• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your earliest and fondest memory of comic books?

36 posts in this topic

In fact, if someone can point me to a list of Arcade appearances, I'd be interested in checking out any of his first five times that I haven't read.

Did a google search. Here is what came up. I will try and find the ones I do not have as well.

ARCADE ( ) - assassin, creator of Murderworld & Murderland, independently wealthy, allegedly inherited enormous sum of money after killing parents, employs Ms. Locke + Mr. Chamber, formerly utilized Brynocki

Genius, devises deadly amusement parks and life-sized games, designer of numerous robots & weapons, wm, red hair

-Mr.A (I#1, D#1, M, OH:AZU#1, ME:X, net)--Marvel Team-Up I#65 (Uncanny X-Men#124(fb), MTU65,66, UX122-124, Classic X-Men#30/2, MTU#89, UX145-147, Daredevils#4, Micronauts I#45, UX177, Wolverine/Fury: Scorpio Connection, UX197, 204, Marvel Fanfare I#50(fb), Excalibur I#4,5 Marvel Comics Presents#31-38, MarvFan50, MCP#99/2, 103, Spider-Man I#25, Northstar2,3, Blaze II#8, X-Men: Prime, Night Man vs Wolverine#0, Wolverine & Gambit: Victims#4(fb), [1],2-4, X-Force + Cable Annual 1995, Green Goblin#10, Colossus#1, XFor76, SensSp29,30, Agent X#5, [uX448(fb)], Claws#1-3, Thing II#1-3

I started buying comics around 1970. I started with Sad Sack, Richie Rich "Our fightin' forces", Ripley's believe it or not" ,"the Twilight zone" and occasionally a D.C. or Marvel Comic. The Hulk is really what got me into hero books and the Defenders 13-16 was my first comic run. Having 4 issues in a row of 1 title was something of an accomplishment for me and creating that little run had me wanting to carry it further. that's when I really got serious about collecting. :)

I remember sitting in my mom's house one evening in my pj's as a very young kid (1972) and my oldest brothers friend Terry Disbro came over with a box of comics that included both marvels and DC. The first issue I pulled out was Daredevil 33 (still have it). That was`when I was hooked.

In fact, if someone can point me to a list of Arcade appearances, I'd be interested in checking out any of his first five times that I haven't read.

Did a google search. Here is what came up. I will try and find the ones I do not have as well.

ARCADE ( ) - assassin, creator of Murderworld & Murderland, independently wealthy, allegedly inherited enormous sum of money after killing parents, employs Ms. Locke + Mr. Chamber, formerly utilized Brynocki

Genius, devises deadly amusement parks and life-sized games, designer of numerous robots & weapons, wm, red hair

-Mr.A (I#1, D#1, M, OH:AZU#1, ME:X, net)--Marvel Team-Up I#65 (Uncanny X-Men#124(fb), MTU65,66, UX122-124, Classic X-Men#30/2, MTU#89, UX145-147, Daredevils#4, Micronauts I#45, UX177, Wolverine/Fury: Scorpio Connection, UX197, 204, Marvel Fanfare I#50(fb), Excalibur I#4,5 Marvel Comics Presents#31-38, MarvFan50, MCP#99/2, 103, Spider-Man I#25, Northstar2,3, Blaze II#8, X-Men: Prime, Night Man vs Wolverine#0, Wolverine & Gambit: Victims#4(fb), [1],2-4, X-Force + Cable Annual 1995, Green Goblin#10, Colossus#1, XFor76, SensSp29,30, Agent X#5, [uX448(fb)], Claws#1-3, Thing II#1-3

Arcade stuff was VERY cool . Speaking of , I think I want to get all his apps. ..............

In the early 70's I remember walking home from the LCS and seeing a flyer for a comic convention at a nearby hotel. Looking at the date and time I realized it was over, but I was so close I went anyway.The room was almost empty when I got there and then I saw "it", a golden age Captain America Comics. It was like a dream, I did not know there was such a thing, it was like seeing a live dinosaur. When I woke the next day I thought to myself "did that really happen?"

I have so many nice memories associated with comics. I remember being sick with the flu, and my dad bringing me a Giant Batman comic. I wondered why Batman's insignia was missing the yellow circle, but dang, those were great stories!

I remember my friend's older brother clueing us into mail order back issues. Never really had a clue how to grade, but the fact that you could order back issues was just awesome.

I remember the jealousy of not being a Foom member, and the insane 8 week wait for my Foom kit to arrive.

I remember the walks after school to the 2-3 places that got new comics the same day (Tuesday?), and the horror of finding them still bound because they hadn't been put out yet. We could see the spines, and the titles, so we knew we were THIS CLOSE, but sometimes it would be the mean lady that would tell us to come back in an hour.

Mostly I recall the exact issues I bought (well, my Dad bought) for the first year and a half in '72 and '73.

Those .20 cent covers are my main CGC collecting goals now.

