• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transplant's Trip Report

16 posts in this topic

It was all I could do not to watch the clock all day at work while I waited for time to leave to catch my flight to Chicago. Eventually it was time. Ran home, grabbed my stuff thought of some things I hadn't packed and my wife dropped me off at the train. I was cutting it close to make my flight. Thanks to the wonderful airlines, I had nothing to worry about. Flight was delayed for an hour. According to the voice in the plane, we would have been another 30 minutes waiting to take off if there hadn't been an air traffic controller's parents on the plane. Rushed to the Hyatt and dropped my stuff on in my room then taxi'd over to the poker game where I made the final table. Didn't finish in the money but I got it all in on the best hand.

Bedrock and Mike from his store and I shared a cab back to the Hyatt. Mike turned in and Richard and I headed inside. What a scene. The lobby/bar/restaurant was filled with freaks and geeks. :cloud9: Got a chance to talk with Richard and Chris (Beyonder) for a while before I spot this long haired rocker coming towards us with a hot little number in tow.

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

From having talked with Roy a good bit on the boards, it was like we knew it each other right away. That goes for Richard too but he's taller than me and I'm easily intimidated. We closed the bar except for Roy who managed to boost a beer (a warm Corona light :sick: ) off a passing stack of beers. When I started spilling mine, I knew the evening was winding down.

IMG_0255.jpg

Roy and Lou left us. Richie, Chris and I headed up to a private room where a large group of people were going; drank a toast to Michael Turner and then decided this was a depressing (and kind of boring) scene. Richie and I left. Did I mention we were by far the oldest two people in the room? I walked with Ricky toward his hotel until I realized I hadn't eaten since lunch and flagged a taxi to drive me to McDs. By 3:30 it was time to turn in.

Woke up at 8:00 Saturday morning bright eyed and bushy tailed. Promptly went back to sleep until 11:30 and didn't get to the con until 12:30. Looked and looked for the Bedrock booth, including one point where I realized later I was standing with my back to the table across the aisle from it. doh! Made several quick introductions, stared at the books on the wall and then headed out to look for some books.

I'm always amazed at the prices some dealers stick on books. But I can't say too much as I asked for top dollar on some of my books. Basically Saturday afternoon was spent quickly checking for books, trying to tour the room, dropping off some subs at CGC, grabbing overpriced terrible con food and heading to the resto seminar.

IMG_0256.jpg

TIMMMAAYYYY and TheWatcher

IMG_0257.jpg

MCMiles' back in the grey shirt, Matt Nelson at the front of the room, the back of Greggy's head, Richard standing tall right by Tec27kid in the blue hat.

IMG_0258.jpg

Nik, Arex and 1Koko (who was able, later, to explain to me why banks were writing off loans that hadn't defaulted yet. 3 words: mark to market).

Afterwards, I made a quick pass through the room and jotted down a few books for Sunday. It was then off to the forum dinner.

End Part 1.

The forum dinner was great. My table had Mr.Schomburg, his friend whose first GA book was so nice it went on the mantle at the dinner (Phantom Lady), QualityComix, both Hotflips brothers, Roy and Lou. I'm not going to mention everyone that I met this weekend as I will invariably leave someone out. But it was so great to talk with the people that I did. I just wish that I had more opportunity to talk with some others, Nik, MK, Greggy, Doc, Ze-Man, in particular. When they made last call a group of us headed back to the Hyatt bar. Said my goodbyes to some people flying out Sunday morning. FYI, never answer yes if Steve Borock asks if you want to hear a really gross joke. Got to chat with Matt Nelson for little while before he retired for the evening. Around 1:30 I had to go to my room before I fell asleep in the chair. On the way back to the room, I ran into Angus Oblong in full clown makeup. Really made the civilian woman in the elevator nervous.

Got to the con Sunday around 10:00. Threw a few books on the wall with insane prices. Got some nibbles but no buyers.

IMG_0259.jpg

Tec27kid, 143sk, Xavier Logan, MCMiles sitting down and I can't remember the two folks on the right. :sorry:

IMG_0260.jpg

MCMiles, DocWatson and 1koko. Doc is showing off his Adams' Tomahawk which is a nice book.

Picked up my subs at CGC. Stinkers first:

IMG_0268.jpg

I think this one was damaged in transit to Chicago. I had it at 9.6-9.8 but didn't check it again before subbing.

IMG_0263.jpg

Missed some stains on the bc. Had it pegged as a 9.0.

The okay ones:

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

The nice ones:

My OO copy:

IMG_0267.jpg

A recent board purchase:

IMG_0264.jpg

End Part 2

When I first got inside Sunday, I made a beeline to Basement Comics and bought this:

STT9fc.jpg

I had originally passed on this book on Saturday as I thought I had a bid on one in the weekly Heritage auction. Checked Saturday night and saw it was a different number. Picked this up early Sunday from Stephen Ritter.

Crippen

TomC6fcCrippen.jpg

The next three were part of a deal with All-American Comics. Before I made the deal, I got some much needed advice SocraticWonder and Tec27kid on the market for the last book. Completed the purchase at 5:00 as the first set of lights was turned off.

FC308fc.jpg

Nice little Barks book I had on my radar.

I was looking for decently priced Quality Spirit books all weekend but didn't find anything that moved me. This book was a throw in to the deal instead of a lower price. Not a Quality but it's a beauty.

SpiritHarvey1fc.jpg

Finally, since I will never own a Tec #8 from which this cover swipes:

Atomic1fc.jpg

Said goodbye to folks throughout the day as they left for flights. I hurried make mine only to find another 1.5 hour delay.

All in all, just a wonderful experience. I could write for days about the great people that I met. There were real movers in the hobby that were just as nice as you can possibly imagine to peons like me. It was great seeing people getting excited about all things comics. Special shout outs to skypinkyblu, ciorac, nochips and TheWatcher. Can't wait until next year.

Excellent report as I was not at the comicon on the Sat. I spent the whole day in downtown Chicago instead hitting the top 3 tourist traps. (thumbs u

This is my buddy Ed who had a fresh goat meat burger at Navy Pier. Tastes a little gamey.

ChicagoWizard08-106.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

Tec27kid, 143sk, Centaurman (who I wish I would have gotten a chance to talk to), MCMiles sitting down and I can't remember the two folks on the right. :sorry:

Looks like Xavier Logan to me and not Centaurman standing next to 143ksk ...

IMG_0259.jpg

Tec27kid, 143sk, Centaurman (who I wish I would have gotten a chance to talk to), MCMiles sitting down and I can't remember the two folks on the right. :sorry:

Looks like Xavier Logan to me and not Centaurman standing next to 143ksk ...

(thumbs u correct, that is russ.... I guess I really need to pull an ciorac and mrschomburg and lose (1 "o") some weight lol