• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNBELIEVABLE PEDIGREECOMICS OFFERING NEXT MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

96 posts in this topic

Ok, Foolkiller, noone says you have to be a fan of JLA 1.

But comparing it to Hawkman 1 was just cruel and unnecessary....a total beat down and I think you owe the JLA an apology. Even Aquaman. :baiting:

Okay, but I refuse to apologize to that *spoon* Aquaman.

I wouldn't either. He's probably the least popular "major" character out there.

I have always loved this cover (shrug)

RADE24D32007123_16137.JPG

FK, While I agree JLA #1 should not be anywhere near on par with any of the previous Brave and Bold issues. JLA one has to get some credit as being the first issue of a dedicated ongoing title.

Should Cap #100 ( a book I know you like) be less signifigant than the 41 issues of TOS that came before it which contained dedicated CA stories? Using Overstreet Cap 100 is second in value to only #59 (which would be #1). #100 would be the equivalent to #42. How many issue #'s 42 of any title are worth just 35% less than the #1 issue?

While there are many variables between BandB and TOS, such as TOS being a shared book with Iron Man, as is the same with TTA and ST, it seems to me the value is in the fact that #1's are dedicated ongoing titles. While I may actually not feel as strongly about that, it appears that the majority do, based on market value.

Totally agree with your point being expressed here! (thumbs u

Our marketplace has always placed a higher value on the #1 issues, especailly if they are the first issue of a long and dedicated ongoing run. You need only look at books such as Superman #1, Batman #1, Archie #1, and Spidey #1 for the very obvious examples.

If we follow Brian's line of thinking, then Cap #100 should only be running at something like $80 at top of guide. This will then place it in line with all of Cap's earlier appearances in Tales of Suspense.

In reality, however, the marketplace sets the price and has determined that Cap #100 is more desireable and worth more than TOS #90, even though this does not make any sense from Brian's point of view. Similarly with JLA #1 versus BB #29 and BB #30.

Either way, the book will not see $100K in my personal opinion.

Has anyone put together a list of "Top 10 DC SA/BA Covers That Have Virtually Nothing To Do With The Story Inside"? That one would be on it, I think.

(And Number One would probably be the Wonder Woman "Women's Lib Issue.")

Has anyone put together a list of "Top 10 DC SA/BA Covers That Have Virtually Nothing To Do With The Story Inside"? That one would be on it, I think.

(And Number One would probably be the Wonder Woman "Women's Lib Issue.")

Id have Batman 219 pretty high up on the list also..

I'm not saying it has no importance, just that it's been over rated. Simply because people have bought really isn't all that meaningful to me. The bottom line is that people like to own "number ones". Why value this higher than Brave and the Bold 30? How is the 4th appearance more valuable than the 3rd? JLA 1 is simply a renumbering starting with one, and people have bought into it. This is why I refer to it as a "fake key". Hawkman #1 is a key? Well by your logic since copies 9.0 and below can't even get guide, people are voting on that with their money.

I agree it is a nice book -- should it be on par with B&B 28? No. It's a 4th appearance... and that's about it.

Brian;

Not saying that I disagree with you entirely, but it seems that collectors have clearly spoken that the so-called "fake #1's" do carry a significant value in the marketplace.

For example, how else do you explain the fact that Archie #1 has a higher value in the guide (and possibly in the marketplace) than Pep #22 with the first appearance of Archie? In fact, Archie #1 is probably somewhere around the 15th appearance of Archie once you factor in both the Pep and Jackpot books.

How do you explain the fact that Red Ryder #1 guides for $4,000 or almost 50% more than the first appearance of Red Ryder in Crackajack Funnies which guides at only $2,700? Especially when Red Ryder #1 is probably around the 18th appearance of Red Ryder.

So, just be glad that the JLA #1 is not going for more than the BB #28. Then you would really have something to cry about. lol

As for me personally, I would always take the first appearance over the #1 issue.

cheetah

did u take those pics?

they are incredible books!

thanx for sharing those.

Yes, I took them. Glad people like them.

Nobody is buying JLA #1 because it is the fourth appearance, nor is anybody buying B and B #30 because it is the third appearance...and thats what you have to get away from.

People will buy B and B #30 only if they have both B and B #28 and #29. Nobody sets a goal of owning a B and B #30 as their grail book, but to many people JLA #1 is that book. Thats all I'm saying Brian, take the appearance # out of your equation, because after 1st and 2nd appearances, nobody cares if is the 4th appearance or 40th.

