• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anyone see that Kelley Jones Batman Splash?

10 posts in this topic

Obviously, someone thought that was a fair price since it wasn't up for very long.

What do Jones' pages usually go for? Was this a deal or was it about right?

I've seen that splash for sale before. I don't remember where, but I don't really like his Batman. What's up with those ears ?

I remember seeing this piece a few times also, perhaps offered on the Comic-L.

Obviously, someone thought that was a fair price since it wasn't up for very long.

What do Jones' pages usually go for? Was this a deal or was it about right?

I think K. Jones art is all about the content. Sandman, obviously, commands a premium. As well as his Batman stuff, IF Bats makes an appearance. I got THIS BATMAN PAGE in Feb07 for a fraction of that BIN (Thanks, Kwan :gossip: ).

DEADMAN pages I think would also do very well, but I've never seen any offered(which would only make them more desirable). I'd also love one of his Aliens covers or splashes.

His "CRUSADES" stuff is hard to give away, again, unless it is a killer splash.

I haven't seen much of his work up for grabs, and from what I've been told by more experienced collectors, he doesn't let go of much of his work. Kelley's style is very distinctive and I find people either love it or hate it. For me, his divergence from the traditional Batman on his cover art is similar to the change McFarlane brought to Spider-Man--another artist who fans either loved or hated. He might be a little too grotesque for some, but he really captures the gothic feel that Batman is wrapped up in.

So, the lack of availability might be part of the price and quick buy on this particular piece.

I have about 70 of Kelley's pages. Most of them are Batman, but some are Swamp Thing.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v205/tlc55555/COMIC%20ART/

Personally, I love his artwork. Unfortunately, he doesn't sell it. All of the pages that I have, except for one, came from his inkers.

That all being said, almost $800+ for that spash is too high for me. I've seen it for sale before at a lot less (about 1/2 I think) than that and I still thought it was too high. I guess I don't care for that image.

I have about 70 of Kelley's pages. Most of them are Batman, but some are Swamp Thing.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v205/tlc55555/COMIC%20ART/

Personally, I love his artwork. Unfortunately, he doesn't sell it. All of the pages that I have, except for one, came from his inkers.

That all being said, almost $800+ for that spash is too high for me. I've seen it for sale before at a lot less (about 1/2 I think) than that and I still thought it was too high. I guess I don't care for that image.

Sketches 2-4 = :cloud9: and a dash of :luhv:

I may be alone in this but I think the piece rocks. (No, I didn't buy it. I didn't even SEE the listing until this post came up.)

Considering it's Jones and it's Batman -- and with the way that prices have been climbing -- I don't think it's out of line for the right collector.

I've seen this piece for sale 3 times over the last 5 years or so. The first time was on the Comicart-L by the inker of the piece, I think his name was Jason Moore. I believe the initial sale price was a bit over $300.