• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 5

17 posts in this topic

I just acquired a nice silver age collection, but many of the books in this collection have rusty staples. How much do rusty staples affect the overall grade of a comic? There appears to be no rust migration yet on this interior of this book. Is it worth having it CGC'd?

Thanks for you help.

SM005.jpg

SM005b.jpg

SM005_sf.jpg

Those staples are rusty enough to keep it below a 6.0, and quite possibly worse. I can't see any reason to have it slabbed. You're looking at probably a 5.0 or 5.5 if you send it in, and if you want to sell it you'd probably do better on ebay raw by selling it as is with disclosure about the staple.

That's a shame as it looks really nice otherwise.

I agree thats a very very nice looking 5.0-5.5 book.

As fas as getting the book CGC'ed it all depends on what you paid for it.

sales of 5.0-5.5 books per gpa.

Grade avg sale 12 mo avg 90 d avg last sale high/low

(5.5) (34) 379.64 (7) 383.76 (1) 436.01 436.01 Up 460/261

(5.5) Item recorded as sold/relisted by seller 326.00 326.00

(5.5) Item recorded as sold/seller verified non-sale 381.00 381.00

SP (5.5) 163.50 163.50

SA (5.5) (2) 249.72 (1) 229.44 229.44 270/229

(5.0) (46) 323.69 (6) 354.25 (2) 342.30 334.60 Down 429/229

Get the staples replaced with the same era staples. Matt Nelson could do it. If it is done right. It would still have a good shot of getting a blue CGC label. It's a gamble for sure. If it were to get a blue label. I would say it grades at around 8.5 with the staples replaced{undetected}. Left alone 5.0 I will leave the full disclosure of what work was done and it's implications alone.... Nice Book...

Get the staples replaced with the same era staples. Matt Nelson could do it. If it is done right. It would still have a good shot of getting a blue CGC label. It's a gamble for sure. If it were to get a blue label. I would say it grades at around 8.5 with the staples replaced{undetected}. Left alone 5.0 I will leave the full disclosure of what work was done and it's implications alone.... Nice Book...

There has already been rust migration to the FC. While changing the staples to non-rusted staples may be the correct conservative action, it will be readily detectable by even an untrained eye.

Those staples are rusty enough to keep it below a 6.0, and quite possibly worse. I can't see any reason to have it slabbed. You're looking at probably a 5.0 or 5.5 if you send it in, and if you want to sell it you'd probably do better on ebay raw by selling it as is with disclosure about the staple.

That's a shame as it looks really nice otherwise.

right on the money (thumbs u