• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to the site + cgc & I have Q's

19 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Im new to the site & to graded comics. I have been an on/off collector for a long time, and I figured it was about time to start getting some of my stuff graded, and start buying graded items. But I have a few questions... most of which, have probably been asked 1000 times, but i'm going to ask them again :)

1.) I have many autographed comics, from shows in the past. While I know that they cannot be submitted for CGC-SS, can they still be submitted for normal grading? Would the SIG compromise the grading?

2.) I would like to get some comics signed & graded for CGC-SS @ WizWorld Chicago this year from a variety of different artists (Bendis, Tan, Ramos, Calafiore, etc), and I was wondering what I have to do (aside from waiting in line for them)?

2a) I remember seeing something last year @ WizWorld about having to buy a ticket from CGC to have someone come and watch the signing, is that still how it works? If you purchase a "ticket" do you get the cgc person for a certain amount of time, or is it by artist/amount of books/etc?

3.) I bought one of the WizWorld VIP passes, and they have exclusive signings for VIP members - do they provide a CGC representative for those signings?

4.) Is the onsite grading @ WizWorld more costly than the normal grading? Do I just drop books off @ the CGC booth? It it is more costly than normal grading, can I drop books off @ the show, and have them shipped back at the normal rates?

I probably have more questions, but wont remember them until showdate...

I appreciate any help any of you have!

thanks!

The Questions about Signature Series thread is meant to be a resource for people to learn more about the service. I'll be eventually merging this into that thread....

1.) I have many autographed comics, from shows in the past. While I know that they cannot be submitted for CGC-SS, can they still be submitted for normal grading? Would the SIG compromise the grading?

Yes, you can get them CGC graded, although they won't qualify for Signature Series. In most circumstances they would get a Qualified grade (a green label i.e. this book looks like a ____ but has an unverified autograph on it). In some cases it would be graded as a Universal grade and the writing would count as a defect, lowering the grade.

2.) I would like to get some comics signed & graded for CGC-SS @ WizWorld Chicago this year from a variety of different artists (Bendis, Tan, Ramos, Calafiore, etc), and I was wondering what I have to do (aside from waiting in line for them)?

You don't have to wait in line. You can (a) give your books to a Witness, (b) give your books to CGC to get the autographs on your behalf or © --- which does involve you waiting in line --- arranging for a CGC staff member or Witness to come by and Witness the books getting signed. Unless you make a private arrangement with a Witness, check in at the CGC booth BEFORE YOU GET ANYTHING SIGNED. If a Witness is not present it does not qualify for Signature Series.

2a) I remember seeing something last year @ WizWorld about having to buy a ticket from CGC to have someone come and watch the signing, is that still how it works? If you purchase a "ticket" do you get the cgc person for a certain amount of time, or is it by artist/amount of books/etc?

What Wizard sells is "FRONT OF THE LINE ACCESS" SS VOUCHERS. That is, you pay for a Wizard staff member who is an approved Witness to walk you to the front of the creators' line and get your own book signed for as long as it takes to get the book(s) signed and then they walk you over to the CGC booth to submit the book(s) for CGC grading. One voucher per book.

CGC does not sell Witness vouchers. If a Witness is available to come over and watch the signing there is no additional cost above the standard SIgnature Series cost of $27 for a Modern book.

3.) I bought one of the WizWorld VIP passes, and they have exclusive signings for VIP members - do they provide a CGC representative for those signings?

No, they don't.

4.) Is the onsite grading @ WizWorld more costly than the normal grading? Do I just drop books off @ the CGC booth? It it is more costly than normal grading, can I drop books off @ the show, and have them shipped back at the normal rates?

Onsite costs $24 for Moderns and $34 for Modern Signature Series (one autograph, $5 for each additional - depends on the circumstances).

All books in any circumstances, in order to be graded and encapsulated must be dropped off with CGC.

Yes, you can have the books shipped back to you. Generally onsite is cheaper overall because there are no shipping charges.

Thanks,

Kevin

You don't have to wait in line. You can (a) give your books to a Witness, (b) give your books to CGC to get the autographs on your behalf or © --- which does involve you waiting in line --- arranging for a CGC staff member or Witness to come by and Witness the books getting signed. Unless you make a private arrangement with a Witness, check in at the CGC booth BEFORE YOU GET ANYTHING SIGNED. If a Witness is not present it does not qualify for Signature Series.

Thanks,

Kevin

Well, to me, waiting in line & meeting the artist is part of the fun, so I cannot see "dropping off books" in my future - unless I start a business of it :) Im just there for me, presently.

thanks for the answers!

