• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,586 posts in this topic

Interesting. The Wartime Romances 7 is an 8.0 (there is an 8.5 on the census). I wonder if either the Teen-Age Romances 2 and 3 (both of which sold seven years ago for very strong prices) have ever been graded?

The highest graded TAR 3 on the census is only a 7.5. Looking at the HA scan that would be a reasonable grade for that book. TAR 2 has two 8.0s on the census. One is the Ohio copy that I own. Once again, judging from the scan, I don't see the Church copy as necessarily grading any higher. Given that, the prices for the TARs seem really high. The WR 7 seems more reasonable, although the copy suffers from St John tanning/bleed through on both front and back covers.

I'm not convinced that there is necessarily a mother lode of Church 9.2+ Baker romance books out there waiting to be sprung on an unsuspecting collecting world.

I seem to remember this one being on eBay when it was still raw, and selling for a relatively low price. Can't remember where I got this scan of the same book slabbed, though.

Seems like further confirmation that the Church copies of Baker romance books are not typically high grade. There are a few 9.2+ Baker romance books on the census. Are any of them Church copies?

Interesting. The Wartime Romances 7 is an 8.0 (there is an 8.5 on the census). I wonder if either the Teen-Age Romances 2 and 3 (both of which sold seven years ago for very strong prices) have ever been graded?

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=304468

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=304471

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=304468

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=304471

Ouch! The seller(s) took a bath on those two!

Be interesting to see what this one looks like in hand. Fuzzy photo accompanied by the dreaded "not graded - I am not a grader." Hard to resist, though, with the full cover and a couple of Baker stories, particularly since there is only one graded copy -- a 4.0.

KGrHqFoEFEDFzjJHTBRroYI9JQ60_3_zps6ab37c1b.jpg

This was the first Baker I bought (not this particular copy). Started a dangerous addiction. :)

One of my favorite covers. Those girls are something else.

diarysecrets22.jpg

"I'll do anything ... anything ... and tonight's my only chance!" :D

Tough book. Your copy is in a triple tie at the top of the census.

One of my favorite covers. Those girls are something else.

diarysecrets22.jpg

"I'll do anything ... anything ... and tonight's my only chance!" :D

Tough book. Your copy is in a triple tie at the top of the census.

Top of census is 4.0. That's a tough book alright. My copy looks nicer but has back cover issues.

Edited by comixnoir

Remember this book, sold by the sports card guy for $1299 BIN? A press and a slab and it's back offered by Sparkle, on consignment I would imagine. Those color spots on the front and the possibility of resto kept me out of that one, which ultimately was not an issue. The back, though...looked relatively clean in the original auction except mild shadow lines etc.

However, in the slab the stain on the back top is a whole different story. I would have been unpleasantly surprised when I opened the mail. It'll need to get $1732 to return a profit to the buyer.

NegroRomance04f_zps3319e9e6.jpg

NegroRomance0450f_1158169006_zps922727cc.jpg

NegroRomance04b_zps5b39586c.jpg

NegroRomance0450b_1158169006_zpsfb562c35.jpg

Remember this book, sold by the sports card guy for $1299 BIN? A press and a slab and it's back offered by Sparkle, on consignment I would imagine. Those color spots on the front and the possibility of resto kept me out of that one, which ultimately was not an issue. The back, though...looked relatively clean in the original auction except mild shadow lines etc.

However, in the slab the stain on the back top is a whole different story. I would have been unpleasantly surprised when I opened the mail. It'll need to get $1732 to return a profit to the buyer.

NegroRomance04f_zps3319e9e6.jpg

NegroRomance0450f_1158169006_zps922727cc.jpg

NegroRomance04b_zps5b39586c.jpg

NegroRomance0450b_1158169006_zpsfb562c35.jpg

Great comic!

No, not a swipe. Just picked up a rep as an unattributed cover with Baker slyly tipping his hand on the only drawn Negro cover in romance. Well, maybe there's one or two others. Kinda.

The face of the man in the car is considered "Bakerish" by some, a possible self-portrait. Baker fingers on the woman. The fact that Baker owned a canary yellow Olds convertible. Added to all this speculation is the fact that this book doesn't come around, and never comes around in grade.

According to the Alter Ego article, Jim Vadeboncoeur doesn't think it's Baker. Alberto Becattini feels that Baker was at least responsible for the penciled layout.