• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

Wow, I didn't know "teardrop cover" was a thing, but it really is. Learn something new every day.

I guess these EC's are well behind the curve in terms of "first teardrop cover," right?

Sorry, we can get back to Matt Baker...

Nice group of books!

Wow, I didn't know "teardrop cover" was a thing, but it really is. Learn something new every day. I guess these EC's are well behind the curve in terms of "first teardrop cover," right? Sorry, we can get back to Matt Baker...

Nice group of books!

I agree. Whoever submitted them to the Grand Comics Database has nice copies. ;)

Wow, I didn't know "teardrop cover" was a thing, but it really is. Learn something new every day. I guess these EC's are well behind the curve in terms of "first teardrop cover," right? Sorry, we can get back to Matt Baker...

Nice group of books!

I agree. Whoever submitted them to the Grand Comics Database has nice copies. ;)

lol

Here's a recent purchase. Really love the coloring and composition on this cover. As usual, my scanner washes out the color but in person they are very deep.

Ken

TR33_zps48609eaa.jpg

A beautiful copy. Is this from the Sixth St. collection? Some fantastic Baker romance books surfaced from this recent collection. I just picked up the GCE # 13.

Still some books available.

Here's a recent purchase. Really love the coloring and composition on this cover. As usual, my scanner washes out the color but in person they are very deep.

Ken

TR33_zps48609eaa.jpg

A beautiful copy. Is this from the Sixth St. collection? Some fantastic Baker romance books surfaced from this recent collection. I just picked up the GCE # 13.

I picked up a couple as well. The guy selling them on eBay is asking some pretty strong prices, though.

Ken

TR33_zps48609eaa.jpg

I picked up a couple as well. The guy selling them on eBay is asking some pretty strong prices, though.

Yes, from that collection. Amazing books and the cover on this one really grabs me. Did either of you crack them out?

Ken

TR33_zps48609eaa.jpg

I just had to grab one of these, too. (And I very nearly bought that sweet TR 33, instead...) The colors are amazing, really fresh and lustrous. For high grade Baker romance, the offerings in this collection are among the best we've seen in the past ten years. Besides many "Highest Graded" examples, a number of the ultra rare and HTF books are present, as well (like the 100 page rebound giants, and the Diary Secrets digest.)

That seller's stuff is phenomenal. I wonder how much money he has raked in during the past few months. He has sold countless individual pulps for as much as $400 to $700.

Ken

TR33_zps48609eaa.jpg

I just had to grab one of these, too. (And I very nearly bought that sweet TR 33, instead...) The colors are amazing, really fresh and lustrous. For high grade Baker romance, the offerings in this collection are among the best we've seen in the past ten years. Besides many "Highest Graded" examples, a number of the ultra rare and HTF books are present, as well (like the 100 page rebound giants, and the Diary Secrets digest.)

His prices on the non-highest graded copies are high, but not impossible. But $1,700 for a 7.5 Pictorial Romances 17? I have a raw copy that I'm pretty sure would grade at least that high -- particularly with a press. If I had had that one graded and it had come back, say, 8.5, he would probably be pricing his copy at maybe $750. So anyone buying at the current price is spending in the neighborhood of an extra $1,000 for the distinction of owning what may turn out to be only briefly the highest graded copy.

Again, that Diary Secrets 9 is great, but $3,300 for a 6.0? I would be surprised if there is anyone willing to pay half that.

There are about 5,000 books in the collection :o Many more to come.

Ken

I wonder if he thought about trying to get a pedigree designation from CGC? Seems as if it would have been merited.

Ken

TR33_zps48609eaa.jpg

Yes, from that collection. Amazing books and the cover on this one really grabs me. Did either of you crack them out?

Haven't cracked mine.

There are about 5,000 books in the collection :o Many more to come.

Ken

I wonder if he thought about trying to get a pedigree designation from CGC? Seems as if it would have been merited.

I was thinking the same thing. Or at least certificates to show that each book came from the collection.

