• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey Artists

13 posts in this topic

Can anyone recommend an artist that draws a good Spidey, preferably 1980's style. I am thinking of Ron Frenz already, but was wondering if there were others.

If there is another artist, please name him and how I can contact him.

Thanks all!!!!!!

Hi there.

Not sure what you mean by 1980s style with regard to Spidey. Perhaps pre-McFarlane?

Anyhow, Al Milgrom, John Romita Jr, Tom Morgan and Bob Layton all did some nice work on various Spidey titles and can be contacted via their rep, Spencer Beck at theartistschoice.com

Herb Trimpe did some nice work on Marvel Team up and can be reached at herbtrimpe.com

Ed Hannigan did some Spec Spidey artwork and can be reached at mysite.verizon.net/hannigan7/index.htm

Alan Kupperberg can be reached at www.alankupperberg.com and has worked on Marvel Teamup, ASM and Spec Spidey

Rich Buckler worked on Spec Spidey and can be reached at www.richbuckler.com

Hope this helps.

Inker Joe Rubenstein does a lot of commissions. He can be contacted via his CAF gallery. He does a nice job and will often ask you what style you want him to use. You could also have Ron Frenz do the pencils and Joe do the inks.

Cheers!

N

I've got a Frenz and Saviuk in my CAF if you want to take a look to get a feel for their work. I didn't personally commission (buying them second hand), but you can check Catskill Comics for info on Ron's prices--which don't seem too bad comparatively.

Thanks JJ, I appreciate the info!!! What I meant by 1980's style was the way Spidey was drawn from issues 220 or so to 290 - yep pre-Mcfarlane. During that time the artist was mostly Frenz.

That's an interesting comment. Yes, the artist on ASM for most of those issues was Frenz. However, I think he was 'channelling' Ditko for the first several issues of his run as regular artist, and then he 'channelled' Sal Buscema :)

Thanks JJ, I appreciate the info!!! What I meant by 1980's style was the way Spidey was drawn from issues 220 or so to 290 - yep pre-Mcfarlane. During that time the artist was mostly Frenz.

That's an interesting comment. Yes, the artist on ASM for most of those issues was Frenz. However, I think he was 'channelling' Ditko for the first several issues of his run as regular artist, and then he 'channelled' Sal Buscema :)

Interesting comment yourself! I'm going to have to go back and take a look at his early stuff again... hm

JR Jr. He was the artist drawing many of the issues you mention. Although his style has morphed to a more thuggish look, he still has the touch.

Yeah, but you'll pay a hefty premium for JRJR whereas Frenz is a far more attainable.