• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dudeman's HeroesCon Day Three Report

21 posts in this topic

Day three! Super long line Sunday morning to get into the show which moved very quickly. Looked like a lot of folks buying and not alot of the Sunday discounts going. I was able to pick up a House of Secrets 92 9.0 from the Diamond run from Harley Yee at a great price and put a big dent in some high grade Weird Western I had been hunting down (Thanks Crazy Ed!). After spending three days at the show, it was still funny to see some dealers selling books and action figures (GI Joe especially) with a $10-25 dollar difference between them. In some cases it definitely paid to survey the entire battlefield before pulling the trigger on a purchase!

DSCN0623.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

DSCN0625.jpg

I had a chance to talk again with Matt Brady from Newsarama. Very nice guy!

DSCN0622.jpg

Here is a picture of my wife and Jann Jones. Each time I have had the pleasure of meeting Jann, she has been friendly and funny, and taken the time to talk. She has some work coming out soon with the new Ambush Bug series and I look forward to checking it out.

DSCN0618.jpg

Had a great time talking to my friend Mark Scott (Habib!) from the Comics Corral. Thanks for the House of Mystery Mark!

DSCN0619.jpg

I was browsing through some comics at the Hobby Shop Booth (out of Wilson, North Carolina) when a dream of mine was realized. I had finally met the Nerf Man! Here is a great picture of me and Wally!

DSCN0617.jpg

With the Nerf Man on deck, he was able to get together some fellow boardies for the great 2008 HeroesCon pizza and beer lunch! Pictured below are Wally, Neil (lookwhoitis), Steve (king of rulers), and I. Not pictured is comicparadox who was working a deal for some sweet Avengers OA.

DSCN0621.jpg

I gotta tell you, this small lunch was the highlight of my trip. Spending a little time with my fellow collectors and board members was awesome. I was sorry I missed Pirate, Orangenemesis, and Silvers24, however I am sure we will all meet up in the future. I am finishing this thread smoking the smooth stogie Wally gave me-thanks again Brother! Our community is not so big and I think it's pretty freakin cool to know guys and gals like you all!

Well that is all for now-until the next time I am allowed out to spend money on comics- the Dudeman is out!

1655256-banana2.gifChris

wally texted me at 7 30 in the morning letting me know he was on his way. I got it around 1130 when i woke up from my hangover. I didnt even make it to the con on sunday because i felt like . Glad i got to meet KingofRulers and Neil though.

Wow Chris, that has to be one the best in-depth reports I've seen on Heroes.

you pretty much ventured into just about everything that was worth while at the show

for three days (most impressive).

It was a highlight to meet you as well.

It is not everyday I get to meet a lifer "top kick" First Sergeant! -

Reminds me of one of my fav patriotic statements from one of first patriots of our country:

"I regret that I have but one life to give for my country." Nathan Hale

HOORAH!

So when you going to post that beauty (HOS 92) you picked up?

I for one, I went down on Sunday with JB (comicparadox) for a quick visit, a few beers and

to pick up another book off the old spidey list. I went around to my regulars Harley and Dale

but unfortunately one CGC beauty was all I could find on the final day of the show.

JB was busy trying to talk out a deal on an ultra sweet Avenger OA piece so he wasn't

able to make the lunch-n-brewsky pics at Fuel.

Here's the book that makes it "10 books left on my ASM CGC Run"

asm17.jpg

With the Nerf Man on deck, he was able to get together some fellow boardies for the great 2008 HeroesCon pizza and beer lunch! Pictured below are Wally, Neil (lookwhoitis), Steve (king of rulers), and I. Not pictured is comicparadox who was working a deal for some sweet Avengers OA.

DSCN0621.jpg

Hey nerf, I didn't realize that I had met you before at last year's HC.

Good to see everyone with a BEER too.

Thanks for the reports dudeman. They've been a real tonic for me at work.

DSCN0621.jpg

Hey, is that a beer I see in front of KOR? (tsk)

That's not beer, that's lemonade. :insane:

My con report:

Drove through the night to get to Charlotte. Pretty good sized crowd waiting to get in before the opening. Actually, there was a pretty big crowd all three days. I brought a short box of stuff to sell and/or trade and did all of my selling on the first day. I bought barely anything the whole show though. I got a Batman #232 which I sold during the show. Other than that I bought a super high grade copies of Sgt Fury #56 (I think it's 56--not sure), ASM #238, Conan #23 and X-men #84. Also won the Wieringo/Kesel OA in the art auction. Throughout the weekend I talked with a bunch of board members including: Pirate, dudeman, Dale Roberts, Sal, Chriso, nerfherder, Coin, OrangeNemisis, comicparadox, lookwhoitis and Carolina Comix. Also, I met Anna who is on the boards but I don't recall her board name. All were a pleasure to talk to.

There were two art auctions. An art auction on Friday and Saturday night. On Friday it was at the park across the street outside of the Fuel restaurant. It was all Wieringo art. Pieces were going for a lot of cash. At one point the flashlight cops were trying to stop the auction (and did for about 10 minutes), but things were eventually sorted out. On Saturday, I didn't do much like on Friday. I helped Crazy Ed run his booth when he didn't have any help, and also watched Graham Cracker's booth for a few minutes every now and then. The Saturday art auction was fter the show and was formal and contained many pieces (about 90). It was at a restaurant/bar/club down the street. A cool idea for a change of venue that had FOOD!

Sunday was a kind of laid back day. I didn't really do much of anything besides walk around and talk to people. I went out to lunch (even though I wasn't hungry) with lookwhoitis, nerfherder and dudeman and it was great. Everyone was great to be around. That was my first time meeting dudeman, and he is a really good guy to be around. Super nice with a very positive and upbeat personality--one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. He showed off his new HOS #92 cgc 9.0 Diamond Run copy, while Nerf showed off his new ASM #17 cgc 8.5. Some impressive books. These types of things are the best part of the show.

I will be going next year!

As a side note, I think the posters were either printed in smaller quanitities this year or people took more of them. I wasn't able to get one this year, but fortunately lookwhoitis had an extra one and gave it to me. Did anyone else notice this poster shortage?

Fuel has great pizza, reminds me of the family restaurants in NY.

I hated not being able to meet you there pirate...

I heard you were there on Sat with a truckload of nude variant Conans!

:blush:

maybe next year.

:wishluck:

DSCN0621.jpg

Hey, is that a beer I see in front of KOR? (tsk)

ROFL! I dressed the set in front of the first shot (Read: placed a coke in front of KoR) somehow another pic was taken moments later and that was the one that was published... :whistle:

For the hell of it I took dudeman's con hall set and made a quick panoramic montage...

conhall.jpg

:o That is pretty cool Nerf! The ASM you picked up is pretty here, but looks so much better in person! The colors literally were popping off the cover.I can't believe what a nice looking book that was!

Here is the HOS I picked up-late post because leave ended this week-back to work-ugh!

HOS001.jpg

I am glad to hear that Steve and Neil had a safe drive back to Florida. Hell of a storm heading back to the coast late Sunday.

You guys rock!

1655256-banana2.gifChris

For the hell of it I took dudeman's con hall set and made a quick panoramic montage...

conhall.jpg

:o That is pretty cool Nerf! The ASM you picked up is pretty here, but looks so much better in person! The colors literally were popping off the cover.I can't believe what a nice looking book that was!

Here is the HOS I picked up-late post because leave ended this week-back to work-ugh!

HOS001.jpg

I am glad to hear that Steve and Neil had a safe drive back to Florida. Hell of a storm heading back to the coast late Sunday.

You guys rock!

1655256-banana2.gifChris

:hail: Sweet copy!