• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

The painted covers are also definitely not Baker.

He only did the line covers with exception of the aforementioned AP AT LS #2.

Good point. Benson is only talking about the line covers, not the painted covers.

I believe that teen-age romances 26 and 27 have covers not by Baker and with a very similar looking cover and style to the all picture 2.

The recent Matt Baker and the Art of Glamour book does list those two as having covers by Baker -- reflecting, I would guess, the views of Jim Vadeboncoeur. But without any surviving records from St John, I don't know if it's possible to always distinguish between Baker and another artist who is consciously copying his style or perhaps even collaborating with him.

Looks like the contents for the Record Book of Famous Police Cases are:

Western Bandit Trails

Son of Sinbad

2 Authentic Police Cases

There is some Baker in the Western Bandit Trails and some Kubert from the Son of Sinbad.

You don't see this one come up often for sale.

img127.jpg

The highest graded...the ONLY graded...Teen-Age Diary Secrets 9. Not often seen is right, more like never! And that is one heck of a nicely presenting 4.0. Graded back in '08 - was that your submit, Joanna?

Those chuckleheads in Sarasota can't seem to keep these titles straight btw. It's Teen-Age Diary Secrets, of course, not Diary Secrets. And to add insult to injury, it is a Baker cover for which cgc didn't credit him on the label. The only Baker cover of the run for this 6 issue title. True, it's not an original cover - it's a blowup of an interior panel. Don't ask me from which story though. For that we'd need to have an open copy of the book. Anyone?

Also, interestingly enough, this issue is an all Baker reprint, 68 big pages in a little digest format, and it's an exact reprint page for page of Teen-Age Diary Secrets #7.

I know Tomorrow's Treasures had (has) a copy but I think there are seal tears in the interior so it wouldn't get a blue label. I did have this slabbed. It is the same interior of 7. I don't recall which St. John issue this panel originally appeared in. I once photographed it but neglected to mark it or remember which original issue this story was from. I also have 7 which I got from a fellow board member. Also, I think there was a thread once going where we were trying to figure out the digests. I think what happened with these is that the digests were not a hit so they had a bunch of stock left over from 7 and just stapled a new cover for 9. Recycle and reuse!

Definitely hard to find. This is the only other copy I have ever seen other than the one I purchased below. I will have to check out the one Muchin has for sale.

photo teenagediarysecrets9_zpsc812a3ed.jpg

img127.jpg

The highest graded...the ONLY graded...Teen-Age Diary Secrets 9. Not often seen is right, more like never! And that is one heck of a nicely presenting 4.0. Graded back in '08 - was that your submit, Joanna?

Those chuckleheads in Sarasota can't seem to keep these titles straight btw. It's Teen-Age Diary Secrets, of course, not Diary Secrets. And to add insult to injury, it is a Baker cover for which cgc didn't credit him on the label. The only Baker cover of the run for this 6 issue title. True, it's not an original cover - it's a blowup of an interior panel. Don't ask me from which story though. For that we'd need to have an open copy of the book. Anyone?

Also, interestingly enough, this issue is an all Baker reprint, 68 big pages in a little digest format, and it's an exact reprint page for page of Teen-Age Diary Secrets #7.

I know Tomorrow's Treasures had (has) a copy but I think there are seal tears in the interior so it wouldn't get a blue label. I did have this slabbed. It is the same interior of 7. I don't recall which St. John issue this panel originally appeared in. I once photographed it but neglected to mark it or remember which original issue this story was from. I also have 7 which I got from a fellow board member. Also, I think there was a thread once going where we were trying to figure out the digests. I think what happened with these is that the digests were not a hit so they had a bunch of stock left over from 7 and just stapled a new cover for 9. Recycle and reuse!

Definitely hard to find. This is the only other copy I have ever seen other than the one I purchased below. I will have to check out the one Muchin has for sale.

Muchin sold that copy. Unfortunately, not to me! :cry:

Although a photo cover, this St. John giant was also pretty hard to find. I have only seen one or two copies over the years.

photo GiantComicsEdition7_zps8ecfef3f.jpg

I have never seen a copy of this issue anywhere!!
Not in the best of shape but here is mine... romanceconfession_zps272b3972.jpg

Although a photo cover, this St. John giant was also pretty hard to find. I have only seen one or two copies over the years.

I think any shape counts on this one! (thumbs u

I think any shape counts on this one! (thumbs u
Agree 100%. Some of these are crazy rare and who knows if and when another one will become available.

img127.jpg

I have Richie"s copy. It has a little glue along the binding, but still a decent copy. Matter of fact, the only copy I could come across!