• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gee...... do you think everything on this site is pressed?

362 posts in this topic

Yeah, like pressing threads or the topic of pressing is just a laugh-riot here that people think that a post about all of someone's inventory being pressed is a shiiits and giggles comment

:yeahok:

Hey, I've got a great idea then...

Why don't they proactively disclose which ones have and which ones haven't?

I know it's a totally out-there thought, but it might just quell the dissent. (shrug)

I agree Nick that disclosure would not be a bad thing.

However, i doubt that act would stop the accusations and assumptions regarding Matt (and make no mistake this is who this is about) from being continued.

The next step would be to assume that he isnt disclosing everything and every book that he presses.

Not from me, it wouldn't.

If Matt disclosed, I would not begrudge him his line of work. I might not agree with it, but it would be his decision.

Hell, if they proactively disclosed, I could make informed decisions and maybe even buy from them. I've bought from Stephen Ritter in the past and he's a top bloke. However, as things stand, I'm not going to play the guessing game with their stock and so will have to avoid it. :(

Nick, what is so wrong with you asking if a book is pressed?

How about 'I shouldn't have to'?

Look, if it's colour-touch, it's disclosed. If it's a second print, it's disclosed. If it's signed on the first page, it's disclosed.

Why do I have to be the only one jumping through hoops, rather than clicking a button and simply buying? (shrug)

As i sat here and thought about a response, an idea came to my head:

"Why are we going all over this again" And for the life of me I can't understand why i am.

And this has nothing to do with you Nick, as you know you are tops in my book.

The answer is that the pressing debate is a catch-22

Nick, with your stance on pressing, who DO you buy comics from? As it seems to me that the number of dealers who proactivley disclose is so small, that it would preclude you from buying but from a small amount of sellers.

Great idea.

They know which ones they pressed, so why not reveal it. If the market does not discount pressing, then it should not matter, they will still get their best price.

Here is another great idea, why don't you just ask what has been pressed :shrug:

Great idea.

They know which ones they pressed, so why not reveal it. If the market does not discount pressing, then it should not matter, they will still get their best price.

Here is another great idea, why don't you just ask what has been pressed :shrug:

I'm going to start asking in Chicago. I think if everyone asks, they're either going to get really annoyed with being asked all the time, or they're going to get really annoyed with being asked all the time.

Andy

Gee...... do you think everything on this site is pressed?

Incredibly naive question. Only a small % of books have defects that would be improved through pressing. If you want to argue that a lot of the books that Matt sells on eBay have been pressed, I can accept that, as he seeks out and buys books that have pressable defects. The books that Steve is selling are from his personal collection, put together over decades.

Great idea.

Should my doctor or phamracist tell me about possible side effects of a medication or should I have to ask? Proactive disclosure is not only the right thing to do, it's the smart and ethical thing to do.

Great idea.

I'm going to start asking in Chicago. I think if everyone asks, they're either going to get really annoyed with being asked all the time, or they're going to get really annoyed with being asked all the time.

Andy

I've been saying that for years. Even suggested that NOD members should wear "just ask the ?" T-shirts at conventions. The honest truth is that so few people feel passionate enough about the issue to actually do anything about it.

Yeah, like pressing threads or the topic of pressing is just a laugh-riot here that people think that a post about all of someone's inventory being pressed is a shiiits and giggles comment

I have an idea. It seems the pro-pressing faction here on the cgc boards, outnumbers the anti-pressing crowd by about ten to one, or thereabouts. How about every time someone makes an anti pressing comment, the pro-pressers or the I don't care either way people, just ignore it. Seems like it would either die out very quickly, or end up being a thread where a few anti-pressers talk for a while and then move on. As it is, the hostility of the pro pressing faction seems to heat this topic up every time. Just ignore it and it may go away. The act of a number of pro-pressing people, jumping on a lone anti-pressing person, not only appears unseemly but keeps the debate alive.

