• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Board sabbatical on the near horizon

17 posts in this topic

OK, first off, this is no FDQ exit or anything of the such. My family and I just got back from a long vacation and Graduate School starts next week. Due to being on vacation I naturally wasn't around. (I know, I know, and I wasn't missed either. :whistle: )

I got my books for the start of Graduate School yesterday and an outline of the class. My first class starts Tuesday and while I'm still excited, I have to admit there is some trepidation. Maybe it's because it's been 20 years since I graduated with my Bachelors and some of the jargon seems alien to me? Maybe it's the fear that I won't have enough "time" with work, family, house, etc. Who knows. But I keep telling myself plenty of other people have done this and it should be interesting to pursue and open up future opportunitys.

Now, maybe I'll find that time won't be at such a premium after a few weeks or months. (I'm hoping that's the case - but the syllabus has spooked me a bit. lol ) But, with that being said, I felt it was proper to explain why I would be MIA from the Boards in the foreseeable future. It's been an informative 4+ years hear and a lot of fun also. While I may not seek to "stir the pot" or delve too deep in some discussions, I've enjoyed it nonetheless.

Worst case would be brief visits over the next 2 years but I'll think positively and figure that time can be made, just maybe not daily. (And anyone who has done what I'm doing, please feel free to offer up any insight or feedback. It will be appreciated. )

Thanks everyone! (thumbs u

Dan

Dan,

I just graduated from my MA program this past May. In April of 2007 when I first joined here, I was right in the middle of writing the final papers for my 3 classes as well as teaching two undergraduate courses. This past year, I was working on my thesis paper (came out to well over 80 pages) while teaching high school full-time and coaching. I graduated with straight As, nailed my thesis, and my school decided to keep me on board for another year, so if I can do it, I'm SURE you'll do just fine.

The syllabus probably does look a little intimidating (I remember feeling the same way too since I had been away from school for a few years in the military), but it's not bad. Don't undervalue the work ethic you'll have no doubt picked up while in the REAL world that most undergraduates don't have. Really, if you just do a decent job of managing your time, you do just fine!

P.S. This place really is a great place to use for a quick study break (See ALL of my posts from April 07 until mid-May 08 ;) )

Dan,

If you treat your education like a job and set fixed hours for yourself to be working on your studies, you will find that there is still time for family and time for yourself to unwind and pursue your other interests. Every once in a while make sure your interests lie here. :grin: Best wishes on your success,

--Sean.

PS: Don't forget to draw or paint every once in a while as well!

Dan,

If you treat your education like a job and set fixed hours for yourself to be working on your studies, you will find that there is still time for family and time for yourself to unwind and pursue your other interests. Every once in a while make sure your interests lie here. :grin: Best wishes on your success,

--Sean.

PS: Don't forget to draw or paint every once in a while as well!

It's about time for your sabatacal , isn't it , Sean ?? .................... :whistle:

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I started reading some of the books last night. Figure I'll try to get a bit ahead. I think some of the anxiety might subside once the actual class starts this next Tuesday.

As for painting, I started a landscape painting for my wife to put in her office at work. Unfortunetly, it's not motivating me but thinking of other comic related pictures are. Lord, I might have opened a personal Pandora's Box. lol

Dan straight A's, most impressive. Must be one heck of a good feeling to come through all that with top marks.

I can only hope (and work hard) to try and match what Mac Man impressively did.