• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comic titles have returned the most money in the last 5 years?

26 posts in this topic

Comics that you bought 5 years ago and could sell for a decent profit now.It looks like hands down the winner is Amazing Spiderman. I am talking runs of a title not just one key. any others? goldenage, silverage, bronzeage etc...

Golden Age Actions, especially war covers, have taken a significant jump in the last few years.

definitely, here's what I would consider the "no brainers" titles, titles that move up more quickly than others.

GA Actions as Jeff pointed out. the war covers of course and any issues under #25 are starting to take off.

Pre-Robin Tecs, these have just become ridiculous in the past two years, I blame Gator. ;)

Neal Adams Batman/Tecs/GL's/and a few other covers here and there, Supes #233, etc.

GA Timely's (of course) esp. Capt. America

GA Supes/Bats, which IMO have just recently started coming on strong. even though they are fairly common.

AF15 in almost any grade.

and as you mentioned Amazing Spider-man in grades in 9.0 or higher (shrug) I'm guessing, don't really know that market too well.

and I've seen a new trend toward collectors buying Fawcetts, (Whiz, Capt Marvel Adventures, etc.) some nutjob out there is buying these left and right. :screwy:lol

Now are you talking about Modern age books or comics in general? I really don't buy a lot for resell but I would think you would make your money off moderns the first few days. In a period like 5 years or more would probaly be Golden or Silver age books. These have always seemed to me to be books that atleast retain value and have a good chance of increasing in valiue over time.

seems to me early FF's in high grade. looking at FF 5 & 12 in particular. About 5 year ago i think an FF 5 in CGC 9.2 was probably around 6K - now fetching over 25K!. i think FF 12 has about 4X value. FF1 has had great returns in 6.0 and above especially 8.0 and up!

Fantasy 15 definitely.,. GA Actions. But havent Spideys been pretty constant in this time period? Or are we starting before the movies? Seems they jumped after Spidey 1 but have stayed pretty consistently high, with a few exceptions.

Runs that have REALLY picked up. The Neil Adams Batman, Green Lantern and Detective. And I would say the Batman is the (minor) loser here, and would put that because of the size. More issues, more duds. Breaking these books into runs would be SA,BA,MA,GA, or artist maybe. So heres my rundown.

GA- I would say the Captain America run is building to be a serious investment, I think the guide is going to be a memory shortly here.

SA- Definately not spider-man ! The SA FF are going for bigger money then 5 years ago, and also the SA X-Men in HG are easy to get guide or better. Everyone has been collecting Spider-Man for so long , many have completed and just upgrade here and there. Also my bets for the next 5 years are the TOS,TTA,ST, Captain America, and Incredible Hulk.

With DC SA - The Justice League of America is gaining more interest, and ANY HG DC is the cash cow now. If you have 9.4 or better, toss the guide out on these.

BA- Neil Adams ! Everyone wants these books , in HG they are like GOLD ! After that, ASM is a BIG money maker in HG. So many keys in the BA make it a tough title to beat.

CA- Nothing crazy here, just keys.

MA- Captain America. The Brubaker run complete sells for multiples of guide, and HG slabs are bringing really nice returns for books only 3-4 years old.

This is my personal opinion based on what I see. Any input ?

The Avengers have been picking up a lot of steam lately....and with Marvel plugging the Avengers movie in Iron Man and the Hulk....who knows ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u (thumbs u

not disagreeing with anything here, but i do agree about the fawcett/captain marvels. i don't know how they stack up vs. primo timelys or any of that, but the fact is, 5-8 years ago you could pick these up, particularly in the lower/mid grades at a steep discount from OPG if you shopped around.

i'm assuming OPG has gone up on all of these books eery year in the last 5-8 and I haven't sold any of them for under OPG and some were above. most of these were beaters.

nothing amazing or anything.