• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Advice: Which is the keeper

27 posts in this topic

hi all,

looking for advice on which copy should I keep. both copies have the same grade by CGC.

Copy A

ow/w pages (old label)

cleaner edges imho

Copy B

ow pages (new label)

whiter backcover

sharper corners imho

Copy A

X-Men14testa.jpg

Copy B

X-Men14testb.jpg

Copy B - much nicer colors. The reds, whites, and greens on the front all show much better, and the cover is in near-perfect registration. Copy A looks both a bit color-faded and yellowed.

Copy B - much nicer colors. The reds, whites, and greens on the front all show much better, and the cover is in near-perfect registration. Copy A looks both a bit color-faded and yellowed.

This was my thought too. Unless the scanner is exaggerating the difference, much nicer color strike on B, and no black line along the top.

Both are nice copies, and the difference is not a huge deal, but I'd say B by a nose.

I like B. The edges might be a little rougher but A has the upper right corner crease and the corners in general are more worn and abraided.

A is yellowed along the spine and is miswrapped such that the cut line is visible at the top of the cover.

I don't think that being an old label guarantees anything in terms of an "upgrade". Multiple threads here pretty much conclude that upgrading is a hit and miss proposition.

CGC might be grading paper quality under a different type of light these days, but the yellowed spine edges of A don't look promising.

Copy A ....better PQ ( which no one ever mentions, to my amazement ), and since it is "old label", you stand a decent chance of a .5 higher grade by simply resubmittimg

But in this case, the stated PQs are awfully close similar, even if A is an old label. Plus he has stated that the back cover whites on B are brighter, so that helps to balance the PQ equation.

Copy A ....better PQ ( which no one ever mentions, to my amazement ), and since it is "old label", you stand a decent chance of a .5 higher grade by simply resubmittimg

But in this case, the stated PQs are awfully close similar, even if A is an old label. Plus he has stated that the back cover whites on B are brighter, so that helps to balance the PQ equation.

yeah....I figured I would be alone on this one. 2 books with the same grade and a similar look.......I'll let the superior PQ be the tie breaker just about every time

Copy b for me. It has much bettter color and the cover is square to the book. Copy a has some pretty dull color and I don't like the slightly misaligned cover. Although, I don't like that edge bump on the bottom of b.

The PQ is a factor, but when that similar I'll take whiter cover whites and better color.

PQ is less a factor than the edges on B. I'd personally say A is your better copy. Plus, if you look at Prof. X, it seems A is much cleaner looking copy as well (unless it's your scanner or slab).

thanks for the comments everyone. looks like the jury's still out. i did scan both copies w/ the exact same scanner/settings so the colors on copy B is slightly better (not as big of a difference as the scans would suggest). the one thing that really bothers me about copy A is the bottom left corner...it's a bit worn..and the color break travels a tad up the spine

This was my thought too. Unless the scanner is exaggerating the difference, much nicer color strike on B, and no black line along the top.

Both are nice copies, and the difference is not a huge deal, but I'd say B by a nose.

On eof my favorite Kirby covers. I say B. Strong color strike, better centering and whiter back cover. PQ is not that big a deal.

R.