• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,400 posts in this topic

People say this is the toughest WR. I got my copy around 2000 when I first started collecting St. John's. Came out of a box of Bakers Harley got from a collector. I purchased a few- should have bought the whole box.

wartimeeomances3.jpg

Nice copy. I can believe its rarity. Only three on the census and I could only find one in the HA archives -- a 4.0 sold in 2007. One of the holes in my collection.

You gotta love Harley; he comes up with great stuff. He offered me a group of Bakers a while back. Relatively common but most were in nice condition. Scooped 'em up! :D

This is an interesting cover. By the time it was published Baker was already gone from St John. This feels like an unfinished sketch that was filled in. I find the character posing evocative - the juxtaposition of the man's nonchalant hand in pocket with his woman's arm threaded through in a tender clutch.

However, the background is atrocious, both in terms of composition and coloring. The bullpen doesn't have to be landscape quality, but those clouds (cumulus, btw, and a favorite staple of certain artists like Colletta, who made it an art form in itself) are just wrong. The perspective is alarming. It suggests they're on top of a very high mountain, in which case the foliage is off. And then adding those strange cirrus clouds, coming in from the right edge. The two tone sky coloring, and what's that color extension on the left all about?

Individually, those elements are a mess. But in this case is the sum greater than the parts? does this cover work for you and mesh upon first sight?

This is an interesting cover. By the time it was published Baker was already gone from St John. This feels like an unfinished sketch that was filled in. I find the character posing evocative - the juxtaposition of the man's nonchalant hand in pocket with his woman's arm threaded through in a tender clutch.

However, the background is atrocious, both in terms of composition and coloring. The bullpen doesn't have to be landscape quality, but those clouds (cumulus, btw, and a favorite staple of certain artists like Colletta, who made it an art form in itself) are just wrong. The perspective is alarming. It suggests they're on top of a very high mountain, in which case the foliage is off. And then adding those strange cirrus clouds, coming in from the right edge. The two tone sky coloring, and what's that color extension on the left all about?

Individually, those elements are a mess. But in this case is the sum greater than the parts? does this cover work for you and mesh upon first sight?

Great analysis. Rick Starr makes a good point that a better copy might increase the attractiveness. I agree that the man and woman are posed in an interesting and appealing way, while the background is rather problematic.

The cover from the previous issue is one of my favorites. Don't know if it's also from inventory, but it certainly seems more finished than No. 27. My understanding from the Benson book is that by this time St John was skating by making up books from reprints and old inventory.

DIARYSECRETS26_zps2c443513.jpg

I have a question for the experts. I remember that when SC had a big bunch of Baker books a couple months back there was some chatter about some of them not being on the census yet.

There was a Cinderella Love 25 that sold and by looking at GPA it was a 6.0 and has never shown up. I saw the 5.5 on CL and wanted to search a bit, this copy looks to be the 2nd 5.5 and I guess the 6.0 was regarded a 7.5? The timelines make sense but the 6.0 is nowhere to be found on CGC Data.

Is it pretty normal to have things not show up on CGC Data? Does anyone know if this book was indeed bumped to a 7.5 or is this 5.5 the old 6.0 (graded about 2 months after 6.0 auction)

Thanks

Rory

I have a question for the experts. I remember that when SC had a big bunch of Baker books a couple months back there was some chatter about some of them not being on the census yet.

There was a Cinderella Love 25 that sold and by looking at GPA it was a 6.0 and has never shown up. I saw the 5.5 on CL and wanted to search a bit, this copy looks to be the 2nd 5.5 and I guess the 6.0 was regarded a 7.5? The timelines make sense but the 6.0 is nowhere to be found on CGC Data.

Is it pretty normal to have things not show up on CGC Data? Does anyone know if this book was indeed bumped to a 7.5 or is this 5.5 the old 6.0 (graded about 2 months after 6.0 auction)

Thanks

Rory

The 6.0 is there but the label misspelled the title as "Cindrella Love." Search the census under that title and you'll find it.

I forget who discovered this, but it's mentioned somewhere in this thread.

Yes, and it will only cost you... one billion, gagillion, fafillion, shabolubalu million illion yillion dollars.

I know. He may as well have set that as the price. I can't see him getting close to $3,300 for a 6.0 copy of that book, scarce though it is.