• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The sky IS falling...High Grade ASM's at less than GPA !!!

65 posts in this topic

I dunno, I don't want to sound like a downer, but a 9.2 seems kindah about right (and perhaps generous) with that center spine stress and the "63" written on there which doesn't seem to be a date stamp or notation a store would have put on there, more likely an OCD kid (or do all the White Mountains have a "63" on them? I am admittedly naive about "pedigrees"). Perhaps that is why you got it "cheap"? I don't think ASM is crashing and burning, BUT

That #17 OTOH...looks pretty sharp. $225 under guide?? Almost TOO sharp on the corners and sides, but hey, the lable is blue so what you gonnah do?

I'm happy anyone can get a deal on these and even more happy that they can afford it. I personally think the national economy has as much to do with it as anything. I know I've slowed way down in buying comics in order to afford little things....like gas and food!

lol

high grade ASM exhaustion

no doubt after that last HG whooper that came through comlink last month

do any of the big wigs have any money left???

:P

They still can conjure up cold cash...

CAL who never worries about the bigger-shots...

w/ ASM it's like you have to turn the usual question upside down. did any of these books survive in low grade condition?

w/ ASM it's like you have to turn the usual question upside down. did any of these books survive in low grade condition?

The early ASM's had print runs of approx. 260,000. Yes MANY did survive. Enough low graders out there for the bottom-feeders but the uber-highs the supplies are being "hoarded" by certain collectors. I have no clue who any of them are...

CAL :shy:

I dunno, I don't want to sound like a downer, but a 9.2 seems kindah about right (and perhaps generous) with that center spine stress and the "63" written on there which doesn't seem to be a date stamp or notation a store would have put on there, more likely an OCD kid (or do all the White Mountains have a "63" on them? I am admittedly naive about "pedigrees"). Perhaps that is why you got it "cheap"? I don't think ASM is crashing and burning, BUT

That #17 OTOH...looks pretty sharp. $225 under guide?? Almost TOO sharp on the corners and sides, but hey, the lable is blue so what you gonnah do?

Yes most White Mountains have a written year on them like the number 63 put there by the original owner to mark the year it came out, and after talking to Steve for awhile on the subject in NYC they don't downgrade for it, nor do I think they should.

I don't really think the sky is falling on ASM's, I was just really happy to pick the book up for that price, considering I put close to double as my max bid to make sure I secured this book for my collection.

White Mountain's have been selling for some pretty lofty prices lately, such as this book.

WMFF13.jpg

Which sold in March for triple (3x) GPA plus $1300 and you'll see why I'm excited.

I know I'm not exactly comparing apples to apples but you see the gist of my post.

Jim

CGC does not deduct for this "mark" for grade given...and as previously mentioned, could be a personal/pedigree/provenance mark...

FALLING! :insane:

Prob not, I still see people throwing money away on easy to find average HG CGC slabs on the latest CL FOCUS AUCTION

CL auctions are worse than eBay shilling! :gossip:

"Yes most White Mountains have a written year on them like the number 63 put there by the original owner to mark the year it came out, and after talking to Steve for awhile on the subject in NYC they don't downgrade for it, nor do I think they should."

Jim

I'm hoping your dead on with this assessment. I have a large number of Bronze/Copper Age Amazing Spider-Man and other titles which are in pristine condition except for the fact that the previous owner had written a price in pencil at the top left corner of the back cover.

Mike

"Yes most White Mountains have a written year on them like the number 63 put there by the original owner to mark the year it came out, and after talking to Steve for awhile on the subject in NYC they don't downgrade for it, nor do I think they should."

Jim

I'm hoping your dead on with this assessment. I have a large number of Bronze/Copper Age Amazing Spider-Man and other titles which are in pristine condition except for the fact that the previous owner had written a price in pencil at the top left corner of the back cover.

Mike

Mike, they don't downgrade for date stamp markings OR markings that where put on to books that eventually became pedigree collections. Any non pedigree or non newstand markings will be considered a defect and the book is graded accordingly.

:foryou:

Jim

Mike

Mike, they don't downgrade for date stamp markings OR markings that where put on to books that eventually became pedigree collections. Any non pedigree or non newstand markings will be considered a defect and the book is graded accordingly.

And if I were to erase any of these pencil markings that would constitute "restoration"; correct?

Jim

Mike

And if I were to erase any of these pencil markings that would constitute "restoration"; correct?

No, but if you rub off paper and gloss that is a defect and would be graded accordingly.

Jim

Mike

From my understanding the rule of thumb is "if there is a mark - just leave it"

Jim

Mike

So a 63 written on a pedigree book is not a defect. But that exact same 63 written on a run of the mill book is a defect? Is it just me or is that completely retarted?!

The job of CGC is to grade the book as it appears, taking into account everything. Period. If true, that's a very frustrating policy.

The 63 is a mark of distinction, separation from the run of the mill. The 63 actually brands that book as better than the average bear. Why is an autograph a mark of distinction? Because we as collectors place a value on the signature. Is that not defacing the book as well.

The comment was made on a 9.4 pacific coast selling more than a 9.6 of the same issue. If you are collecting pacific coast books the fact that one is a 9.4 or 9.6 is irrelevant. There are many reasons for a book to be desirable and pedigree is one of them. Condition is not the only thing that people desire in a book hence the difference in value.

Jim collects White Mountains. I am sure he sees books with a higher grade and he places a lower value on those than he does his White Mountains. There is nothing wrong with that. That is where collectors find enjoyment, finding a niche, doing something a little different, achieving something that no else has done.

Investors on the other hand buy a trend or a number.

The 63 is a mark of distinction, separation from the run of the mill. The 63 actually brands that book as better than the average bear. Why is an autograph a mark of distinction? Because we as collectors place a value on the signature. Is that not defacing the book as well.

The comment was made on a 9.4 pacific coast selling more than a 9.6 of the same issue. If you are collecting pacific coast books the fact that one is a 9.4 or 9.6 is irrelevant. There are many reasons for a book to be desirable and pedigree is one of them. Condition is not the only thing that people desire in a book hence the difference in value.

Jim collects White Mountains. I am sure he sees books with a higher grade and he places a lower value on those than he does his White Mountains. There is nothing wrong with that. That is where collectors enjoyment, finding a niche, doing something a little different, achieving something that no else has done.

Investors on the other hand buy a trend or a number.

I'm not arguing the validity or value of pedigrees (....although I don't quite get that either....). I'm just saying writing on a comic book is writing on a comic book. And it's a defect. And all defects should be treated equally, regardless of something irrelevant like "it's part of a big original owner collection of nice books".

A mark of distinction? Give me a break. I understand if you collect that particular pedigree, it's cool to see the 63 on there. Even if you don't collect pedigrees, it's nice to know what the 63 is there for and what it means. But when grading a book, the graders shouldn't even know, or care, if the book is a pedigree or not, or where it came from or anything else. The just need to grade the book based on how it looks.