• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

Mine are generally a bit on the extra expensive side but you can always crack the case yourself. I just sent a book out that the new owner had me open the case and just send the interior one as he wanted to read the book - Football Thrills #2. There were only two graded copies in the census and I had both. Now there is only one still actually graded....

As for eye appeal - everyone of these books are beautiful. Even the 4.0 presents itself very well.

I prefer being able to look at the interior myself but its much easier for me to have them graded and then just list them when they are of particular note like Baker, Cole or Frazetta. There are 39 magazine boxes full of books from this collection that will not be sent in and will just be shot and listed.

There may be more in the future too. The family just brought me another 1,500 40's and 50's magazines which means after a dead four months of nothing new, they are back to working on the houses. Craig

Yes, list them here and in the sales thread, and show us scans! However, be aware that there are people like me who will not buy an encapsulated book...no matter what it is...unless it's really cheap...

Then, boy howdy, will you sure want to avoid that sale!

:roflmao: You're probably right... I have bought only one slabbed book, and promptly cracked the plastic and put it in a Mylar. It cost me $100 under guide and was only a 6.5 FYI, there is one less Crime Does Not Pay #33 that is graded 6.5...

Edited by tricolorbrian

Mine are generally a bit on the extra expensive side but you can always crack the case yourself. I just sent a book out that the new owner had me open the case and just send the interior one as he wanted to read the book - Football Thrills #2. There were only two graded copies in the census and I had both. Now there is only one still actually graded....

As for eye appeal - everyone of these books are beautiful. Even the 4.0 presents itself very well.

I prefer being able to look at the interior myself but its much easier for me to have them graded and then just list them when they are of particular note like Baker, Cole or Frazetta. There are 39 magazine boxes full of books from this collection that will not be sent in and will just be shot and listed.

There may be more in the future too. The family just brought me another 1,500 40's and 50's magazines which means after a dead four months of nothing new, they are back to working on the houses. Craig

There have been some truly fantastic books coming out of this collection, that's for sure. I hope you're able to find a way to get CGC to retroactively assign a pedigree status to the collection, as you mentioned in an earlier post.

There have been some truly fantastic books coming out of this collection, that's for sure. I hope you're able to find a way to get CGC to retroactively assign a pedigree status to the collection, as you mentioned in an earlier post.

Would have been nice. I don't think there is any pedigree that has more than a few Baker romance books in it.

Nice group! Some key offerings, new highs. Quite the selection.

If you prefer I not notify this group when more Baker come back please let me know. thanks! Craig

I'd prefer a closed sealed bid auction for the True Believers! Set a reserve floor and let us have first crack. But if that's not to be...the heads up is much appreciated!

Man o man, that's the collection that keeps on giving. Hard to plan around, but that's what you call a quality problem.

TLP #7 8.0 - a high that's tied with one other and one you don't see every day

#8 5.5 - new highest, really only graded copy for all practical purposes

#11 6.5 - new highest in one of the top 5 (?) covers. Gnashing of teeth from the owner of the 6.0 at some undisclosed top $ price.

Blue Ribbon #5 7.0 - census makes it look like only graded. Don't be misled - the highest 8.5 is lurking mislabeled as Diary Secrets #5

TAT #2 7.5 - new high for a happy cover that is always a crowd favorite. Is cgc really grading harder now than 2006, which is when the 7.0 was graded? We'll see. That spine had the advantage of staples in at least 1/4". For some that's a bug, for others a feature, or at least neutral. It sold for $550 in 2011.

#3 5.0 - new high by quite a margin

#4 6.0 - I used to claim my pgx 6.0 was the only graded copy. Not that that got anyone to buy it! But no longer. Trailer Girl! This cover is the BOMB

#5 6.0 - new high in a somewhat crowded low grade field

Teen-Age Diary Secrets #8 8.0 - new high "big head" photo cover, it's basically a shot from the neck up. Confessions of a Hat-Check Girl!

I don't think there is any pedigree that has more than a few Baker romance books in it.

Chuck's list had about 60 Baker romance issues. Who knows if it was hit prior to that. Some of those were apparently "true" Mile High, others clearly secondhand.

Would have been nice. I don't think there is any pedigree that has more than a few Baker romance books in it.

Didn't the Crippen collection have a couple dozen Bakers? I seem to remember a strong run of Teen-Age Romances in the teens, and Diary Secrets in the teens and twenties, when the collection was sold through Heritage several years ago.

Didn't the Crippen collection have a couple dozen Bakers? I seem to remember a strong run of Teen-Age Romances in the teens, and Diary Secrets in the teens and twenties, when the collection was sold through Heritage several years ago.

Quite right duke. Yeh I got about a dozen or so of those myself. The slabbed copies were sweet, often getting highest (still) grade. The raw were...raw. Wavy if ya know what I mean.

The Cripps had a nice run of Bakers. I got a couple. Some issues were the first I ever saw.

Dr. Love, how accurate are the census listings for CGC at My Comic Shop.com? Are they up to date?

Not 100% sure brian but I would say couldn't be. Crawling the cgc site for data is quite the operation. Frankly, it blows my mind that they would make the investment represented by that feature on their site. Not to change the subject, but I find their whole site and operation in general sets the bar in a number of areas.

There might be a few who join them in selling a book at the same grade they set when they buy it from you, but noone else states it as an upfront policy. Remarkable that it stands out in our hobby, and that we had to put up with so much over the years (beaten up on price and grade!) until the net leveled the playing field.

Well, I got beaten up anyway! doh!

The Cripps had a nice run of Bakers. I got a couple. Some issues were the first I ever saw.

The only D Copy Baker I got was the All-Picture All-True Love Story #2. The posted scan made the book appear to have conspicuous cover creases... which it does, but not nearly as bad as the Heritage scan made them appear. Since buying the book, I've had those creases almost completely pressed out by Matt Nelson.

The only D Copy Baker I got was the All-Picture All-True Love Story #2. The posted scan made the book appear to have conspicuous cover creases... which it does, but not nearly as bad as the Heritage scan made them appear. Since buying the book, I've had those creases almost completely pressed out by Matt Nelson.

Was he able to press it out as it got closer to the spine? I wonder how that goes with those squarebounds.

Was he able to press it out as it got closer to the spine? I wonder how that goes with those squarebounds.

Actually, the impressions (not really 'creases'), where they met the spine, did seem to be a little more resistant to the pressing. I imagined this book was once the top copy in a distributor's stack of comics that was tightly bound with two or three lengths of twine, and this is what caused the impressions in the first place. That's exactly what it looked like.

I don't think there is any pedigree that has more than a few Baker romance books in it.

Chuck's list had about 60 Baker romance issues. Who knows if it was hit prior to that. Some of those were apparently "true" Mile High, others clearly secondhand.

60! Wow. Where are they all? (I think I have one.) hm

If only I had gotten bitten by the Baker bug a few years earlier! :cry: