• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,613 posts in this topic

I know Tomorrow's Treasures had (has) a copy but I think there are seal tears in the interior so it wouldn't get a blue label. I did have this slabbed. It is the same interior of 7. I don't recall which St. John issue this panel originally appeared in. I once photographed it but neglected to mark it or remember which original issue this story was from. I also have 7 which I got from a fellow board member. Also, I think there was a thread once going where we were trying to figure out the digests. I think what happened with these is that the digests were not a hit so they had a bunch of stock left over from 7 and just stapled a new cover for 9. Recycle and reuse!

I bought Richie"s copy. There aren't any others around!

I am only missing WR # 14, at this point. Missed out on a recent sale of on Ebay.

You have a beautiful set,Joanna. Eh, WR that is...

Out of all St. John's you are only missing WR 14? This would be amazing.

Only missing WR 14 from this title. But, I am close to getting all of them.

What do you think? Do we count Kate as romance? If so, completing my St. John Baker romance set will be a little harder. hm

87776ff4-230f-4edc-a05d-7248b4630dd3_zpse2604f46.jpg

Beautifully drawn by Matt Baker, the Canteen Kate books come across as more screwball dame comics, such as Dan DeCarlo My Friend Irma, My Girl Pearl, and early Millie the Model. Canteen Kate is also found in Fightin' Marines. They are tough to find books.

Where would you put Giant Comics Edition #12, which has the infamous streetwalker cover, with repackaged romance comics inside.

What do you think? Do we count Kate as romance? If so, completing my St. John Baker romance set will be a little harder. hm

87776ff4-230f-4edc-a05d-7248b4630dd3_zpse2604f46.jpg

Beautifully drawn by Matt Baker, the Canteen Kate books come across as more screwball dame comics, such as Dan DeCarlo My Friend Irma, My Girl Pearl, and early Millie the Model. Canteen Kate is also found in Fightin' Marines. They are tough to find books.

Where would you put Giant Comics Edition #12, which has the infamous streetwalker cover, with repackaged romance comics inside.

I would definitely put that one in the romance camp. Tough book to find. We will have to see what the 7.0 goes for.

This was sitting on Metro's site for 4 months! Kept waiting for it to get snatched. Finally grabbed it at a nice price. Never seen a better copy.

authenticpolicecases29.jpg

Nice grab! Those APC covers are Baker's best non-romance work, imho.

This was sitting on Metro's site for 4 months! Kept waiting for it to get snatched. Finally grabbed it at a nice price. Never seen a better copy.

I agree. And they're affordable, although getting nice copies isn't always easy.

Baker did great gun molls in this series. Some of the interiors have terrific GGA.

I agree. And they're affordable, although getting nice copies isn't always possible.

Baker did great gun molls in this series. Some of the interiors have terrific GGA.

Fixed! :D

Metro has that 9.4 Church copy of #13 but I have a suspicion that high-grade copies of many issues may not exist. Unless, that is, there are other Church copies out there that are yet to be graded. I'm skeptical about that because it doesn't appear Church was typically able to buy St John books off the stands.