:cloud9:

I still remember the stack my Aunt gave me back in '67.Her High School P.E. class had donated a bunch of comics they didn't want... to send to the troops in ' Nam.The shipping proved to be too expensive so my cousins and I got them.The trunk of her Chevelle convertible was PACKED. For a youngster like me...it was overwhelming.Seeing a Metamorpho cover at that age blew me away.I got a stack almost as tall as I was .I can't even remember them all...but there were lots.FF 32 and 47 I still remember,also ASM 37....Marvel Tales, ASM Annual 3....I was hooked.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Those poor suckers in 'Nam ended up reading cosmo, hehe.

I always felt a little guilty that they didn't get them and we did.Especially after reading letters in the letters pages about how welcome comics were over there.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

I know my earliest bad memory. I was eight and we were moving to a nearby town and had returned to the old house for something. Some neighbors I didn't know had a yard sale or maybe even an estate sale and there were a ton of comics, more than I had ever seen. And I didn't even get a chance to look through them--money was tight because my parents were changing careers and buying a business. It really hurt because I was nuts about comics. No idea what kind of comics were in there or how old. Didn't have another chance to get true back issues for years after that.

Earliest good memory could be something like reading all the Disneys at Bill Knapp's restaurant or picking out a Junior Woodchucks and having a hot fudge sundae at the Rexall soda fountain in first grade. But I'll probably go with walking next door to the library the whole summer of 1976 and reading Batman from the 30s to the 70s over and over.

I had one kind of like this...a thrift type store in Missouri in 1970....comics on shelves from floor to ceiling all the way down a side wall....10 for a dollar.We had been antiqueing most of the day and mom and dad were too tired for me to look.I always wondered how many FF 1'S WERE IN THOSE 1000'S OF COMICS....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

not the fondest or oldest... but in 3rd grade I was a tutor and they used to have this awards day were you would turn in your accumulated points for some type of award.

Well, they had an assortment of donated items and such, like old books, some stuffed toys. And lo and behold, another kid got it first... it was Fantastic four #1. :pullhair:

Then there was the time I was hungry for money in the early 80s and traded my NM hulk 181 that I got as a little kid (one of my 1st back issues ever in the 1st comic store I ever found for about 5 bucks as I recall)... along with Frank miller's 1st dd, with a few other comics for about 10bucks in trade from my local dealer. :pullhair: Man if us kids only knew now what we did then... but had to have my fix.

BTW... it turned out they were moving a comic shop across the street from my house one week before we moved to another city in 3rd grade.

Did you say fondest memories?

Ah, too many... but they all seem to go back to 7-11, and believe it or not, there was a time when local supermarkets like lucky's and thrifty's and walgreen's even had comics.

not the fondest or oldest... but in 3rd grade I was a tutor and they used to have this awards day were you would turn in your accumulated points for some type of award.

Well, they had an assortment of donated items and such, like old books, some stuffed toys. And lo and behold, another kid got it first... it was Fantastic four #1. :pullhair:

Then there was the time I was hungry for money in the early 80s and traded my NM hulk 181 that I got as a little kid (one of my 1st back issues ever in the 1st comic store I ever found for about 5 bucks as I recall)... along with Frank miller's 1st dd, with a few other comics for about 10bucks in trade from my local dealer. :pullhair: Man if us kids only knew now what we did then... but had to have my fix.

BTW... it turned out they were moving a comic shop across the street from my house one week before we moved to another city in 3rd grade.

The young guys don't remember when there were no comic specialty stores. If you wanted a comic you had to show up at the drug store at the right time. If you missed it you had to search other drug stores or you didn't get it.

Ah, too many... but they all seem to go back to 7-11, and believe it or not, there was a time when local supermarkets like lucky's and thrifty's and walgreen's even had comics.

The young guys don't remember the days before specialty comic stores. Hanging out at the drug store, waiting for your next fix. If a comic sold out before you got there you had to make the rounds of other drug stores hoping to find it.

Hanging out at the drug store, waiting for your next fix.

Those were the days. ;)

Hanging out at the drug store, waiting for your next fix.

Those were the days. ;)

Yep, now people hang out for the drugs. Things were so much purer back then.

i guess it would have to be back in the early 70's when i was between the ages of 3-5 Daddy-0 used to sit me on his knee and read superman comics to me! The one story that stuck with me the most was the one that took place around action 460 or so where lex luthor turned superman and batman into kids and then defeated them! Great covers and stories in that issue! i also vaguely remember a dude named amalak(amalek?) and i think i got read an older story where supes got his eyes closed by a bad guy and a third eye opened up on his forehead that designated some kind of mind control- found it very disturbing!

another great memory was from kindergarten where the teacher read a batty - man bats story but never read the end to us so i went about 30 years wondering how it turned out but thanks to our very own Greggy i now know the ending! Thanks Greggy! Now i can't say you never did me any good!

First important marvel memory would be seeing a copy of captain marvel 28 sitting in our attic and feeling like it called out to me! Opened it up and found some real wonders in that gem. How was the cap'n ever gonna defeat a dude like thanos?

When I was kid in Newport Washington, my mom would give me my brother and sister each a dollar on Saturday and we would walk together to the drugstore in town and each buy comics. Then we would share and read all day to stay out of mom's way while she cleaned house. I still remember when the price went up from 12 cents to 15 cents and affected how many books we could buy.