• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seems to be a lot of books for sale

15 posts in this topic

Seems like there are a lot of CGC Gold thru Bronze-Age books for sale on eBay and on this forum.

Are collectors parting with their "run of the mill" books to purchase more in Heritage's Auction?

I know I was thinking about putting 10 books on eBay, but I already see a few of the exact same issue and title, so I'm thinking about waiting.

Also, seems like there have been some decent deals on some more expensive books (i.e. $300 and above).

I tried this post the ther day and failed to get a response so I can only speak for myself.

Not another crash post

#306184 - 11/07/03 12:54 AM Edit Reply Quote

I listed some books on E-Bay this week since I am attempting to raise a few dollars for the Heritage auction in Nov. The amount I buy is constrained by a self imposed budget which increases or decreases based on how easy it is to move other books. I paused at this thought and started wondering if this is a common practice? I started wondering how many buyers would cut back on Heritage purchases if the number of unsold books on E-Bay/conventions started growing? I

assume that my thinking is the norm and is obvious but was just wondering?

Seems like there are a lot of CGC Gold thru Bronze-Age books for sale on eBay and on this forum.

Are collectors parting with their "run of the mill" books to purchase more in Heritage's Auction?

I know I was thinking about putting 10 books on eBay, but I already see a few of the exact same issue and title, so I'm thinking about waiting.

Also, seems like there have been some decent deals on some more expensive books (i.e. $300 and above).

I was making the same observation and made comments about it before I saw your post. I agree, there is alot of good high grade stuff out there that hasn't been around for awhile...I think the summer is over, people are less busy and decided to liquidate their books....I don't think it's "the crash is upon us" ! -

I agree with both you and Sfilosa. I had just gotten back a JIM 83 6.5 from CGC, was just about to put it up for auction, AND SAW 2 OTHERS, a 6.5 and an 8.0, up for auction. I am pretty sure there hadn't been another 83 over a 5.5 for months!

There are 3 Flash 105 issues in Featured Items right now, and that seems a lot as well.

I don't know about a crash, But I believe in supply and demand, and I do believe that more and more people are seeing the demand (and the much higher prices that come with it) for CGC graded comics. Therefore, more people are seeing the value in grading and sending their books in. Although I don't think there will be a crash for GA and SA books, I do believe there will be a drop in prices, just because of the sheer volume of high end books. It does remind me of everyone getting in on the dot-com mania, as more and more computers were being sold, and online trading became the norm. The difference is high grade older books don't grow on trees like dot-coms did in the late 90's.(Can I get an "amen!")

Just my 2 cents.

smile.gif

Decent deals on over $300 books? Where? Someone else mentioned JIM 83 and there being a lot of them on ebay. Doesn't seem to be affecting price much. A 6.5 just sold for almost $1900, that's almost double the 6.0 guide price and an 8.0 just sold for over $4500, that's $1300 above guide for a VF. Oh by the way the market is crashing and there are too many JIM 83 floating around.

Decent deals on over $300 books? Where? Someone else mentioned JIM 83 and there being a lot of them on ebay. Doesn't seem to be affecting price much. A 6.5 just sold for almost $1900, that's almost double the 6.0 guide price and an 8.0 just sold for over $4500, that's $1300 above guide for a VF. Oh by the way the market is crashing and there are too many JIM 83 floating around.

No one in this thread has said that the books are out there in higher numbers because of a crash (other than BOC as a joke to get you to sell books cheap!) My opinion is there are more quality books out there because people are still realizing the return of jumping on the CGC "bandwagon" Sfilosa speculated that it might be because of the desire to have more capital for the HCA Sig. auction. Someone else's opinion is that it is the time of year that people list more books. I have the other JIM 83 out there, and I believe it will get over $2000.

I have not been on these forums long, but I have really enjoyed it, and learned a ton. People have helped me (Supa, P.Row, Big Guy), and I have helped people (see ebay fraud alert). But one thing that bothers me is that there is no in between when it comes to opinions on market conditions. If someone says that a book went for a lower than expected price, people automatically assume they are saying the sky is falling. Why does there ever have to be a "crash" per se. Prices can fluctuate lower for various reasons and then go back up x amount of time later. I also think that is why people are sick of market crash threads, because of the extreme opinions that are presented every time.

An example of this is the above post from Lord Rahl. No one said that there are TOO MANY JIM 83 floating around. I did say that there were 3 up for auction in the past 7 days, all 6.5 or over, which was something I had never seen before.

Um, guys - there's that holiday called CHRISTMAS coming up, and people are looking to make some extra cash to buy presents... that could be it.

Also, it is well known that the last two weeks of the year on eBay are AWFUL, just awful, so people may be getting their end of year sales done early?

1) I rated everyone five stars (even Ross who stole (I mean won) the JIM #85 that I was bidding on).

2) This was not intended to be a Market Crash thread. I was just wondering if people were considering sell certain books that they felt would be easy to replace, so that they might have additional dollars to spend on Heritage's Auction. While I don't necessarily have to sell books to buy other books, if I do sell some books, I'm usually a little more aggressive when bidding on books that I really want.

3) Regarding good deals, a few early Silver-Age books that was interested in (and won one of them), all went for less than any previous price that was shown in GPAnalysis. Also, I picked up two books from Comiclink about 3 weeks ago that I felt were very reasonably priced (once again below a confirmed sale price on GPAnalysis).

The books I was think about selling were more "common" type issues. While they are nice Silver-Age books in CGC 9.0 or 9.2, they would be very easy to replace if and when I feel the need. I probably will throw a list on the MarketPlace forum in the next day or two.