• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US copies VS. Foreign Copies

33 posts in this topic

Hey those are cool but I was thinking like these (I believe these are Australian copies)

:whistle:Link

English copies.

Australia stopped using pounds & pence in roughly 1966. They moved to decimal but many US .12 cent comics were sold in Australia for AU .10 due to the Australian dollar being stronger than that of the US$

There were 2 options available.

1. purchase the USA version with a price markdown sticker attached or

2. Purchase an Australian B/W reprint made of chaper newspaper grade stock.

Duffman would be able to add so much more to this story.

Anyhow the comics that you have shown are the UK version.

Russ...

IMO as long as my comics are in English I do not care where they are from :D if i can't read it its toilet paper pretty much so I don't even bother with em :)

though I must admit I brought a startrek book that was all in klingon once if that counts? :roflmao: I did not notice it said so on the cover the time I brought it doh!

IMO as long as my comics are in English I do not care where they are from :D if i can't read it its toilet paper pretty much so I don't even bother with em :)

though I must admit I brought a startrek book that was all in klingon once if that counts? :roflmao: I did not notice it said so on the cover the time I brought it doh!

How did you read that it was all in Klingon if it was all in Klingon. :baiting:

Its obvious that you can either read Klingon or are telling a big fat lie. :o

Russ... :foryou:^^

Pence issues are definately cheaper than U.S.$ issues. I think about 2/3

As a general rule of thumb, that's about spot on. (thumbs u

However, the lower the grade, or the bigger the key, and the closer the two will be...also as a general rule.

Last year, I actually sold a Thor #193 pence copy here for full Guide...it was so ing sweet, as well as being a tough book in any currency. :headbang:

Would be interesting to see if this holds for an uber key in high grade. An ASM 1 in 9.6 or AF 15 in 9.4 or something to that effect. Anyone know of pence copy sales in that bracket and what they sold for vs. American counterparts?

Hey those are cool but I was thinking like these (I believe these are Australian copies)

English copies.

Australia stopped using pounds & pence in roughly 1966. They moved to decimal but many US .12 cent comics were sold in Australia for AU .10 due to the Australian dollar being stronger than that of the US$

Russ...

Sorry SilverSurfer

I goofed.

After looking further down your sales thread & seeing the Batman comic it is an Australian reprint.

I thought that you were talking about the Hulk & TOS books.

Russ...

English copies.

Russ...

The Duffman cometh !!

Aussie Russ is spot on here. The (US) books cover priced 12c were sold for a shilling.

Come decimal currency in the wide brown land (14 Feb 1966) a shilling became 10 cents.

Now, there was a minor problem (experienced first hand by me) whereby I walked into the newsagent to get my usual dose of four colour fun shortly after "the change" and the wanted 12 cents, i.e. what was on the cover in US in Aussie dollars and cents - an increase of 20% in the twinkling of an eye and for no good reason.

I figure what happened is that the proprietor saw this as an opportunity to profiteer on the backs of "ignorant kids".

Didn't last long . Pretty soon all the 12c covers (all Marvels at this stage) were being "stickered" with "10c" prices from the distributor, Gordon and Gotch. How do I know this? I have seen and possessed hundreds of books from this period and the sticker is exactly the same on each and every book. And I can't tell you many books got ruined by amateurs trying to remove the thing. Talk about industrial adhesive of a "Paste Pot Pete" strength.

Anyway, the offending book I overpaid for that made me remember this was Mighty Crusaders #4, April 1966.

Thanks for the memories, Russ. I have a Supanova report ready to roll but I am afraid it will get lost in the morass of Wizard stories from Chicago. Your advice sought - publish and be damned in Comics General or hold off for more tranquil waters (there are some good pictures and Harley wasn't there in person so guess who ran his booth :devil: )

Like I said I didn't notice it was in klingon at the time I brought it & clearly I was not able to read it once I noticed if you can't understand that then ... (shrug)

Like I said I didn't notice it was in klingon at the time I brought it & clearly I was not able to read it once I noticed if you can't understand that then ... (shrug)

Don't worry

I'm just meesin with you.

You said that you read that it was all in Klingon. If its all in Klingon how did you read that it was all in Klingon.

Get it.

I know Bad Joke. Haa Haa.

My Bad.

Russ :boo: