• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A New Classification

16 posts in this topic

I think that comic books since the year 2000 (ultimate spider-man #1?) have transitioned into a new era. The print technology and the artwork have reached new heights and I think these comic books should be described as Ultra-Modern to differentiate them from all the comic books from the 80s and 90s.

I think the new classification would help promote new comic books, which are exciting in my opinion, and should be valued more by collectors.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I don't know what it would take to get CGC to adopt this classification, but I know it won't go anywhere if the dealers and collectors aren't on board with it. Sound off and let me know what you think.

Bill.

I think that comic books since the year 2000 (ultimate spider-man #1?) have transitioned into a new era. The print technology and the artwork have reached new heights and I think these comic books should be described as Ultra-Modern to differentiate them from all the comic books from the 80s and 90s.

I think that's already been fixed with Bronze (1970-1985) and Copper (1986 -2000). Modern is now 2000 - present.

Since someone brought up the topic again... I still vote for nice, clean, ages-by-decade.

1960s = Silver

1970s = Bronze

1980s = Copper

1990s = Chromium(?)

2000s = Modern (to be called something different later)

1960s = Silver

1970s = Bronze

1980-1986 = Copper

1987-1997 = Plaidnum

1998-Current = Modern (to be called something different later)

Pat

Plaidnum :roflmao:

O.G. Pat-

Gotta love the Lagwagon references Pat whips out!!! :headbang:

I think that's already been fixed with Bronze (1970-1985) and Copper (1986 -2000). Modern is now 2000 - present.

Really? I always thought the Copper age stopped in the early to mid 90's. (shrug)

It's been defined that Copper started around 1984, but where it ends is still kind of vague and hazy - some suggest the rise of Image, but I personally disagree with that - like with previous eras, they are defined by events, not just the decades the books were published in.

I see Image's rise and fall as part of the process begun in 1984 with Secret Wars and Crisis (Copper is the crossover era and Image Comics was the ultimate crossover, it's also got overarching themes - Dark Knight sparks grim'n'gritty revolution, gimmick sales, distributor wars, nearly complete disappearance of comics from everywhere but the direct market, independant publishers boom and bust, Moore's Swamp Thing/Miracleman/Watchmen/V for Vendetta revolutionize adult comics - leading a brit invasion eventually led by Morrison, Gaiman, Delano and other and ultimately results in Vertigo's rise),

I've always felt that you need to see what fits an overall pattern, and since previous years seem to follow a 14-year cycle (with the Atomic Age being an anomaly --- gold 1938-1952, silver 1956-1970, bronze 1970-1984) that 14 year cycle of Copper that begins around 1984-85 would end around 1998-9 with the rise of the Marvel Knights imprint, Morrison's revitalized JLA, the Authority/Planetary debuts and the sale of Wildstorm to DC, distributor wars are over, Marvel characters jump to the movie screens successfully...

Ultra-Modern? No, What happens is that Modern is the term used to describe the era we are currently in. If it was defined that "Modern" begins in 2000, the previous years would be given some kind of defining term. I think you are a 1-2 years too late and that we already have a term for the previous years.

yeah 6 years is a bit short. I would say...uh, ...

...when was the first diecut, aluminum foil, glow-in-the-dark cover?

;)

Seriously, think Copper should be considered when those artists bolted to start Image or when Marvel filed for bankruptcy.

It's been defined that Copper started around 1984, but where it ends is still kind of vague and hazy - some suggest the rise of Image, but I personally disagree with that - like with previous eras, they are defined by events, not just the decades the books were published in.

Completely agree with this. I consider ASM #122 to be the start of Bronze Age, for example. But I think there is wiggle room for some big titles for having the era start a little later or earlier in their own continuity.

1960s = Silver

1970s = Bronze

1980-1986 = Copper

1987-1997 = Plaidnum

Pat

O.G. Pat-

It's my favorite band. Coming to Colorado again really soon!

Oops I just what my pants?

Pat

1960s = Silver

1970s = Bronze

1980-1986 = Copper

1987-1997 = Plaidnum

Pat

O.G. Pat-

It's my favorite band. Coming to Colorado again really soon!

Oops I just what my pants?

Pat

One of my favorite bands as well :headbang:

I assume you know about the new EP coming out August 19th?

Titled, "I Think My Older Brother Used to Listen to Lagwagon" lol