• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Forum

62 posts in this topic

I have been reading the posts here daily for the past few weeks. Between seeing the sweet books and classic art (here as well as at conventions) , I am being swayed. I would like to ease my way into golden age books, and see that some are actually affordable ( compared to what I imagined they would be). The knowledge that is available in this forum, also seems to make it that much easier. It seems no matter what is asked , someone here has knowledge of the topic. I think also the real breaker has been Detective 27 kid's sales threads, amazing books I had never seen before.

Any "serious" advice on taking the plunge. My favorites are Batman, Detective,Captain America, and the JSA books (all-star, and some individual titles). And I also toy with the idea of the characters from Alex Ross's series "Project Super Powers", the characters in that series have intrigued me as well.

I know that I cant start out buying books that cost alot of money, but I am sure that some of these titles have affordable issues I can start with. Thanks for listening/reading. I figured make myself known instead of lurking. And maybe when I have some questions they will get answered seriously. I know I will be a NOOB in GA, but hopefully I can make my way in. At 29 I think I may be one of the youngest here , and I am sure my questions will reflect upon that.

Pat-

Another convert (thumbs u

Welcome!

As an All-Star collector myself, I can tell you that many issues are available at affordable prices. Not #3 or #8, obviously, or some of the other minor keys like #1, #4, #5, #33, or #36. But many issues in the #18-#32 range, #34-35, #37-57 can be found rather cheaply. For Fair to Good reader copies of those issues, you can expect to pay $40 to $125. For a little bit nicer, say VG to FN, you can find many of them for $200 to $600.

Good luck!

At 29 I think I may be one of the youngest here

Pat-

You are actually about middle of the pack.

Ronaldo's voice just changed!

BTW, Welcome to the wonderful world of Golden Age!

Pat-

cut that in half and your as old as me!! does that make you feel older?

and welcome to GA collecting. you'll never go back now. the hobby will become an addiction and you'll end up spending more than you make..... but it's way worh it!

Pat-

You are actually about middle of the pack.

Ronaldo's voice just changed!

BTW, Welcome to the wonderful world of Golden Age!

:sumo: ..... well at least I don't have any more pimples (shrug)

Conrgats on taking the plunge into the Golden Age. Trust me you will never look back (thumbs u

Another convert (thumbs u

Welcome!

As an All-Star collector myself, I can tell you that many issues are available at affordable prices. Not #3 or #8, obviously, or some of the other minor keys like #1, #4, #5, #33, or #36. But many issues in the #18-#32 range, #34-35, #37-57 can be found rather cheaply. For Fair to Good reader copies of those issues, you can expect to pay $40 to $125. For a little bit nicer, say VG to FN, you can find many of them for $200 to $600.

Good luck!

My grail since I joined the boards has been All-Star Comics #12 . I had no real intentions of collecting GA comics, but that issue specifically for the cover art. Very Pro-America, love the JSA members in the V for Victory.

I'm 36 and I bought my first GA book when I was 16.

I stopped collecting at 18 and started again 2 or 3 years ago. My collecting focus has been highly sporratic, and I finally decided enoughs enough. I had a long long post in the general thread about why I am selling off 90% of my collection to just buy key books. I am tired of having 16 or 18 long boxes of stuff I have read and dont need anymore. I want to collect keys for personal collecting and the financial aspects. But the GA books more for preservation and love of the classic artwork.

I have been reading the posts here daily for the past few weeks. Between seeing the sweet books and classic art (here as well as at conventions) , I am being swayed. I would like to ease my way into golden age books, and see that some are actually affordable ( compared to what I imagined they would be).

Great choice! :applause:

Jon (35) :shy:

Take a look at the poll in the Polls section regarding age of GA collectors. It's a real eye opener.

If you are a hi grade collector, then GA is your death sentance as it is mine. You will spend every penny you earn for that hi grade buzz.

If you are a reading copy or mid grade collector you will find 1000's of books that will be affordeable and fit your needs. The odd affordeable hi grade book will come across more often than you think...

try to decide what you want and stick to it closely...wandering off the path can be dangerous...

:devil:

Any "serious" advice on taking the plunge. My favorites are Batman, Detective,Captain America, and the JSA books (all-star, and some individual titles).

With the exception of Cap, examples of all those titles should be doable at less than $100 (and, if you're patient, the occasional $100 Cap will come your way as well). I think Detective is a lot of fun since it has the anthology approach that begain the GA. All Star is also cool due to the multiple hero approach.

Lots of great books out there. Welcome to the GA :cloud9:

Im only a HG collector for keys. For GA mid grade is fine with me, even the GD+ is appealing (depending on defects). The only things I dont like are missing pieces from the cover, spine roll, and rust. After that, its all good. Not a fan of restoration, but find somethings acceptable. As long as the book is complete and not overly monkeyed with im cool.

All good advice. I would add that buy what you want to read! I buy GA DCs in 2.0-5.0 range to read the stories and then slide them back into their mylars to read again down the road. I don't have the budget to buy every book I want, but if the price is right, I add books to my collection.

I finished my Silver Age runs years ago and because I moved so much, I just concentrated on the 1st 5-10 issues of most titles. I then "graduated" to GA.

Good luck and have fun!

Any "serious" advice on taking the plunge. My favorites are Batman, Detective,Captain America, and the JSA books (all-star, and some individual titles).

With the exception of Cap, examples of all those titles should be doable at less than $100 (and, if you're patient, the occasional $100 Cap will come your way as well). I think Detective is a lot of fun since it has the anthology approach that begain the GA. All Star is also cool due to the multiple hero approach.

Lots of great books out there. Welcome to the GA :cloud9:

The JSA characters are some of my favorite characters ever created. I still read moderns, and love what is being done with these characters. Flash and Green Lantern are favorites, and the Spectre is another seriously great character.

Welcome to the club (32, first GA book in my early teens). One thing you really need to get in your head before you dive into GA is that you just can't rely on the books you want being available when you want them. It takes a lot of patience, and you need to realize that you may go a few months between purchases.

If you're coming from SA or BA, you may be used to just trying to find the book you want at the right price. In GA, you're often trying to find the book you want at any price.

Welcome to the club (32, first GA book in my early teens). One thing you really need to get in your head before you dive into GA is that you just can't rely on the books you want being available when you want them. It takes a lot of patience, and you need to realize that you may go a few months between purchases.

If you're coming from SA or BA, you may be used to just trying to find the book you want at the right price. In GA, you're often trying to find the book you want at any price.

I dont really buy books often (at least not lately) . And really dont mind. I plan on collecting for years to come, so slow is ok. Plus I will still buy SA and BA keys here and there. So I will always be buying.