• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded prices for ungraded books

64 posts in this topic

So what does the slabbed book market do to the raw book market? is it good or bad??

THe slabbed market absolutely kills the VF+ to NM- market, just kills it.

So what does the slabbed book market do to the raw book market? is it good or bad??

THe slabbed market absolutely kills the VF+ to NM- market, just kills it.

I agree most slabs under 9.2 are considered junk. And before somebody chimes in. Golden Age, Key Books and early SA are exceptions. The instances I mentioned are better for restoration detection,and peace of mind in grading.

Think about it, what is a 9.0 worth compared to 9.2 or better. Peanuts, unless we are talking about the exceptions I stated.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what does everyone here think about sellers charging graded prices on books that have not been graded?

They won't be selling too many, that's for sure.( not to knowledgable collectors, anyway ) The disparity between the pricing of raw and CGC graded books is no accident.......the raw book is a maybe and the CGC is a sure thing. ( industry's best resto check and liquidity due to grade not being questioned, if reselling down the road )

A seller MAY consistantly be able to get full boat on raw books if his grading is known to be real tight, there is a resto free certificate from Susan Cicconi, and a great return policy..........the thing is, the only dealer I can think of offering that level of security on a raw book is Marnin Rosenberg / Collectors Assemble...with him, a "graded price" on a raw book would be justified.

A seller can ask whatever he wants for a book, and spin it any number of ways, but ultimately, the marketplace will decide if the price is justified. For me, I usually pay around 75%-80% of CGC graded price on a raw book......leaves me room to cover grading fees, a .05 grade and PQ differential, and still have a little wiggle room to get a good deal.....which is needed for taking a chance on a raw book purchase in the 1st place.

Steve

Thats why I love that most peole sell slabbed 9.0 or less books for super cheap usually

Yea, cuz no one wants to show off low grade books. Its the HG they wanna pull out and say "Look what I got ! " Cant blame them either being as the prices on HG books are higher, you should have SOME kind of bragging rights.

You will see alot of that here, and it's enjoyable someone discussing an issue of whatever title and *bang* Next is someones scan of that book in 9.6/9.8. And then keyboards are ruined due to drool, well I hope it's drool.

Thats why I love that most peole sell slabbed 9.0 or less books for super cheap usually

Yea, cuz no one wants to show off low grade books.

Seriously?! When did 9.0 become "low grade"? :screwy:

I agree I would say that 9.0 is low grade only in current on the shelf Moderns...

I have no issues with 9.0 personally...

hm

I agree I would say that 9.0 is low grade only in current on the shelf Moderns...

I have no issues with 9.0 personally...

hm

Thought I made that point clear already.. When we arent talking about keys, GA, early SA. If you have a copy of Amazing Spider-Man 200 in 9.0, the wow factor is zzz . If you have a copy of Avengers 4 in 9.0 then it's :banana:. If you have a Batman 1 in 9.0 then it's (worship)

Bottom line, you're paying for somebody's opinion. That's all. Their opinion.

Not a guarantee.

And there are people in this hobby whose opinions I trust as much as I trust CGCs.

So why shouldn't I pay them the same coin for the same goods? (shrug)

There's no reason not to, but if you ever go to sell the book, the marketplace believes in CGC's grading and doesn't know your guy from Joe Blow.

Well said, Dan. It is more than just an opinion your buying it is a market accepted standard. If you can find someone else whose grading standard is as broadly accepted as CGC's, then that person would also be highly sought after.

That would be PGX...right? :boo:

Not a guarantee.

And there are people in this hobby whose opinions I trust as much as I trust CGCs.

There's no reason not to, but if you ever go to sell the book, the marketplace believes in CGC's grading and doesn't know your guy from Joe Blow.

Not wrong, FD, but we're talking about whether I would pay slabbed prices for raw, and I said I would with certain sellers.

Additionally, if I want to sell it at a later date at slabbed price, I'm going to need to have a potential buyer who trusts me to nail the grade and the resto check.

Think I have any chance? (shrug)

Another consideration is that if you decide to sell the book in the future...let's just say for example it's an AF15 7.0 that you bought 5 years ago (for about $3 grand...hee hee) you can always send it in to CGC, get your 7.0 and then get the going market rate which in this case is $32/34K! :headbang:

Not a guarantee.

If the market can bear it, great...just remember that folks know CGC's opinion, and when you sell...it's second hand knowledge of an opinion.

Not a guarantee.

Well said, Dan. It is more than just an opinion your buying it is a market accepted standard. If you can find someone else whose grading standard is as broadly accepted as CGC's, then that person would also be highly sought after.

Which is not what we're talking about.

We're talking about whether I would pay slabbed prices for raw.

I would, so what does it matter what's 'broadly accepted'?

Sorry, I was referring to the portion of your quote and Dan's reply to it when you said in reference to purchasing slabbed books that you're only paying for someone's opinion when a CGC grade is more than "just" an opinion. It is a market accepted standard. Not your choice to pay slabbed prices for raw books. I did not mean to take it out of context.

If the question is "would you ever pay the same for a raw book in the same grade as a slabbed book," then I think reasonable people can agree that yes, there are situations where that is and should be completely acceptable.

If the question is "should raw books and slabbed books command the same pricing structure," then it's pretty clear to me that the answer is "no" in a general sense, but could be "yes" in certain specific instances

If the question is "would you ever pay the same for a raw book in the same grade as a slabbed book," then I think reasonable people can agree that yes, there are situations where that is and should be completely acceptable.

If the question is "should raw books and slabbed books command the same pricing structure," then it's pretty clear to me that the answer is "no" in a general sense, but could be "yes" in certain specific instances

Waffler.

Not a guarantee.

That would be PGX...right? :boo:

(tsk)

Waffler.

more of a loganberry pancakes guy, myself