• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Feedback from the Chicago Comicon

13 posts in this topic

I'm curious what people thought of the Chicago Comicon.

Very weak selection this year, with only 3 major dealers showing up: Anthony Snyder, Albert Moy, and Bechara Maalouf. No real deals or surprises...I personally thought since this show was before the San Diego show this year, something would have popped up.

Any thoughts?

Didn't buy anything, but I do have an amusing story. I was going by Albert Moy's booth and saw that he had the cover art to the Harvey Fighting American reprint from '66. Moy wasn't there so I approached someone working the booth and asked the price. He said he wasn't sure, but probably around 15-20K. That sounded reasonable, so I knew it was wrong lol At Greektown I tell Rhino and Doug Edelman the story. Well, Steve goes to Moy's booth the next day and conveys my story. Moy exploded "What? Who the f**k said that? What *spoon* told him that?" Turns out it was 35K. What a deal I could've gotten if only I had 20K on me.

Did anyone buy anything? I spent a wopping 150 on a mediocre Luke McDonnell Iron Man page...big spender, I guess...but nothing inspired me...

I picked up a doug mahnke JLA cover from JonJesper who set up the purchase through the artist...if that counts.

And Dave Finch did a bad commission piece for me.

Nothing else really struck me either.

C

Did anyone buy anything? I spent a wopping 150 on a mediocre Luke McDonnell Iron Man page...big spender, I guess...but nothing inspired me...

I only bought three interior pages and one convention sketch at WW. While somewhat disappointing, it was also a bit of a relief as I'm still recovering from a prior transaction.

I also picked up a number of pieces from Doug Mahnke thru Jon Jespersen (a JLA cover, a Frankenstein cover and splash, a Justice League Elite cover and some interior pages from JLA, JL Elite, Black Adam & Batman: The Man Who Laughs.

My two buys at the show were a Steve Lightle Flash cover from Albert and a Dr. Fate Countdown to Mystery cover from Gene Ha.

Chicago may not have the best art selection but as comic conventions go, it's just good fun.

I wasn't in the market to buy anything but I was struck by some of the nice stuff I saw there. Albert, Mechara, and Anthony always have a huge selection and the prices that go with it, but that's just how the market is right now. I do have a little sticker shock but what can ya do? I don't go to other big shows, so this is pretty much it for me from an annual convention standpoint. I would like to see more art dealers set up at Chicago. I think Wondercon a couple years ago had a better art selection than Chicago usually does.

Ted from Superworld brought some nice stuff and it was fairly priced (in my opinion).

Bechara's two Kirby pages from FF 26 were lovely to behold. I heard he had those at NY but I don't go to the NY shows, so they were new to me.

Josh Nathanson recently posted some pages he acquired from X-Men 1 on his personal CAF gallery. If you haven't seen them I suggest you go look and drool away.

I posted a con report with pics here. It's a little light on art news, but the weekend was CRAZY fun and the CGC forum comaraderie was worth going in and of itself.

Rhino's Chicago Report

Looking forward to next year! One of these years I really do need to get to San Diego.... hm