• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: Double Action Comics #2

13 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I recently won this comic on a heritage auction, but due to some very unfortunate unforeseen events i cannot keep this item.

It is still at heritage and if it doesn't sell here within 3 days it will be re-consigned back to an auction at heritage. I can get heritage to post it anywhere in the US for free.

I want to give you board members a chance to pay less than what i paid for it direct from a private seller.

Price: $16K (firm - no offers please)

time payments permitted over 3 months with a 20% deposit

Direct Bank Deposit and Paypal ONLY (paypal carries 3.92% fees)

Description: (taken from the Heritage auction)

Double Action Comics #2 (DC, 1940) Condition: VF/NM. Only seven copies of this rarity are said to exist, and if you need proof of the demand, look no further than our last auction when a restored CGC 5.5 specimen sold for $16,730, or well above the VF/NM Overstreet value. This copy is apparently hand-assembled, as the cover extends beyond the edges of the printed pages, and this overhang means that it's not a candidate for CGC encapsulation. Two very small tears on the overhang (back cover) and a slight crunch to one corner are the only flaws of note; four of our in-house graders examined the book, with three grading it VF/NM and one NM-. This copy has cream interior pages. A Gerber "10," the book was named one of the 20 rarest Golden Age books by Comic Book Marketplace (a list that included ashcans and the like). While the Overstreet Guide says that an ashcan of #1 exists, we believe this to be false. The contents of this issue are black and white (and it may have been an experiment to see if a black-and-white comic would sell). The content is all pre-Action #1 DC fare (including Siegel and Shuster's Dr. Occult in two stories reprinted from different issues of More Fun Comics), and you'll recognize the cover as the image used on Adventure Comics #37 which came out the previous year. While the Overstreet listing would indicate that the majority of the existing copies are high-grade, we have heard accounts that contradict this. Indeed, the CGC census shows one copy each in PR, GD/VG, apparent FN-, VF/NM, and NM-. Included in this lot is a 1996 letter from comic dealer Stephen Fishler, attesting to the provenance of this copy. Overstreet 2008 VF/NM 9.0 value = $13,850; NM- 9.2 value = $18,500.

Provenance:

Rich Kylberg Collection

Metropolis Collectibles

Collection of DC editor Sol Harrison From the Kylberg Collection.

Cover is married.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=828&Lot_No=41028&src=pr

da2fc.jpg

da2bc.jpg

da2l1.jpg

da2l2.jpg

it kills me to sell this book. a grail. the grail for me and many others, but bankrupcy is a far worse fate.

3 days people!

PMs welcome.

emails welcome too: swapto@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Ben Oakley

A rare opportunity due to unfortunate events.

Someone should grab this quickly and savor it for decades as you won't likely have another chance in your lifetime! (thumbs u

I'd be happy owning just 1/16! Who else is in? :baiting:

Someone should grab this quickly and savor it for decades as you won't likely have another chance in your lifetime! (thumbs u

Where's Gator???.......he's the only guy I know with unlimited funds who could buy this.

In my lifetime... geesh, this is the second time it's been for sale in the past month. These things must be a dime a dozen. :insane:

In my lifetime... geesh, this is the second time it's been for sale in the past month. These things must be a dime a dozen. :insane:

(tsk)lol

Where's Gator???.......he's the only guy I know with unlimited funds who could buy this.

:hi:

Actually a "married" copy of Double Action #2 does exist out there somewhere. A friend of mine used to own the cover which was removed from one of the copies. The removed cover was in Fine condition with a tear on the back cover.

Along with the copies of Double Action #2, some unused "file copy" covers were also found. One of these file covers was attached to the interior of the Fine condition copy. I'm not sure if CGC ever identified the copy which was married, but I assume it has to be one of the higher grade copies that is floating out there.