But this is sort of my point... why are people setting JLA #1 as their goal or grail? It's only because it's a number 1 and they want to own the first book of a series... and it's a renumbering... so what about that is really a key... there were three others before it.

Cool Brian, I`ll be expecting you to join me the next time I ask what`s the big deal about ASM #1 (really #2).

Nobody is buying JLA #1 because it is the fourth appearance, nor is anybody buying B and B #30 because it is the third appearance...and thats what you have to get away from.

People will buy B and B #30 only if they have both B and B #28 and #29. Nobody sets a goal of owning a B and B #30 as their grail book, but to many people JLA #1 is that book. Thats all I'm saying Brian, take the appearance # out of your equation, because after 1st and 2nd appearances, nobody cares if is the 4th appearance or 40th.

But this is sort of my point... why are people setting JLA #1 as their goal or grail? It's only because it's a number 1 and they want to own the first book of a series... and it's a renumbering... so what about that is really a key... there were three others before it.

Cool Brian, I`ll be expecting you to join me the next time I ask what`s the big deal about ASM #1 (really #2).

I agree on ASM #1, cover is kinda blah, and it doesn't have nearly the cache as owning AF 15.

That said, I understand why people want to own it, I just disagree about the stature certain #1s have earned.

To your point about ASM 1 compared to AF15 ... I agree there is definitely something more, something tangible about holding the first true appearence of a character. From the cover art(if they are on it) to the splash page and interiors. The comic contains a power that is hard to describe as a collector(for me anyways).

But that said, to the right collector certain #1 issues contain the right mix of characters or titles that floats their boat. So one really cant put a value on it , even if the majority might disagree with their reasoning.

I agree there is definitely something more, something tangible about holding the first true appearence of a character. From the cover art(if they are on it) to the splash page and interiors. The comic contains a power that is hard to describe as a collector(for me anyways).

Then explain the difference between Incredible Hulk 180 and 181...

inertia. Dealers and collectors made the judgment as to which was the first appearance way back when. So it still sticks today. 181 was considered the BETTER first appearance, with the cover, and an entire story with Wolverine. Technically, however, 180 has Wolvie in the story, so it IS the "first" appearance. That fact I think makes each 181 buyer go for a 180 too in case it ever turns around. Opinions change. OOAW 83 is catching 81 and may surpass it someday.

after seeing the amazing prices that the Toth DC HG SA books brought in the last heritage auction, I believe JLA 1 will easily bring 100K.

after seeing the amazing prices that the Toth DC HG SA books brought in the last heritage auction, I believe JLA 1 will easily bring 100K.

I think some very high prices were paid in terms of multiples of Guide, so long as the book remained under $10K. In terms of absolute dollars, I don`t think the Toth books really went for all that much. The 9.4 Flash 123 went for less than $20K and well below what the Western Penn copy sold for a few years ago. $35K each for the 9.4 JLA 1 and 9.2 B&B 28 didn`t seem to be the kind of senses-shattering prices that would cause me to believe that a 9.6 JLA 1 would break $100K.

I hope Doug does well with the books, but I genuinely believe that the number of SA DC collectors who will pay $2000-5000 for a book is pretty large, but the number who will pay over $20K for a book is really miniscule.

and the number who pay above 100K for SA DC is, well, nonexistant so far. A number of books (showcase 4) have been offerred above 100K, but has one ever sold yet?

I was thinking about this issue this weekend, and it just comes down to what was created in the SA vs what was re-created then. DC re-created their heroes. But Marvel BEGAN in the 60s. Marvel was NEW (I know, Torch. Namor. Kazar and Cap aside). The core Marvel line was All-New Heroes for an All New generation.

I think this is the nuts and bolts of the excitement (and prices paid) for the Marvel key books vs the DC books. Theres just no comparison between buying the first ever appearance of Spidey, FF THor or Iron Man to the first SA appearance of somebody; or the new version of a GA superhero. Even the fact that DCs are far scarcer than the Marvels just doesnt excite the masses.

The fact that DCs are far scarcer than Marvels especially in high grade is one reason why I feel that eventually sooner rather than later the 100K barrier will be broken for books such as the JLA 1 9.6 copy. I don't think the JLA 1 9.6 copy will ever be topped and the existence of the 9.6 might have had a influence on the price that the JLA 1 9.4 copy sold for. I was really surprised that a restored Action #1 sold for over 100K in the last Heritage auction so I believe 100K for a book of the magnitude of JLA 1 isn't that much of a stretch! Come on were talking about the Justice League here!