• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best read of the Year!

37 posts in this topic

the first 10 issues of Y The Last Man are some of the best comics anyone will ever read.

Hey BOC. I chatted with Pia Guerra for a few minutes. Hers was the only sketched I got at the show. I wanted to pick up the compilation (square-bound) edition which has, I believe the first 5 issues. But she wouldn't fess it up ooo.gif

Think it would make a great christmas present for someone who isn't too much into superhero style comics?

Just read the first three issues of Batman/Superman and I have to say that I think it is a great read.

What is it about?

I will try not to give too much away.

Batman and Supes have to team up to overcome a global threat (in the form of a kryptonite meteor) which Lex Luthor is using to turn society against Supes. He puts a billion dollar bounty on Supes which of course brings every baddy AND goody out to get him.

Loeb presents the unfolding events via access to Bat's and Supes unspoken thoughts. A real nice touch is how each action and reaction of Bat's and Supes is critiqued by the other. A lot of mutual admiration for a human who gets around his physical limitations with street smarts and for an alien with super powers whose only thoughts are around protecting his adopted world.

Lot's of action and great art.

Just read the first three issues of Batman/Superman and I have to say that I think it is a great read.

What is it about?

I will try not to give too much away.

Batman and Supes have to team up to overcome a global threat (in the form of a kryptonite meteor) which Lex Luthor is using to turn society against Supes. He puts a billion dollar bounty on Supes which of course brings every baddy AND goody out to get him.

Loeb presents the unfolding events via access to Bat's and Supes unspoken thoughts. A real nice touch is how each action and reaction of Bat's and Supes is critiqued by the other. A lot of mutual admiration for a human who gets around his physical limitations with street smarts and for an alien with super powers whose only thoughts are around protecting his adopted world.

Lot's of action and great art.

Its the "lots of action" that sells it for me. Marvel would do well to follow this a little more - sometimes their books are snooze fests, and I'm a Marvel zombie!

- Dave

I actually hated Batman/Superman... the art is too cartoony, and the story seems contrived and the characterization seems strained... but obviously there's a lot of fans out there, as it usually ranks in Diamond's top 5... so somebody's buying it.

Hey BOC. I chatted with Pia Guerra for a few minutes. Hers was the only sketched I got at the show. I wanted to pick up the compilation (square-bound) edition which has, I believe the first 5 issues. But she wouldn't fess it up ooo.gif

Think it would make a great christmas present for someone who isn't too much into superhero style comics?

Joseph, I think it would make a great present. It has great crossover appeal to non-comic folk. I think Khaos even got some of his non-comic friends hooked on it. It's like a good book, once you pick it up & start reading, you can't put it down. It is for mature readers though (violence & swearing).

Joseph, I think it would make a great present. It has great crossover appeal to non-comic folk. I think Khaos even got some of his non-comic friends hooked on it. It's like a good book, once you pick it up & start reading, you can't put it down. It is for mature readers though (violence & swearing).

He did!

They LOVE it. My girlfriend even loves it! Madness! Though now I must redirect their attentions to 100 Bullets and Preacher... don't think the girlfriend is going to go for those... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And those first two TPS of Y are some of the best comics out there, IMO. thumbsup2.gif

I agree on the two "Y" Tpbs. I am also enjoying the Fables 2 Tpbs and the most recent Fables one shot they put out. I read too many titles consistently. They evoke a reaction while I'm reading them but nothing really lasts and sticks in there to make a lasting impression, but is easily recalled when you guys bring it up. The best reading for me this year would be the Star Wars: New Jedi Order novels that have been coming out...

Flash 201 - the last few pages where you see him tap in the speed force are very cool. Even more so because he does not know what is happening. This makes his impression of the moment even more interesting.

USM, Hush, Y The Last Man, and the first Fables arc were all enjoyable. Ultimate Six has been very entertaining.

Russ

Fables is always really good. Have liked every arc so far. Y is also very good (except the ending of the last arcwas a bit of a letdown). Hellblazer always kicks @$$.

But for consistancy, the best read is 100 Bullets. I have read the entire run (so far) three times, and everytime you pick up something new! Azzarello has written THE BEST crime book ever.

(BTW - Notice a common strand between all these? It's all about Vertigo!)

Other good titles:

USM

Daredevil

El Cazador

LOEG Vol. 2

Chris

Ditto for:

- The Ultimates (best super-hero stuff currently out there),

- Y,

- 100 Bullets,

- LOEG 2 (be sure to read all the text pages to get the full effect though gossip.gif

but here are a couple no one has yet mentioned:

- JSA All-Stars: the new lead stories have been hit & miss, but I love the backups, featuring retro Golden Age short stories, including Howie Chaykin's Hourman, Az & Risso's Dr. Mid-Nite, a sorta Mr. Terrific story written by Michael (Pulitzer) Chabon with Michael Lark art, a Starman reunion of James Robinson & Tony Harris, and a couple others I've forgotten.

- Death and the Maidens: potentially the best Bat-book of 2003-2004.