• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So who bought the VF Batman #1 for 100K?

45 posts in this topic

If they were good businessmen, they wouldn`t be comic book dealers. (shrug)

I may just have to put that as my signature line lol

I kind of like your current sig line (thumbs u

If they were good businessmen, they wouldn`t be comic book dealers. (shrug)

I may just have to put that as my signature line lol

Are you going to be able to keep up with all the PM's?

R.

interesting that the Scoop! article did not reference PQ, almost as if it's not important, and only grade matters.

Stephen, if you don't mind sharing with us.....what was the PQ? I find it extremely relevant, especially on a 6 figure record breaking GA sale.

The pages were ow/white.

Don't know about you guys, but rigth there is $10k-$15k+ as far as I'm concerned.

Batman #1 + 1940 + CGC graded 8.0 + Unrestored + OW/W = :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Couldn't think of a better place to spend $100,000 on a single book. The buyer must be thrilled...I know I would be

...and assuming you didn't pay $99,999.99 to acquire it, congrats to you too Metro

Steve

You do realise that color does not necessarily mean supple. I've had white paged books that were only just flexible, but not completely supple. I've had cream pages that were very supple. I had one off white paged book that was close to brittle. So , I think there needs to be an additional way to rate page quality, other than from the whiteness level. Any thoughts on this?

I have collected comics since 1962 and have never seen an example of a book with off-white or white pages that was brittle.

Are you referring to heavily bleached pages that are white/brittle? I don't believe it's possible for pages to age naturally and not turn yellow/tan/brown/brittle.

I do not think that page whiteness always follows lock-step with page quality (I believe that Church copies have generally fresher PQ even when Reillys are whiter), but there is such a high correlation between the two across such a large volume of actual comics that there hasn't been a generally understood need to take a different approach. Basically, the number of exceptions such as BH cited are pretty darn small in the grand scheme of things and, for example, CGC is still free to note "brittle pages" regardless of the color.