• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,610 posts in this topic

I like the GCE 12 cover alot, but I'm not crazy nuts about it, at least not enough to pay the kind of money it would take to buy a copy. There are many books like that. So, what I'll do is try to locate the highest resolution scan I can find, take care of any photoshopping I can do to improve it, then take the scan on a disc to a printshop with a state of the art color printer, and produce a quality hard copy on 8 1/2" X 11" paper. After that, I usually find it much easier to live without that particular book. It's really kind of theraputic!

What's even better than that, however, is when I have the opportunity to make a color photocopy directly from an actual book. For example, I've never owned a copy of Blue Beetle 54, but I was able to find a collector in South Africa, of all places, who was willing to run off a couple of color photocopies of the cover of his BB 54, and mail them to me. Of course, I'd told him I'd float him some cash for the favor.

Over the years, I've put together a nice collection of cover reproductions, cover scans, and even some complete comics on disc. (The Digital Comic Museum is a great resource for virtual comics. They have lots of St. John romance... )

022.jpg

001.jpg

Isn't there some debate as to whether this cover is by Baker?

I can't say that I've ever seen anybody else get the credit for it... it does resemble something Jack Kamen might do, though. He and Baker both did work for Fox right around this time period.

cl27b.jpg

:o

I just still cannot get over the condition of this one.

:golfclap:

You've got a copy of CL 28 that's every bit as nice, though, don't you? How do I know that? Sure, you've posted a scan of it here in this very thread. But, tell me how I know this: You bought it from a seller in Canada who contacted you with it, out of nowhere, back in 2003. His initials are F. B. Have you ever shared that me, or with anyone?

Heh heh heh! Maybe one day I'll tell you the rest of the story. For now let's just say, I've been kicking myself ever since.

Well, here is the book you are referring to.

But, like you said I got offered the book by an email message and of course accepted immediately. Actually, I had forgotten about it until reading your post.

I don't remember the seller, etc. You definitely know more about it than I do.

photo CINDLOVE28.jpg

cl27b.jpg

:o

I just still cannot get over the condition of this one.

:golfclap:

You've got a copy of CL 28 that's every bit as nice, though, don't you? How do I know that? Sure, you've posted a scan of it here in this very thread. But, tell me how I know this: You bought it from a seller in Canada who contacted you with it, out of nowhere, back in 2003. His initials are F. B. Have you ever shared that me, or with anyone?

Heh heh heh! Maybe one day I'll tell you the rest of the story. For now let's just say, I've been kicking myself ever since.

Well, here is the book you are referring to.

But, like you said I got offered the book by an email message and of course accepted immediately. Actually, I had forgotten about it until reading your post.

I don't remember the seller, etc. You definitely know more about it than I do.

photo CINDLOVE28.jpg

Yep, that's the one.

:frustrated:

Ok, here it is: You were the underbidder in the same eBay auction where I won my "Ruth Barrows" copy (the same copy I posted here earlier). As I recall, I won it for about $170., which was an ungodly price for a book like this, back in 2003.

A day or two later, I just happened to be calling around, looking for other copies of Cinderella Love, and a trail of referrals had led me to F.B., the Canadian collector. He told me that he in fact had three different issues of CL, and he began to list them off... a 26 (upon which I said, "yes, I need that one")... a 29 ("hey, I need that one, too!")... and a 28.

At this point I made my fatal mistake, and told him I'd just picked up a 28, and didn't need that one. I hadn't even given him a chance to point out how freaking nice it was.

Naturally, the 26 and 29 were both low grade... and dirt cheap, too... so I bought them. Then, in a moment of foolhardy magnanimity, I told him that I knew somebody who would almost certainly take his 28. (Remember, back in those days, the ID's of eBay users were not kept anonymous, so I knew exactly who you were.) So I told him.

And now you know... the rest of the story.

That's quite the tale...secret santa...your generosity will be repaid a thousandfold hundredfold tenfold many times over

would you take a marvel no-prize instead?

you're a good man, charlie brown!

:facepalm:

I'd rather have the comic.

Wow Ken, after 10 years to now hear that story. Well, needless to say I thank you for

enabling me to get the CL 28. Man, you have so many HG looking Bakers', you don't need this one. When the day comes to sell off, you get first dibs at it. (thumbs u

Wow Rick, after 10 years to now hear that story. Well, needless to say I thank you for

enabling me to get the CL 28. Man, you have so many HG looking Bakers', you don't need this one. When the day comes to sell off, you get first dibs at it. (thumbs u

I'm not really sore about it, of course. It's just too laughable, the way it all went down. I just... gave it away, without even so much as a backwards glance... :hi:

Darn right, I get first dibs.

Leads me to wonder how many Bakers there are with fewer than 10 known copies. We would have to guess, of course, because there are many Bakers with fewer than 10 copies in the CGC census. We can reasonably suspect, though, that there are more than 10 raw copies of most of those.

So far, we have

Diary Secrets nn

All-Picture All-True Love Story 2

What about:

GCE 12

Romance Confession Stories

Record Book of Famous Police Cases (dubious about this one)

I'm probably forgetting some obvious candidates ....

Teenage Diary Secrets 7 & 9 each most likely have fewer than 10 copies.

Ok, here is a revised list:

Secrets of True Love

Diary Secrets nn

Giant Comics Editions 12

Teen-Age Diary Secrets 7

Teen-Age Diary Secrets 9

Record Book of Famous Police Cases

Authentic Police Cases 18

I think the last two may not actually be that rare. An APC 18 just sold on eBay last night.

Any others? Reasons that some on the list shouldn't be there?

Ok, here is a revised list:

Secrets of True Love

Diary Secrets nn

Giant Comics Editions 12

Teen-Age Diary Secrets 7

Teen-Age Diary Secrets 9

Record Book of Famous Police Cases

Authentic Police Cases 18

I think the last two may not actually be that rare. An APC 18 just sold on eBay last night.

Any others? Reasons that some on the list shouldn't be there?

How about GCE 13 or 15? Does everyone have either one or both of those books? Except for the Diary Secrets issues (nn, 7 and 9), the others, IMO, there are more than 10 copies but less than 20 that survived. That certainly qualifies as rare, but the later three are ultra rare.

Edited by RICK STARR