• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,400 posts in this topic

Pictorial Romances 15. Only one original 9 pg Baker story - not a lot of output in this issue compared to some of the others in this run (Giants!). And this is one of the split panel covers from 1952, the year the editors decided to shake it up and try something new visually. Romance had imploded, all the publishers were either out or freaking about getting pushed out.

Still, a real nice main panel - nice inking on the oil field, and the guy's profile is detailed and refined rather than sloppy and brutish.

PictorialRomances15fc100_zpsa805f7bc.jpg

Nice one! All the elements of a killer romance cover:

- hot babe

- cool dude

- sick art

- alcohol & tobacco

^^

And the phallic oilpumps in the background.

Proving kind of tough to find these Baker Canteen Kate issues in nice shape, so I was happy to get this VGish one.

_57_zps5d0a57b5.jpg

Just for fun, I looked at the census for the highest graded copy of each issue:

15 (1) 5.0

2 7.0

3. 4.0

4. 8.5

5. 7.5

6. 7.0

7. No copies

8. 4.0

9. 5.5

10 No copies

Granted there certainly must be some nice raw copies out there that their owners haven't wanted/bothered to have graded. Still, I was surprised that out of 10 issues, the highest was a single 8.5

I really, really, really need a copy of Wartime Romances 17 in VG or better if any of you Baker people have one for sale...PM me...please... :takeit:

I really, really, really wish I could help you out. At the moment, all I can do is wish you good luck on your quest. That's a great cover.

(thumbs u

Anyone else interested in photo covers with Baker art, cause I have some...

I haven't posted any Baker love in a while, so...

Hollywood Pictorial 3. Sorry, but you St. John completists need this one too. One Baker story inside. It's true, even for photo covers, it's meh. Nevertheless, hard to track down - one 9.4 in the census, that's it. Lack of interest?

HollywoodPictorial03fc100_zpsd5005786.jpg

Anyone else interested in photo covers with Baker art, cause I have some...

I haven't posted any Baker love in a while, so...

Hollywood Pictorial 3. Sorry, but you St. John completists need this one too. One Baker story inside. It's true, even for photo covers, it's meh. Nevertheless, hard to track down - one 9.4 in the census, that's it. Lack of interest?

HollywoodPictorial03fc100_zpsd5005786.jpg

Post away, BK!

Speaking of which (kinda), a TLP 1 7.0 -- photo cover and NO Baker stories -- just sold for $176.68 (including postage). Seems high since I bought my 6.5 copy not too long ago for $82.

Proving kind of tough to find these Baker Canteen Kate issues in nice shape, so I was happy to get this VGish one.

_57_zps5d0a57b5.jpg

15 (1) 5.0

2 7.0

3. 4.0

4. 8.5

5. 7.5 (I have D Crippen VF copy)

6. 7.0

7. No copies

8. 4.0

9. 5.5

10 No copies

in my collection

Granted there certainly must be some nice raw copies out there that their owners haven't wanted/bothered to have graded. Still, I was surprised that out of 10 issues, the highest was a single 8.5

agree better copies do exist, Baker is known for romance but his other non-romance stuff is great.

some of my Fightin Marines books.

photo1_zps67663ca5.jpg

photo_zps20f39f3b.jpg

Edited by kat123

_57_zps5d0a57b5.jpg

15 (1) 5.0

2 7.0

3. 4.0

4. 8.5

5. 7.5 (I have D Crippen VF copy)

6. 7.0

7. No copies

8. 4.0

9. 5.5

10 No copies

in my collection

agree better copies do exist, Baker is known for romance but his other non-romance stuff is great.

some of my Fightin Marines books.

photo1_zps67663ca5.jpg

photo_zps20f39f3b.jpg

Nice books. I do wonder if there are any 9.0 and up copies out there. hm