• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What post-1975 comics had the lowest print runs (for the first printing)?

29 posts in this topic

I once decided I wanted to get all the Star line comics in high grade thinking it wouldn't be that difficult.

8 months later, I had like 2 HG Muppet Babies and a few Thundercats. I suspended the search until they were more readily available. I'm still waiting......

I'd go with many of the Marvel line of books such as the Star cartoon books

I thought this, too, Ed. But if you look at Joe Koch and some of the warehousers, they always have tons of copies. Not necessarily high grade, though.

Marvel Comics,Carol Kalish in particular,had great hopes for the Star Line and printed many extra copies of the first few issues.They GAVE them to several distributors in the hope that comic stores would impliment a seperate Kids Dept.

As far as mainstream Marvels go,I'd imagine the last few issues of most of The New Universe titles were underprinted for their day.But remember that 95% of todays books would have been canceled based on their numbers in 1987.Back then,Marvel wanted to see ongoing sales of somewhere around 40,000 to publish monthly.

Jonah Hex and Sgt.Rock had sales in the low 90,000`s back in the early 80`s and were cancelled for low sales. Today DC would jump for joy if any of thier titles could even get half of that. sad how far sales have fallen off.

IIRC,Jonah Hex and Sgt Rock had nearly non-existant sales in the direct market,as most stores carried only DCs superhero line. The sales from newstand distribution was much less profitable than the direct market.They printed more copies than were sold,and made less on each sale. Thats one of the reasons DC tried to revive Jonah Hex as a semi-superhero in Hex.

I forgot about those Whitmans and late Gladstones. Those are solid rare issues of otherwise popular titles and characters.

And don't forget the rare DC giveaways and promotion books that Ian Levine had a hard time finding. One was of a rich kid where his parents had the book published specifically for him. Like 10 copies made or some such.

Ed

Ah, SuperBrad.

An interesting and expensive gift for a kid, but something that would have been great when I was 10 or so

I once decided I wanted to get all the Star line comics in high grade thinking it wouldn't be that difficult.

8 months later, I had like 2 HG Muppet Babies and a few Thundercats. I suspended the search until they were more readily available. I'm still waiting......

I bought a Muppet Babies 1 CGC 9.8 for my girlfriend last year ... She still has it

I bought a Muppet Babies 1 CGC 9.8 for my girlfriend last year ... She still has it
For a Strawberry Shortcake 1 CGC 9.8, I'll be your girlfriend!

I forgot about those Whitmans and late Gladstones. Those are solid rare issues of otherwise popular titles and characters.

And don't forget the rare DC giveaways and promotion books that Ian Levine had a hard time finding. One was of a rich kid where his parents had the book published specifically for him. Like 10 copies made or some such.

Ed

Ah, SuperBrad.

An interesting and expensive gift for a kid, but something that would have been great when I was 10 or so

Actually, you idi0t, it's Bradman. :tonofbricks:

For a Strawberry Shortcake 1 CGC 9.8, I'll be your girlfriend!
:insane: