• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,613 posts in this topic

Two Canteens, #1 & #3, just went for decent (for the seller!) prices on the Bay. No back cover scans didn't seem to slow the crowd down. Are congrats owed to any of the usual suspects? or are you all Canteened out?

I put in some lowball early bids and then was on the road and unable to snipe via cell phone because I changed my eBay password and forgot what it was! doh!

I have a nice 3 and I wouldn't have gone higher than the winner on the 1, given the absence of a back cover scan.

Btw, for a book that is labeled "rare" by Overstreet, there seem to be a lot of CK 3s around.

So there's a DS 23 6.5 CR-OW coming up. Can't remotely compare to my 7.0 White! :sumo:

What's that you say? The lower right corner? A production defect, I tell you! Doesn't count! Pay it no mind whatsoever! (tsk)

dia420a_zps5a33aa9f-1_zps61c515cc.jpg

Coming up...? Where? That one's up there on my want list...

(Nice 7.0, BTW. I remember that one from Metropolis.)

Thanks ... but it may be the gnarliest 7.0 there's ever been. :D

The 6.5 is coming up on HA. I would bet it will go for much more than I paid for my 7.0.

Actually, I'm losing the ability to know what's a good or bad price for Bakers these days. hm

Two Canteens, #1 & #3, just went for decent (for the seller!) prices on the Bay. No back cover scans didn't seem to slow the crowd down. Are congrats owed to any of the usual suspects? or are you all Canteened out?

I put in some lowball early bids and then was on the road and unable to snipe via cell phone because I changed my eBay password and forgot what it was! doh!

I have a nice 3 and I wouldn't have gone higher than the winner on the 1, given the absence of a back cover scan.

Btw, for a book that is labeled "rare" by Overstreet, there seem to be a lot of CK 3s around.

Ain't that the truth!

Actually, I came SOOOOO close to pulling the trigger on your DS 23, on many many occasions.

Honestly, I think the one coming up on Heritage may be the more desirable copy. It lacks the awful miscut that mars my copy and, although the pages are CR-OW, the front cover doesn't seem to suffer from the bad staining you see in many St Johns with that PQ.

Hey, maybe we can have another round of the old "Did Baker draw the cover to Jo-Jo 25" debate!

The dead giveaway is the two male figures in the scene- classic Baker style. Also, look at the woman's hands... so elegantly drawn.

My vote: Baker did it.

016_zps8fceb729.jpg

Hey, maybe we can have another round of the old "Did Baker draw the cover to Jo-Jo 25" debate!

The dead giveaway is the two male figures in the scene- classic Baker style. Also, look at the woman's hands... so elegantly drawn.

016_zps8fceb729.jpg

The native looks like Baker, but Jo-Jo looks stiff and his head is too small for his body. My vote is it was Iger shop and Baker was there.

016_zps8fceb729.jpg

The native looks like Baker, but Jo-Jo looks stiff and his head is too small for his body. My vote is it was Iger shop and Baker was there.

That would help to account for the one thing that's always bugged me about giving Baker full credit for it: The woman's face is in profile, and it seems to me that Baker would've come up with something more interesting and stylistic than just a straight profile.

OK, finally pulled the True Crime Cases. Entire book is all crime stories. I counted 3 Bakers:

Rookie Cop trails the Kingpin of crime

Police valor defies the bulletproof bandits

Diamonds C.O.D. (nice)

According to Overstreet and Gerber, this book is dated 1944! Which predates any APC books.

inside FC is blank except St.John publishing and address at the bottom, no date.

inside BC is completely blank.

picked up mine from Silver Age comics in NY six years ago.

photo GIANTCOMICEDT4_zps4a5d0d88.jpg

Edited by RICK STARR

OK, finally pulled the True Crime Cases. Entire book is all crime stories. I counted 3 Bakers:

Rookie Cop trails the Kingpin of crime

Police valor defies the bulletproof bandits

Diamonds C.O.D. (nice)

probably, as you said, all from APCs'

inside FC is blank except St.John publishing and address at the bottom, no date.

inside BC is completely blank.

picked up mine from Silver Age comics in NY six years ago.

photo GIANTCOMICEDT4_zps4a5d0d88.jpg

The first two Baker stories you listed are from APC 11, and the third is from APC 14. There must also be another issue of APC with no Baker stories, to round out the 100 page issue.

Cool, thanks for the info.!

So, what do you think, is this one as scarce as some of the other St. John giant rebounds?