• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All-Star Comics #3

46 posts in this topic

Personally, I love the All-Star 3 book for its historical significance and iconic cover image. :cloud9:

Acquired Kyberg's copy at the last Heritage auction...a gorgeous copy!

2513970467_41ae456d49_b.jpg

GE

(worship) (worship)

That looks much better than an 8.0 (thumbs u

Had to repost this just because:

mfun56.JPG

Keep posting it Plady, it keeps me from missing it too much. :grin:

this coming from the DC Goober's Chairman

One of my favorite covers and one of my favorite superheroes...

Out of curiosity, what do you think would be a good price for that All-Star #3 (Detroit Trolley copy)? hm
marnin has it pretty close to vg guide for a vg/fn...maybe offer 10% less, but seems like a pretty good price

Out of curiosity, what do you think would be a good price for that All-Star #3 (Detroit Trolley copy)? hm
marnin has it pretty close to vg guide for a vg/fn...maybe offer 10% less, but seems like a pretty good price

If I had some free cash right now I would buy it in a heartbeat.

If I had some free cash right now I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Me too...

how those books ever got out of detroit in the first place.... :cry::sumo:

Those were some exceptional books...All-American 16, multiple Spectre More Funs, etc... Those books were gone by the time I found out about the site.

That's why I was surprised that no one had even put a bid in for the All-Star 3

Those were some exceptional books...All-American 16, multiple Spectre More Funs, etc... Those books were gone by the time I found out about the site.

Can you post a link to that site if it is still around? I’ve been trying to find out a bit more about the collection. (What was in it, who owned it, how it was found). Thanks!

Can you post a link to that site if it is still around? I’ve been trying to find out a bit more about the collection. (What was in it, who owned it, how it was found). Thanks!

http://collectorsassemble.com/all_auction_sale.php

Thank God dad saved the day! :applause:

The History of the Detroit Trolley Collection

"A horse drawn milk wagon, a trolley car conductor switching tracks for a yellow and green trolley car, and a young boy all paint the picture of simpler times, the end of the Depression Era, and a time in Detroit when a young teenage boy first discovered comic book collecting.

He loved sketching the fascinating characters of Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel and Buck Rogers, from the rough paper pages of the colorful comic books that he had purchased for a dime, beginning in 1939. For this young man, building a short-wave radio and escaping into the adventures of the latest comics was a day well spent. In the summer, he worked as an office errand boy for the New York Central Rail Road on Michigan Avenue in Detroit. He remembers picking up the latest issues of his favorite comics along the turn-around route of the Trumble Trolley, in his neighborhood. He recalls his anticipation as he opened each new adventure, while he sipped on a soda, at the corner soda shops, Richs’ and Cunningham's, or maybe while retreating to his own room. He didn’t consciously plan to be a collector. He just kept each issue, so he could re-read them and experience their adventures again and again. He used them to help improve his own sketching skills and his drawing perspective. He stored each treasured copy in an orange crate that he kept safe in his room.

On December 7th, 1941, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, and at age 17 he joined the Navy to serve his country and he was trained in underwater demolition. The orange crates full of comics and his easel, stayed home with his mother and father. While serving in WW2, his mother began donating some of his comic books to the Detroit Children’s Hospital, but his father rescued the rest.

After returning home from the war, the comics were boxed for safe keeping and pretty much forgotten until the 1960’s when it came up in a conversation with a neighbor. This neighbor knew a collector who came and looked over his collection and offered to purchase all of them for $68,000. This was the first time that this now family man realized the potential value of his treasures. Fortunately, he didn’t sell them, unfortunately, half of those books are unaccounted for! Now this 65 year old collection of adventures has been brought out of storage to be experienced again! All books are raw, completely unrestored in their original state of preservation. When all is said and done, this incredible collection of approximately 300 to 400 books will predominantly average a grade range of FN+ to VF. "

http://collectorsassemble.com/all_auction_sale.php

Love this collection :luhv: I have the All Star #2 and it's a beauty (thumbs u

Hi all! Hope the holiday season finds you and your families well so far.

I'm having to bump this thread to find out what FMV those of you in the know would give an all star comics 3 in a 6-7 range in today's market. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-J.

Hi all! Hope the holiday season finds you and your families well so far.

I'm having to bump this thread to find out what FMV those of you in the know would give an all star comics 3 in a 6-7 range in today's market. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-J.

the last 2 cgc 6.0's that have sold at auction this year have gone for 7797 and 8663...

that's down about 20-25% from previous years sales...in fact, all stars in general, have fallen and continue to fall every year...only 2 exceptions are all star 8 which has EXPLODED in price and 36 (been slight increase)...

the last 7.0 to publicly sell was like 6 years ago at 18K or so if you believe prices have softened 20-25% then maybe 15k today. Or maybe 20k. Not enough data points to extrapolate

Makes you wonder if there will ever be a resurgence of some of these old great titles? Flash is all but dead, early Adventures, even Spectre More Fun's are way down from 5-6 years ago.

Not sure. If I were a betting man I would say probably not :cry:

Makes you wonder if there will ever be a resurgence of some of these old great titles? Flash is all but dead, early Adventures, even Spectre More Fun's are way down from 5-6 years ago.

Not sure. If I were a betting man I would say probably not :cry:

For those of us looking to add to and fill in our collections, let them keep sliding. :wishluck:

I purchased this copy at the NYCC a few months ago. I paid less than guide ($14,400) but more than the recent GPA sales Gator quoted. I was willing to pay strongly because All-Star 3 is a huge book for me, one of my top 5 books of all-time, and I wasn't buying to resell, I was buying to keep. I had wanted to upgrade for some time, and this copy was exactly the grade I was looking for.

All-Star%2520Comics%25203%2520CGC%2520F%25206.0.jpg

I purchased this copy at the NYCC a few months ago. I paid less than guide ($14,400) but more than the recent GPA sales Gator quoted. I was willing to pay strongly because All-Star 3 is a huge book for me, one of my top 5 books of all-time, and I wasn't buying to resell, I was buying to keep. I had wanted to upgrade for some time, and this copy was exactly the grade I was looking for.

That's a great looking copy Redfury, congrats on getting such a good deal on it too.

-J.

That's sweet, Todd. It sure is a thrill to find such a key in the grade and price range that you were looking for.

I like the PQ, too! :golfclap: