• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Phoenix area comic shops?

31 posts in this topic

Hey folks!

Just moved to AZ (Prescott, as some of you know) from MN and am getting ready for a trip to the big city to check out some shops, dining, etc. There is jack here in Prescott area for comics, so hopefully the Phoenix area is a little better :wishluck:

Any of you fine folks that live in the area (Phoenix, Scottsdale, Glendale, Mesa, etc.) have any recommendations of the best shops in the area? Annihilus's favorite shops usually include a deep stock of back-issues and a decent depth of stocked supplies, or shops with a lot of character. Of course some shops are unique and have their own attractions....just throw out your favorites.

Thanks in advance!

Did you try Stalking Moon for new stuff up in Prescott? I've known the owner since 1983. He is a very nice guy. All About Books and Comics down on Central is the best IMHO, Alan is a real nice guy I have known him since the 80's as well. A lot of people enjoy Atomic as well (I don't care for their customer service and prices though). As for new stuff including lots of independents try Spaz Dogs on 35th and Deer Valley Shawn is very nice. The store is small, but he orders a lot of the smaller press books.

You're relatively close to me I live off of 39th Dr. and Pinnacle Peak.

All about Books and Comics has a small room off to the side with several thousand copper and newer dicount books from his old store stock (mainly) The main portion has a pretty nice selection of Bronze an newer. (High grade stuff is a rarity) If you don't see something you want just ask. He does get in Silver mainly through consigments to reduce overhead.

Did you try Stalking Moon for new stuff up in Prescott? I've known the owner since 1983. He is a very nice guy. All About Books and Comics down on Central is the best IMHO Alan is a real nice guy I have known him since the 80's as well. A lot of people enjoy Atomic as well (I don't care for their customer service and prices though). As for new stuff including lots of independents try Spaz Dogs on 35th and Deer Valley Shawn is very nice. The store is small, but he order a lot of the smaller press books.

You'r relatively close to me I live off of 39th Dr. and Pinnacle Peak.

Customer service is definately a rare treat (it was tough to come by in the Twin Cities, but there were a couple of shop owners that knew how to do it right). Not absolutely necessary, but they better have a hell of a lot of good merchandise if their service sucks.

Yeah, checked out Stalking Moon....they're a little more geared to the new market than I tend to like, plus they're a smaller 'small town' store, but the store was very clean and well organized. Their hours aren't very friendly though....they're only open 'til 6 and closed on Sunday? The lady in there was very friendly and helpful though.

Spaz Dogs....what a great name! Will have to check that out for that reason alone! (Plus Indys are a great plus).

*Edit - All About Books and Comics sounds good too...will check them out. Thanks for the recommendations!

Can't help you with that, but I keep reading articles about what's supposed to be the best Pizza in the U.S. is a place in Phoenix.

Well, give it up man....what's the name of the place? :cool:

http://www.pizzeriabianco.com/

I've seen approx. 4 articles on this place over the last year or two, including a new one just this week.

Do a search and read a few.

Did you try Stalking Moon for new stuff up in Prescott? I've known the owner since 1983. He is a very nice guy. All About Books and Comics down on Central is the best IMHO, Alan is a real nice guy I have known him since the 80's as well. A lot of people enjoy Atomic as well (I don't care for their customer service and prices though). As for new stuff including lots of independents try Spaz Dogs on 35th and Deer Valley Shawn is very nice. The store is small, but he orders a lot of the smaller press books.

You're relatively close to me I live off of 39th Dr. and Pinnacle Peak.

How long have you lived in Phoenix Brian? I lived there in the 1970's and there was an awesome comic store near ASU called "The One Book Shop". He always had killer stuff. Went back to Phoenix in the mid 90's for a visit and stopped to see if the store was still there, it wasn't. The owner had died just a few months before I arrived.

His sister contacted me through my Overstreet ad, and offered me his store stock. I went back out and she had inherited an impressive stock. Deep runs of silver and copper with many multiples. Some golden age too. I bought a bunch but she wanted way too much (at the time) for all of it. Sure wish I could have scooped it all up. Wonder if it ever sold??

