• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,116 posts in this topic

So I haven't picked up a pencil in years but yesterday my 7 year old daughter says "daddy, can you draw me some superheroes? I signed up for sharing day at school and I want to take in a drawing....but I want you to do it." lol She decided she wanted Bats and Joker. Not having drawn in forever I grabbed a couple of old Batman books, found a couple of Jim Lee panels I liked and cobbled them together into this scene with some artistic license on the shading (I never did learn how to shade properly). Just a number 2 pencil on 14x17 sheet. I got tired around midnight and decided to not to put in any background filler. By the time I was done I remembered why I don't draw anymore. Too time consuming. Joker looks like krapola. Product of fatigue and laziness by the time I was wrapping it up I suppose. Oh well.

Bat2.jpg

Don't sell yourself short, you've got some skill there. And, most art takes time. It's the journey that's a big part of the enjoyment.

Thanks Shadow. Loved your JLA piece by the way. One of the nicest pieces I've seen anyone on here do. I used to love drawing as a kid and in high school. I sort of quit after my kids were born. At 35 I feel like the art ship may have sailed for me. Maybe when my kids are older and I have more free time I will get back into it more. This was just something for my daughter.

Oh yeah, before I forget. I asked my daughter how sharing day went. She said all the boys in the class (these are 7 year olds) thought it was awesome and all the girls were meh . lol Oh well, she liked it so that was good enough for me.

So when are you guys going to start doing commissions to subsidize your comics purchases :)... would be an interesting opp. All boardies opp, cgc slabbed.... nice for some charity like Heroes or something..

I'm currently practicing up on that very notion. My first cover sketch:

7002007171_9f16593017_z.jpg

I painted these in high school nearly 20 years ago. Mix of acrylics and sharpies. They are pretty big, the one with the mirror images of Spawn is 30x40.

photo%203.JPG

30x40?!? Nice! I love big pieces of art.

Don't sell yourself short, you've got some skill there. And, most art takes time. It's the journey that's a big part of the enjoyment.

Thanks Shadow. Loved your JLA piece by the way. One of the nicest pieces I've seen anyone on here do. I used to love drawing as a kid and in high school. I sort of quit after my kids were born. At 35 I feel like the art ship may have sailed for me. Maybe when my kids are older and I have more free time I will get back into it more. This was just something for my daughter.

Oh yeah, before I forget. I asked my daughter how sharing day went. She said all the boys in the class (these are 7 year olds) thought it was awesome and all the girls were meh . lol Oh well, she liked it so that was good enough for me.

You can jump back in at any time. I tackled painting when I was in my late 20's. Now it's what I do the most and I learn something new with each painting.

Might as well put the Surfer here as it is our Board Artwork Repository. Thought I'd sell this one but no takers so it will probably go to a nephew at some point in time. I tried out some silver paint on it.

005-3.jpg

This was supposed to be a "thumbnail sketch", but I got a little carried away. I guess it still is as I plan to redo it on a

large bristol sheet. If that looks good I might reproduce and attempt to ink it. As always, thanks for the chance to share :)

IncredibleHulk-Genesis002.jpg

I used to like to draw many years ago before I was married. I had a decent book of sketches that ended up missing from an in-laws house when I was in the transition of moving. I was really pizzed that this vanished and I know who got them but that's water under the bridge.

Last week I decided to try my hand at a splash page with a cheap set of my daughters colored pencils and an eraser. I would need to get some better stuff if I decide to start up again. Not sure if I enjoy it anymore though. This is crude, but whatever.

itcomplete002-1.jpg