-Mike

Well, to me, waiting in line & meeting the artist is part of the fun, so I cannot see "dropping off books" in my future - unless I start a business of it :) Im just there for me, presently.

thanks for the answers!

-Mike

No problem. Then my suggestion is that if you are lining up with a friend, send the friend over to the CGC booth when you are getting close to the front of the line and one of the CGC staff will come back with your friend to Witness for you. Or if we know a Witness who is in line with you we will introduce you to them.

Many people do drop off their books and still line up - they get more or other things signed (such as hardcovers) for themselves.

(b) give your books to CGC to get the autographs on your behalf

Kevin

I have not heard of this option..I will be going to sdcc and was wondering how this works..Like what if I was interested in getting a Stan Lee SS. Also are there additonal fees to have cgc obtain the signature for me? Thanks in advance.

I have not heard of this option..I will be going to sdcc and was wondering how this works..Like what if I was interested in getting a Stan Lee SS. Also are there additonal fees to have cgc obtain the signature for me? Thanks in advance.

We've been offering this option at the CGC booth for people attending conventions for years now.

Basics --- if you attending a convention and want "full service" SS:

- come to the booth as early as possible with your books and your list of who you want to sign the books

- we complete the invoice together and you are given a total. You are asked to provide payment up front. If you are paying by credit card your card isn't billed until after the fact. The charge is $27 per modern book, +$5 for additional autographs if you want more than one creator to sign the comic. For other tiers, SS price is $5 above the tier price (not including extra sigs).

- we prep the books by placing them in a window bag so that the books are protected during the signing process. They are labelled with your information.

- books that are not signed need to be picked up by end of show. you are not billed for books that are not signed.

We limit and/or refuse requests for full service SS from creators who are not accessible. For example, we do not accept requests for Stan Lee as he limits to 1-2 items per person for a small number of individuals. You can line up and arrange for a Witness to come up for his signings.

(b) give your books to CGC to get the autographs on your behalf .

I have used this method many times simply because I can only wait in so many lines and there is so much to do at SDCC I just do not have the time. CGC has a team of witness which makes it easier for them to do it.

© which does involve you waiting in line --- arranging for a CGC staff member or Witness to come by and Witness the books getting signed. Unless you make a private arrangement with a Witness, check in at the CGC booth BEFORE YOU GET ANYTHING SIGNED. If a Witness is not present it does not qualify for Signature Series.

I have used this method for the hard to get signatures such as Stan Lee or at last years show Todd McFarlane. Just make sure to check in with CGC before you get a signature.

Most important Have FUN.

Kevin,

If I'm bringing books that already have been grade lets say CGC 9.8 and want them signed then you or someone from cgc will crack it open have it signed then reslab it at the grade it had ??

-OR-

Does the person who owns the book have to break it open before it gets signed & the grade is no longer a cgc 9.8 ??

Kevin,

If I'm bringing books that already have been grade lets say CGC 9.8 and want them signed then you or someone from cgc will crack it open have it signed then reslab it at the grade it had ??

-OR-

Does the person who owns the book have to break it open before it gets signed & the grade is no longer a cgc 9.8 ??

I'm not Kevin, but I did this at the last con I went to. I took the slab into the show and gave it to CGC to have it signed. They took it, broke it open, stood in line and got it signed and they take it back to Sarasota. It gets graded again, so your previous grade is NOT guaranteed.

Kevin,

-OR-

I'm not Kevin, but I did this at the last con I went to. I took the slab into the show and gave it to CGC to have it signed. They took it, broke it open, stood in line and got it signed and they take it back to Sarasota. It gets graded again, so your previous grade is NOT guaranteed.

Absolutely correct.

We will remove it from the holder from you if you want it signed -- but there is no guarantee that it will retain the original grade. We take every precaution to ensure that the book is protected, but the book might drop in grade during the signing process... or it might not. There is some risk, and there is no compensation given if it does drop in grade.

Quick question: If I'm at WW Chicago, and want an artist to do a sketch on the blank SI cover & want the book to be graded afterwards, does a CGC witness need to be there when I ask the artist to do the sketch? Or when I pick it up?

Is there a way to get your books signed and graded CGC SS if you are not attending a convention? I have seen people answer yes, but never explain how. Like, I live in San Diego, but I couldn't get tickets to comic-con (for example). Is there a way to get them signed with SS without actually attending the convention? And if so, how? 

Thanks!