Ken

Ken

TR33_zps48609eaa.jpg

His prices on the non-highest graded copies are high, but not impossible. But $1,700 for a 7.5 Pictorial Romances 17? I have a raw copy that I'm pretty sure would grade at least that high -- particularly with a press. If I had had that one graded and it had come back, say, 8.5, he would probably be pricing his copy at maybe $750. So anyone buying at the current price is spending in the neighborhood of an extra $1,000 for the distinction of owning what may turn out to be only briefly the highest graded copy.

Again, that Diary Secrets 9 is great, but $3,300 for a 6.0? I would be surprised if there is anyone willing to pay half that.

I feel a little torn about some of these prices. On one hand, it feels like the collecting community is finally realizing how rare these books are in Fine or better and how much more desirable they are than a Walking Dead 1 in 9.8. On the other hand, the guide has been very very low on most of these books for a long time and it feels a little bit like price gouging,

I guess only time will tell if the new pricing tier on these books brings out more high grade copies or if what we are seeing now is as good as it gets and these prices turn out to be pretty sweet deals.

Ken

TR33_zps48609eaa.jpg

I have not received my book yet. I do have a low grade GCE 13 to read and look at, so I will not likely crack this copy. This copy just sat there on Ebay as a buy it now option for awhile, It was driving me crazy until I just had to pull the switch and purchase it. Steep price, but what the heck, you only live once.

I have not received my book yet. I do have a low grade GCE 13 to read and look at, so I will not likely crack this copy. This copy just sat there on Ebay as a buy it now option for awhile, It was driving me crazy until I just had to pull the switch and purchase it. Steep price, but what the heck, you only live once.

I stared at it for weeks as well. Very conflicted as to whether to pull the trigger. Glad you took that decision away from me.

I stared at it for weeks as well. Very conflicted as to whether to pull the trigger. Glad you took that decision away from me.

I also looked at the GCE 13 and debated on whether it was worth it. For me the decision came down to the cover. It is cool, but not one of my all-time favorite Baker covers. Still, a rare GCE and a must have for all Baker collectors.

Hi, CGC requires a complete list of every book in a collection prior to issuing a pedigree and I could not give them that list because of the way the collection was being sold to me.

The books came to the shop in groups of 30 to 50 or so books at a time, sometimes two times a day, 7 days a week (my wife loved me having to run in on my days off) in boxes or Walmart bags or just carried in by one of the family members starting in May and not ending until the beginning of November. Sometimes it would be comics, sometimes pulps or paperbacks or movie magazines from the 20's and 30's.

My intention was to wait until I got all the comics and try the pedigree route but I was paying out so much money every day and the family refused to let me make an offer on the entire estate as they decided that they were making more money parceling it out to me that I was put in a position of having to sell some of the books to get more money to funnel back to the family to buy more of the books which killed the idea of a pedigree. Quite a run on sentence huh? I was also in a position of paying a lot more than I normally would have for a collection because I really didnt want them to take the books anywhere else. I couldnt say much about the collection either as it was still coming in and I was worried about someone coming into the area to try and track it down. Sound paranoid? When I did make a couple of minor announcements some of the people who contacted me within 24 hours gave me the royal creeps and I wouldnt have put it past them to get on a plane if they sniffed any opportunity to ferret out the books.

There were about 100 books that went to another dealer early on and those were resold very quickly out of the area. I told them to hold on to them and I would try for the pedigree but they just flipped them the next day.

The family was very nice and they wanted to do the deal their way and thats the way they did it which was their prerogative. I wish it had played out a bit differently and quicker but in the end I got some amazing books but no official pedigree. Craig

The family was very nice and they wanted to do the deal their way and thats the way they did it which was their prerogative. I wish it had played out a bit differently and quicker but in the end I got some amazing books but no official pedigree.

Great story and description of how the sale went down. That's pretty funny about hungry collectors giving you "the royal creeps" trying to get an inside line to your stuff, and I can totally imagine what that must have been like. I'd like to hear more about the backstory of the collection -- who the family member was, how/where the books were stored, etc.