• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is responsible for determining what words need to be censored on the Boards?

53 posts in this topic

The censorship on this site is simply ridiculous. Can someone explain to me why "i d i o t s" has to be censored?

I don't understand the need for any censorship and the policies here seem at the minimum to be overzealous to me.

Where's George Carlin when you need him? (shrug)

RIP :angel:

on a sports card board I used to frequent, my id was bruinsneedagoalie.

at some point they updated their filtered words and my id, when quoted in replies, became bruinsnee****alie.

took me a second to figure out the were filtering 'dago' out of my ID.

lol

You can go off with just about any racial slur you want, they don't seem to mind the use of those words, they're more interested in blocking words like insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

meh

You can go off with just about any racial slur you want, they don't seem to mind the use of those words, they're more interested in blocking words like insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

meh

which is why I think they are merely blocking out words that reflect against the corporation and not the individual.

Can I still drink a Suffering around here without being blocked?

Apparently not. It seems silly that this board is restricted to folk who are 18 and over, but we can't say or ba$. The filter shouldn't block words you can hear on broadcast TV during the dinner hour.

Apparently not. It seems silly that this board is restricted to folk who are 18 and over, but we can't say or ba$. The filter shouldn't block words you can hear on broadcast TV during the dinner hour.

lol t a r d is blocked!

meh

hm

Brian, go fist yourself :foryou:

:whistle:

this board is A-OK! (thumbs u

meh

hm

"Fist" will be blocked next.

:(

• Administrator

Words the encourage unfriendly arguments over civil discussion are filtered so that people don't escalate disagreements into wars.

So for instance, we would rather the members say things like "No, I think that book isn't all that rare, you just have to know where to look." rather than, "What are you, some kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person? Those things are a dime a dozen on ebay."

If you absolutely have to type it that way, then we'd rather it shows up as "What are you, some kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person? Those things are a dime a dozen on ebay." as it takes some sting out and makes the conversation at least slightly more likely to recover to a civil footing.

The reason why we don't try to hunt down every transgression of the filter is that it's generally not all that worth it unless it becomes epidemic, and because we're primarily concerned with the use of insulting language when it's leading to message board strife rather than every casual use of a negative word.

meh

hm

Actually, "greggy" will be blocked next :wishluck:

hm

hm

Actually, "greggy" will be blocked next :wishluck:

hm

:juggle:

Words the encourage unfriendly arguments over civil discussion are filtered so that people don't escalate disagreements into wars.

So for instance, we would rather the members say things like "No, I think that book isn't all that rare, you just have to know where to look." rather than, "What are you, some kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person? Those things are a dime a dozen on ebay."

If you absolutely have to type it that way, then we'd rather it shows up as "What are you, some kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person? Those things are a dime a dozen on ebay." as it takes some sting out and makes the conversation at least slightly more likely to recover to a civil footing.

The reason why we don't try to hunt down every transgression of the filter is that it's generally not all that worth it unless it becomes epidemic, and because we're primarily concerned with the use of insulting language when it's leading to message board strife rather than every casual use of a negative word.

Yeah, but you really should have shown up in Chicago.

:makepoint:

lol t a r d is blocked!

:cloud9:

They are spooned because this is a corporate owned family friendly message board. You basturds.
Sort of agree...but I suspect it goes in many different directions.

A lot of the words like insufficiently_thoughtful_person are spooned because CGC (and their partners) do not wish to be called that word. You and I can call each other insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and no one really gets bothered by it because we are such good natured fellows. :whistle:

But an organization does not want to be called a collective insufficiently_thoughtful_person. In this sense an organization can become more sensitive than an individual.

To me this explains why some words are spooned that wouldn't ordinarily embarrass my saintly grandmother.

I think it's too much to spoon out the word insufficiently_thoughtful_person and actually causes more harm than good.

For example, if I simply need to tell someone that they are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person but the software prevents me from doing that, I'm more than likely to get frustrated and end up saying something far worse. This then is interpreted by the receiver as being more serious than intended by the sender and it could then get ugly.

I have just spent the morning coming to the defense of the word insufficiently_thoughtful_person. doh!

No you have just spent the morning trying to gleen meaning and associate motives into why the word insufficiently_thoughtful_person was spooned when it isn't really that complicated.

:roflmao:

Honestly, I like individual_without_enough_empathy filter, it allows me to insert my own choice of explative and take offense where none might have been intended, and brush off serious affonts to my person!

Oh and for the record I could care less what words are, or are not filtered. It's just god damned mother sucking low life monkey flushing swallowing insufficiently_thoughtful_person insufficiently_thoughtful_persons insufficiently_thoughtful_persons chat board about comic books and I will manage to work around it , somehow.

:o

They are spooned because this is a corporate owned family friendly message board. You basturds.
Sort of agree...but I suspect it goes in many different directions.

A lot of the words like insufficiently_thoughtful_person are spooned because CGC (and their partners) do not wish to be called that word. You and I can call each other insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and no one really gets bothered by it because we are such good natured fellows. :whistle:

But an organization does not want to be called a collective insufficiently_thoughtful_person. In this sense an organization can become more sensitive than an individual.

To me this explains why some words are spooned that wouldn't ordinarily embarrass my saintly grandmother.

I think it's too much to spoon out the word insufficiently_thoughtful_person and actually causes more harm than good.

For example, if I simply need to tell someone that they are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person but the software prevents me from doing that, I'm more than likely to get frustrated and end up saying something far worse. This then is interpreted by the receiver as being more serious than intended by the sender and it could then get ugly.

I have just spent the morning coming to the defense of the word insufficiently_thoughtful_person. doh!

No you have just spent the morning trying to gleen meaning and associate motives into why the word insufficiently_thoughtful_person was spooned when it isn't really that complicated.

:roflmao:

Honestly, I like individual_without_enough_empathy filter, it allows me to insert my own choice of explative and take offense where none might have been intended, and brush off serious affonts to my person!

Oh and for the record I could care less what words are, or are not filtered. It's just god damned mother sucking low life monkey flushing swallowing insufficiently_thoughtful_person insufficiently_thoughtful_persons insufficiently_thoughtful_persons chat board about comic books and I will manage to work around it , somehow.

Masking. Strike one for Kenny. You insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

meh

I think the spoon filter is a black hole.