• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

Happy to win this "comic that never was." Although it seems to be often referred to as "Diary Secrets 4" as the CGC label has it, it actually isn't. (Note that Harley currently has a raw copy listed on eBay with the same title.) Nor is it "Teen-Age Diary Secrets 4" as the cover seems to indicate. It's actually Blue Ribbon Comics 4 and has a cover and two stories by our man -- although not attributed on the CGC label.

Unless, of course, I'm mistaken. If so, somebody please wise me up! hm

1173788015a_zps073446bf.jpg

Happy to win this "comic that never was." Although it seems to be often referred to as "Diary Secrets 4" as the CGC label has it, it actually isn't. (Note that Harley currently has a raw copy listed on eBay with the same title.) Nor is it "Teen-Age Diary Secrets 4" as the cover seems to indicate. It's actually Blue Ribbon Comics 4 and has a cover and two stories by our man -- although not attributed on the CGC label.

Sweet pickup. Finding and owning any Baker book in the VF range is a treat.

I'm surprised at the price you got it for. That was always seen as a tough book, although I've seen more over the years. Nice cover. One of the first Baker romances I ever picked up.

It is Blue Ribbon Comics #4.

I'm surprised at the price you got it for. That was always seen as a tough book, although I've seen more over the years. Nice cover. One of the first Baker romances I ever picked up.

I was pleased by the price. Kind of funny that neither the consignor nor SC realized it was a Baker book, particularly given the success -- and strong prices -- SC has had with auctioning Bakers.

I was pleased by the price. Kind of funny that neither the consignor nor SC realized it was a Baker book, particularly given the success -- and strong prices -- SC has had with auctioning Bakers.

Might the reason you did so well. Cgc didn't note it on their label and Sparkle probably only states what cgc says.

Might the reason you did so well. Cgc didn't note it on their label and Sparkle probably only states what cgc says.

Definitely a very good pickup at a very reasonable price. This book may not be the rarest of Baker Romance books, but the condition makes this a great deal. Not to mention a fantastic Baker good girl cover. Congrats!

1633097574_9808aca507_b.jpg

bb

Is that #9?

OK for me to upload to GCD?

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,

The cover above is for Blue Ribbon #4. I posted the cover on the GCD website today as requested. There seemed to be some confusion about which issue this was and I hope that it is clear now. For confirmation, check the Gerber guide.

bb

I was confused. (Is that even worth mentioning when it comes to the numbering of some of these old throwaway series?)

You're confirming that Blue Ribbon (St John) 4 and 5 (cover title Teen-Age Diary Secrets) are NOT the same as Teen-Age Diary Secrets (St John) 4 (noted in OS as oversized 9/49) and 5 (noted in OS and GCD as unnumbered, also 9/49). Those last two are not shown in Gerber, at least under the Teen-Age Diary Secrets title.

Looks like you've got it all straightened out at GCD -- thanks.

Nice to get these Baker covers straightened out, and it provides a chance to ogle his drawings of hot babes in tight dresses for noble, archival purposes.

Jack

Here is a bump from page 5. I think Jack straightened this one out a few years ago. My copy is still raw.

1633097574_9808aca507_b.jpg

bb

Is that #9?

OK for me to upload to GCD?

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,

The cover above is for Blue Ribbon #4. I posted the cover on the GCD website today as requested. There seemed to be some confusion about which issue this was and I hope that it is clear now. For confirmation, check the Gerber guide.

bb

I was confused. (Is that even worth mentioning when it comes to the numbering of some of these old throwaway series?)

You're confirming that Blue Ribbon (St John) 4 and 5 (cover title Teen-Age Diary Secrets) are NOT the same as Teen-Age Diary Secrets (St John) 4 (noted in OS as oversized 9/49) and 5 (noted in OS and GCD as unnumbered, also 9/49). Those last two are not shown in Gerber, at least under the Teen-Age Diary Secrets title.

Looks like you've got it all straightened out at GCD -- thanks.

Nice to get these Baker covers straightened out, and it provides a chance to ogle his drawings of hot babes in tight dresses for noble, archival purposes.

Jack

Here is a bump from page 5. I think Jack straightened this one out a few years ago. My copy is still raw.

Overstreet can be shaky on some of these romance titles, but I think he has the Blue Ribbon/Diary Secrets/Teen-Age Diary Secrets books correct. Now if we could just get CGC on board!

Very nice copy. If you had it graded, it would probably be at the top of the census.

Thought the Cindy 26 went for a strong price in the CC auction. I was naively thinking I would win it for what turned out to be less than half the winning bid. doh! I was tempted to go higher but I'm not positive that my raw copy wouldn't grade that high and I've seen a couple of other raws in that range. Still, whoever won it got a nice copy of a tough book. (thumbs u

Anyone know the venue for the Cindy 29, 5.0 that sold in June? I've been on the lookout for a copy but didn't see the listing. hm

Thought the Cindy 26 went for a strong price in the CC auction. I was naively thinking I would win it for what turned out to be less than half the winning bid. doh! I was tempted to go higher but I'm not positive that my raw copy wouldn't grade that high and I've seen a couple of other raws in that range. Still, whoever won it got a nice copy of a tough book. (thumbs u

Anyone know the venue for the Cindy 29, 5.0 that sold in June? I've been on the lookout for a copy but didn't see the listing. hm

I haven't been following the auctions. Could you link the page of what it sold for?

I kind of like these two...

PictorialRomances17front_zpscbaf6b14.jpg

Someone just listed the other 7.5 on eBay with a BIN of $1,700. :o

I thought I was crazy to pay what I paid -- and I didn't pay nearly that much for my copy!

The eBay seller is billing his copy as the "highest graded," but we know that in fact it's tied for that honor with your copy. I bought a raw copy from Harley a while back that he graded as VF. He can be a little exuberant in grading so I would guess it would come back below 7.5.