I've been here since 1983. The one book shop sounds fimiliar, but It was on the east side of town, I have always lived out west, Peoria, until a couple years ago. Where you here to see the Lost Dutchman. I loved that store completely trashy and full of old books. The owner didn't deal in new stuff. Sadly he killed himself a few years back. Tom Kalb is out in Tempe and I want to see what he has. I know he has some GA stuff etc as well as OA. I just never find the time to drive out there.

I've been here since 1983. The one book shop sounds fimiliar, but It was on the east side of town, I have always lived out west, Peoria, until a couple years ago. Where you here to see the Lost Dutchman. I loved that store completely trashy and full of old books. The owner didn't deal in new stuff. Sadly he killed himself a few years back. Tom Kalb is out in Tempe and I want to see what he has. I know he has some GA stuff etc as well as OA. I just never find the time to drive out there.

I used to deal with Kalb and his brother back in the old days. I did get to Lost Dutchman a few times. The One Book Shop was on Forest which was closer to us, so Mom would bring us over there once a month to stock up. Once I stated driving in 1978 I was over there a couple times a week

Does Tom Kalb have a store in Tempe?

Stalking Moon was the first comic store I ever went too I bought off the racks at the BX until then. Frank and Mary were great I had a box with them up until they retired and moved up to Prescott and opened a small store to keep busy. Every year they would have a .25 sale and later a cover plus .25 tto reduce their inventory. I bough tons of Bronze off them for next to nothing. After college I worked for them when they had 3 stores for about a year or so until I got a real job.

I lived in Phoenix from Dec 1990 through July 1999. My main buying place was All About Books and Comics. I had a great deal with the store manager Mike. Any time they got Golden-Age Batmans or Detectives they would give me a call and hold them until I decided to buy or not. Picked up my Batman 6 and 9 from them out of an OO collection. I bought a lot from Blake at Lost Dutchman also, especially odd ball golden-age and misc paper items like all the Superman Tim money and some BLBs. I also bought from Stalking Moon but mainly silver age and bronze age. I bought similar items from Atomic Comics in Mesa. I dealt with Tom the entire time I was in Phoenix. I picked up quick a few Golden-Age Batman's and my Daredevil Battles Hitler. Tom use to have a store completely full in Mesa. Tom's brother posted an ad in the paper for Golden Age for sell and I snagged my Batman 2 and 8 from him one night. Also from an OO collection he had bought some years earlier. Wish I knew about it before he sold the Batman 1 from it. I should note I still have all of those books!

Great times in Phoenix ...

I've never been there. Not the best location unless you're into hookers etc.. Not the best area of town by any means at night.

Not the best area of town during the day either. :P

Stalking Moon was the first comic store I ever went too I bought off the racks at the BX until then. Frank and Mary were great I had a box with them up until they retired and moved up to Prescott and opened a small store to keep busy. Every year they would have a .25 sale and later a cover plus .25 tto reduce their inventory. I bough tons of Bronze off them for next to nothing. After college I worked for them when they had 3 stores for about a year or so until I got a real job.

Stalking Moon is also the first comic book store I ever went to as well. I still pop into their store on Greenway and 59th from time to time to pick up some supplies. I know he is not the original owner but he seems to be a pretty nice guy. I did not know Frank was in Prescott Valley until a few years ago when I spotted it from the freeway and had to go in and check it out.

All About Books and Comics on Central is a very good store as well. I usually hit the Samurai Comics in Avondale every few months too.

There is one store in Old Town Glendale that I have not been to yet. Have you checked that one out?

I've been to the one in Glendale once It a very small shop. He is a collector turned dealer. He seemed very nice but his grades and pricing were off and I was never back. I believe he advertises on Craigslist. He had a fair shaped FF 1 for $1,500 if I remember correctly, I wanted to say something but politely left the store.

Annihilus, welcome to Phoenix!

All About Books and Comics is my top recommendation, too. I would skip the Samurai Dog comics store a mile away on 7th. Customer service at Atomic Comics is better in the Chandler and Mesa locations, from my experience. (Didn't care for the Phoenix and Paradise Valley ones.)

Somebody mentioned a store close to ASU. The only one there now is Pop Culture Paradise. It's pretty cramped and it's not a good source of back issues. There were two others, but the anime-focused one thankfully went out of business and the other one went to internet-only with an emphasis on independents.

I live in the East Valley. What's the name of Tom's store and whereabouts is it?