• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are all labels for oversize CGC books this ugly?

101 posts in this topic

Technically, my reasoning was that it wouldn't make a difference if CGC did or didn't. They can obviously do it, and I'm fine with that...but don't expect to be lulled into thinking that any real problem was solved...someone unethical will crack the slab out and sell it to dupe someone...thus falling short in the goal.

So, CGC can encapsulate poop for all I care...but if someone wants to unleash the stink on the world...it's going to happen anyway.

My main reasoning for NOT doing it was that it wouldn't make a difference when it's all said and done, but for the folks that are on the up and up...there's benefit, obviously. It's all a matter of perspective.

I don't really agree - if CGC wouldn't slab a book like this, you'd have no way of knowing whether it was a fake or not (unless you knew how to tell the fake from the genuine article - which, in this case, is actually pretty easy).

The fact that CGC does slab this means that you have a choice - you can either buy the book raw, and not know what you're getting. Or buy it slabbed, and be sure that you're either getting a fake or a real #1.

Scammers can, of course, crack the slab & try to pass off the counterfeit #1 as the real deal - but, again, if you're buying the book slabbed you avoid that problem entirely.

So saying that "it wouldn't make a difference when it's all said and done" just isn't correct - because it does make a difference that this book is available slabbed as well as raw.

This still has not answered why CGC should not slab a counterfeit comic.

Roy...they are legitimizing a fraudulent comic by placing it in a slab. In my opinion, comics that are placed in slabs should be genuine articles...not wasting time dealing with counterfeits whose sole creation was to scam buyers. Placing them in a holder gives the impression there is some type demand for these fakes.

If someone was looking to buy one slabbed, they aren't likely looking for the counterfeit but rather the real deal. If CGC didn't slab the counterfeit it would make make no difference to those collectors...

Jim

This still has not answered why CGC should not slab a counterfeit comic.

Roy...they are legitimizing a fraudulent comic by placing it in a slab. In my opinion, comics that are placed in slabs should be genuine articles...not wasting time dealing with counterfeits whose sole creation was to scam buyers. Placing them in a holder gives the impression there is some type demand for these fakes.

If someone was looking to buy one slabbed, they aren't likely looking for the counterfeit but rather the real deal. If CGC didn't slab the counterfeit it would make make no difference to those collectors...

Jim

There's a reason why the Cerebus #1 counterfeit is listed in the OSPG; it has a genuine historical significance as the first counterfeited comic book to be discovered and widely reported.

For a Cerebus completist like myself, I wouldn't have a complete collection unless I had both a genuine #1 and a fake one, so saying that there's no demand for these fakes is just silly.

There's a reason why the Cerebus #1 counterfeit is listed in the OSPG; it has a genuine historical significance as the first counterfeited comic book to be discovered and widely reported.

Eerie #1 holds that honor if I'm not mistaken...

For a Cerebus completist like myself, I wouldn't have a complete collection unless I had both a genuine #1 and a fake one, so saying that there's no demand for these fakes is just silly.

That rational is just wacked in my opinion. The fake isn't a part of the run any more than one I decide to produce on my printer...

Jim

Sure, you may consider it "wacked", but the market for this book agrees with me.

What market? :insane:

I think you're confusing OS's warning to avoid with some type of market for these fakes...

Jim

Well, I'm a graphic designer by trade, and we're kinda obsessive about how things look - so, yeah, it does bother me quite a bit that the labels aren't the same. Especially because there's no reason why they shouldn't be identical.

It's no different than wanting to have all your books protected by the same type of bags & boards (like Bill Cole products only) - or not wanting to mix & match TPB editions of a series (like Sandman) because you want them to share a unified look.

I hear ya - My Wife is an Architect, and she thinks the labels couldn't be uglier . . . :)

Eerie #1 holds that honor if I'm not mistaken...

That rational is just wacked in my opinion. The fake isn't a part of the run any more than one I decide to produce on my printer...

Jim

I agree with both of you . . . :insane:

On another front, I'm still trying to get my head around the whole variant "craze" :)

Sure, you may consider it "wacked", but the market for this book agrees with me.

I think you're confusing OS's warning to avoid with some type of market for these fakes...

Jim

Do you even collect Cerebus? If not, how would you know whether there's a market for this book or not? (shrug)

I personally don't think CGC should "certify" comics that are not authentic. I'm entitled to my reasoning...as are you. But if you want me to start calling your ideas ridiculous, I can do that too.

THIS is why I enjoy sterling's presence here . . . :)

Well, I'm a graphic designer by trade, and we're kinda obsessive about how things look - so, yeah, it does bother me quite a bit that the labels aren't the same. Especially because there's no reason why they shouldn't be identical.

It's no different than wanting to have all your books protected by the same type of bags & boards (like Bill Cole products only) - or not wanting to mix & match TPB editions of a series (like Sandman) because you want them to share a unified look.

I hear ya - My Wife is an Architect, and she thinks the labels couldn't be uglier . . . :)

Well ... they could if they looked like the PGX labels :)

Jim

Do you even collect Cerebus? If not, how would you know whether there's a market for this book or not? (shrug)

I think the argument is not whether there's a market for it ot not, but whether or not it's a Cerebus comic book at all.

Jim

If there were indeed a true secondary market, outside of the curious, OS would annotate a price for these. They don't...and rightfully so for the same reasons that CGC shouldn't legitimize them...

Jim

Jim

If there were indeed a true secondary market, outside of the curious, OS would annotate a price for these. They don't...and rightfully so for the same reasons that CGC shouldn't legitimize them...

Jim

but isn't CGC just legitimizing the fact that it is a 'counterfeit'...

they put 'counterfeit' on the label 4 times for pete's sake

excuse me if i'm missing the point...

Jim

Jim

Jim, this is so ridiculous.

CGC is not legitimizing the book.

CGC is not creating a market for this book.

CGC is not creating a demand for fake books

CGC is doing what it is supposed to do.

Give the buyer confidence.

The buyers decide what they want to buy, not CGC.

Whether the fake is a "comic" or not is irrelevant. It looks like a comic, it smells like a comic, it feels like a comic....the fact that it was printed elsewhere does not prevent the book from being graded with a numerical grade and labelled as a fake.

They will grade any printed matter that looks like a comic or magazine. Why not this?

They are doing what people want them to do. Grade the book in front of them.

R.

but isn't CGC just legitimizing the fact that it is a 'counterfeit'...

they put 'counterfeit' on the label 4 times for pete's sake

excuse me if i'm missing the point...

Like it or not, CGC slabs are a manufactured collectible. By certifying these they are giving legitmacy that these issues are somehow collectible when in fact they should be avoided...

Jim