• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading at Comic-Con

8 posts in this topic

I am looking to do some trading at San Diego Comic Con. I've never done this before. Can you guys answer a few of my questions?

1) Do a lot of dealers trade?

2) Which ones do?

3) Any tips on how to go about trading and how to get a good deal?

I like trading. And, I think there is a thread from the past year somewhere in the forums, do a quick search.

1. Yes

2. All of them . . . if you have what they want

3. Negotiate trade value. That should be higher than a wholesale purchase price. And, price isn't the only factor you should push on. Desirability is key. For example, if you're trading high grade early ASM for low grade Dells, push hard for close to guide trade value. The dealer will move the ASM quickly and the Dells would have been in his stock for a long time, so you're doing him a favor.

I traded a bunch of books in Chicago. As others have said, you just need to have books dealers want and want books that dealers are willing to part with. Some dealers want to trade very much in their favor, others are willing to trade closer to FMV for your books.

For example, if you're trading high grade early ASM for low grade Dells, push hard for close to guide trade value. The dealer will move the ASM quickly and the Dells would have been in his stock for a long time, so you're doing him a favor.

um, shouldn't you expect like 3-5X the "guide" value in Dells for your spideys?

For example, if you're trading high grade early ASM for low grade Dells, push hard for close to guide trade value. The dealer will move the ASM quickly and the Dells would have been in his stock for a long time, so you're doing him a favor.

um, shouldn't you expect like 3-5X the "guide" value in Dells for your spideys?

A dealer expects to trade up, especially at a show where he has real overhead. I agreee with Blob tho, a dealer would be happy to trade hard to sell comics for easy to sell comics and give you better than guide value.