Honestly Vince, what if I were to say that anytime anyone made a pro pressing thread and those who did not agree with it to please not bother responding. You would jump all over me and say we were trying to squelch you from being heard.

How about letting people post about whatever the they want to post about no matter what the numbers are for either side? Besides, what else would you expect when someone makes an inflamatory thread such as this?.. Tea, crumpets and small talk about the weather?

And On Topic : I can understand peoples frustration over not openly disclosing and having to work around that aspect of buying, but in the end Ritter is as honest as they come and will disclose if you inquire if a book was pressed. If you want to know the reasoning behind that line of thinking, well ask Ritter or Matt yourself.

I know it's a totally out-there thought, but it might just quell the dissent. (shrug)

However, i doubt that act would stop the accusations and assumptions regarding Matt (and make no mistake this is who this is about) from being continued.

The next step would be to assume that he isnt disclosing everything and every book that he presses.

If Matt disclosed, I would not begrudge him his line of work. I might not agree with it, but it would be his decision.

Hell, if they proactively disclosed, I could make informed decisions and maybe even buy from them. I've bought from Stephen Ritter in the past and he's a top bloke. However, as things stand, I'm not going to play the guessing game with their stock and so will have to avoid it. :(

Look, if it's colour-touch, it's disclosed. If it's a second print, it's disclosed. If it's signed on the first page, it's disclosed.

Why do I have to be the only one jumping through hoops, rather than clicking a button and simply buying? (shrug)

Nick, I agree that people shouldn't have to ask. It should be proactively disclosed. But until those people that are concerned begin proactively asking repeatedly, those who do not proactively disclose will not feel the need. That is how change usually begins.

Nick, I agree that people shouldn't have to ask. It should be proactively disclosed. But until those people that are concerned begin proactively asking repeatedly, those who do not proactively disclose will not feel the need. That is how change usually begins.

:applause:

I am all for proactive disclosure. However, until the broader majority of the hobby accepts and does that, then one needs to as themselves. And on the flip side of that, once people begin asking, then the chance of it being done without asking becomes much greater.

I have an idea. It seems the pro-pressing faction here on the cgc boards, outnumbers the anti-pressing crowd by about ten to one, or thereabouts. How about every time someone makes an anti pressing comment, the pro-pressers or the I don't care either way people, just ignore it. Seems like it would either die out very quickly, or end up being a thread where a few anti-pressers talk for a while and then move on. As it is, the hostility of the pro pressing faction seems to heat this topic up every time. Just ignore it and it may go away. The act of a number of pro-pressing people, jumping on a lone anti-pressing person, not only appears unseemly but keeps the debate alive.

Honestly Vince, what if I were to say that anytime anyone made a pro pressing thread and those who did not agree with it to please not bother responding. You would jump all over me and say we were trying to squelch you from being heard.

How about letting people post about whatever the they want to post about no matter what the numbers are for either side? Besides, what else would you expect when someone makes an inflamatory thread such as this?.. Tea, crumpets and small talk about the weather?

And On Topic : I can understand peoples frustration over not openly disclosing and having to work around that aspect of buying, but in the end Ritter is as honest as they come and will disclose if you inquire if a book was pressed. If you want to know the reasoning behind that line of thinking, well ask Ritter or Matt yourself.

I'd say:"Good idea! You're a genius. Why didn't I think of that?"

Yeah. Every last one of them. (thumbs u

They were going to call the enterprise 'Manufactured Collectibles' but apparently Heritage had already reserved the name. meh

Now THAT's a :signfunny:

:roflmao:

How about you disclose that the reason you are so peed off is because you don't eat vegetables.

Eat some asparagus, learn to love some lettuce you carnivore

445.jpglol

Nice deflection. doh!

Enjoy

:hi:

Nice condescension. (thumbs u

Have fun.

:hi:

Ya see Vince, instead of replying to my post seriously , or talking about the subject matter in this thread you chose to zing a few one liners, why?

The floor is yours brother, I will be quiet. Say what you want to say till your heart is content about that which you say we are stomping on your collective necks.