• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,586 posts in this topic

I remember during the early days of ebay a copy in about that shape if not better sold for less than $200 ( closer to $100 IIRC ) I was the underbidder and dropped out because I had no idea how rare it was and oddball romance was a secondary interest of mine at the time. I really wish I had chased it more, but then again who knows how high the winning bidder was prepared to go.

No, not a swipe. Just picked up a rep as an unattributed cover with Baker slyly tipping his hand on the only drawn Negro cover in romance. Well, maybe there's one or two others. Kinda.

The face of the man in the car is considered "Bakerish" by some, a possible self-portrait. Baker fingers on the woman. The fact that Baker owned a canary yellow Olds convertible. Added to all this speculation is the fact that this book doesn't come around, and never comes around in grade.

According to the Alter Ego article, Jim Vadeboncoeur doesn't think it's Baker. Alberto Becattini feels that Baker was at least responsible for the penciled layout.

The recent Baker book doesn't mention it -- even in the doubtful category, as with the cover of Jo-Jo 25. Perhaps reflecting Vadeboncoeur's view. Doesn't seem like Baker to me, unless his pencils were substantially altered in being inked.

$1,700 seems high but I haven't followed prices on 1950s comics aimed at African-American readers. It's at $635 with eight days to go, so maybe it will get there.

$1,700 seems high but I haven't followed prices on 1950s comics aimed at African-American readers. It's at $635 with eight days to go, so maybe it will get there.

A slabbed 1.8 with brittle pages went for $575 a few months ago - and it could have gone for more. The winner put in a protective bid over his lead in the last few seconds. So we'll see. To tell you the truth I'm as interested in seeing whether Sparkle can reliably sell mid-grade mid-run SA DC romance with start bids of $99.99. For this genre to accomplish that would be a big deal.

It certainly has a Bakerish look to it, especially the attendant, but not obviously so. I'll leave it to the experts to argue.

I thought I recalled reading somewhere that the cover is swiped form an interior splash from either the Fawcett issue reprinted or from one of the others, but I'm not sure.

I'll keep you company.

PictorialLoveStories01fc100_zpsb71f8b99.jpg

Just a beautiful raw copy, Andy.

For genres that I don't collect, I like to have a single example as a lone representative.

I chose this same issue - this copy is not as nice as it looks (major bug chew on spine) but I really like it a lot nonetheless:

79521cec-9f9b-4aba-9e4d-b258a733db1a_zps97c1d834.jpg

Absolutely love that book.

Here's mine:

TrueLovePictorial4.jpg

And these two are also personal very favourites! It's a terrific run!

TrueLovePictorial5.jpg

TrueLovePictorial11-1.jpg

This one never gets enough props, IMO...

tlp9_zps549c619c.jpg

I love this book and can't find a copy for the life of me.

Great copy - might be the toughest issue of the title, which is saying something!. I have had several copies of many Baker Romance in the past 10 or 15 years, but only ever had one of this, and much inferior to Rick's copy!

Stonking book buddy!

I wanted that TLP 6 but just had too many other books to pay for at the time. That 11 is a sweet copy, too. (thumbs u

I guess 2 and 7 are the only issues not recently posted in this thread. I can come up with one of them...

tlp2_zpsdd30b403.jpg

His inks were incredible.

I always figured that covers he signed were the ones inked by him.

That makes a lot of sense. And the quote below from Alter Ego, concerning the St. John years:

"It must be said that his covers would generally look better than his interior work, as he would usually ink them himself. Once again, some inkers would make his drawing look rather stiff here and there, and the heavier-handed ones amongst them would even "hide" his pencils...

Once again, Ray Osrin was the inker who best interpreted Baker's pencils."