• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,116 posts in this topic

Has anyone here taken art classes?

I've been thinking about attending one to improve my drawing.

For those who have attended one, what type of course was it? Did it help you improve?

So far I have not had much luck as the local college art courses appear to include alot of things I really don't wish to know, i.e. history, fabrics, clay etc.

I have not taken any art classes myself. I have had some tips from artists, and watched a lot of youtube artists do demos and explain techniques... Have you given this a try yet?

I prefer this to classes - I really only care about tips for my problem areas; I do not want a history lesson, nor waste time on things that will not help me.

I did it at school 17 years ago... I'm gonna try the YouTube option first. So much to learn!!

For those who have attended one, what type of course was it? Did it help you improve?

So far I have not had much luck as the local college art courses appear to include alot of things I really don't wish to know, i.e. history, fabrics, clay etc.

I have not taken any art classes myself. I have had some tips from artists, and watched a lot of youtube artists do demos and explain techniques... Have you given this a try yet?

I prefer this to classes - I really only care about tips for my problem areas; I do not want a history lesson, nor waste time on things that will not help me.

If either of you can find some life drawing classes in your area you should try and go to them. Drawing from life is a must and will really help you with anatomy when you can see how things move in person.

Also, I'm not sure if http://www.meetup.com has UK meet ups but it's a great web site for finding like-minded people and for workshops for various activities.

I've met some good people through there (and am also a co-organizer of a fine art nude photography group).

Speaking of photos, I've updated my Flickr site with a bunch of new images and sets.

Click on either of these and it will take you to my Flickr page. If you click the "sign in" at the top right corner you can sign in with either Facebook, Google, or Yahoo and you'll be able to see the NSFW images.

(You might have to change your "safe" level to view them)

Anastasia 7

Anastasia 11

:gossip: shooting underwater in 40 degree water is something I'll never do again!

i want to model for you :shy:

i want to model for you :shy:

I am glad that your in the other end of the country right now.

I went to college for art. So I've taken a lot of fine art classes. My degree was in drawing before picking up the education degree. I also took various photography, design, craft, digital, etc. classes.

Currently I teach art in a public school setting. I also offer private lessons for all ages out of my house and at a nearby museum.

Perhaps checking those outlets might prove beneficial?

Drawing is something that can be learned. I say grab a sketchbook and start drawing. Draw everything and anything. Observation and imagination.

Like other's suggested, YouTube has some good resources...

The book Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain as a lot of activities that I've found to be good for practice. (There is also a full copy of her video on YouTube floating around).

Yes, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is a good book. Also check out "Classical Drawing Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice" it is also pretty cheap for what you get.

:gossip: shooting underwater in 40 degree water is something I'll never do again!

shrinkage

Tell me about it! :cry:

Why didn't you use a heated pool ?

shrinkage

Tell me about it! :cry:

Why didn't you use a heated pool ?

Because it was an unplanned shoot.

When a gorgeous Eastern European girl who I've worked with a couple times before learns that you have the equipment in your vehicle to be able to shoot underwater and your trapped in her hotel room, there's only one answer when she looks at you dead in the eye and says with that accent, "We're doing that, and there's a pool right there" you say "Yes" whether you want to or not. :blush:

I tried to plead with her to not make me do it because it was 50 degrees outside and the water had to be no higher than 40 and she said, (in that accent) "Bah! This is like summer to me. We're getting in the pool."

Never mind that she had another shoot scheduled after me and that her hair would be a mess.

This was in the hot tub after she finally let me not freeze to death. (Yes that's her real eye color)

Anastasia 10

Anastasia was one of my Three Graces in a previous shoot. (I know Mio knows of my Three Graces)

They can also be seen on my Flickr page and on my web site.

I went to college for art. So I've taken a lot of fine art classes. My degree was in drawing before picking up the education degree. I also took various photography, design, craft, digital, etc. classes.

Currently I teach art in a public school setting. I also offer private lessons for all ages out of my house and at a nearby museum.

Drawing is something that can be learned. I say grab a sketchbook and start drawing. Draw everything and anything. Observation and imagination.

The book Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain as a lot of activities that I've found to be good for practice. (There is also a full copy of her video on YouTube floating around).

+1. I also took drawing in univeristy. I started drawing when I was 3 years old and put a lot of time into developing my skill.

My advice is as above.

1. Draw often

2. Draw all sorts of things from anatomy to animals to objects

3. Learn how to draw different shapes freehand. From bsic shapes is the building block to drawing anything

4. learn perspective ( many great youtubes on this )

A drawing class may help but it will depend greatly on the instructor and the fellow students if you actually learn anything.

+1. I also took drawing in univeristy. I started drawing when I was 3 years old and put a lot of time into developing my skill.

My advice is as above.

1. Draw often

3. Learn how to draw different shapes freehand. From bsic shapes is the building block to drawing anything

A drawing class may help but it will depend greatly on the instructor and the fellow students if you actually learn anything.

Ditto.

I started at 3 also. I had a partial scholarship to the Columbus College of Art & Design back in 1984, but it was still too expensive for me to go. So, I chose Marketing... lol (No regrets)

My specialty was drawing and I challenged myself in my late 20's to tackle oil and then acryllic painting. I actually took an evening class at the local high school.

I still find it a great way to relax. And I credit the Boards with getting me to do the superhero work again. It gave me an outlet to share and have others appreciate in addition to my family. And I also get to see the amazing talent here on the Boards and learn some tips. As a kid, I did these superhero drawings all the time and still have some I did at age 12 - 15. (Just found some Micronauts drawings... lol)

My advice is as above.

1. Draw often

Ditto.

I started at 3 also. I had a partial scholarship to the Columbus College of Art & Design back in 1984, but it was still too expensive for me to go. So, I chose Marketing... lol (No regrets)

My specialty was drawing and I challenged myself in my late 20's to tackle oil and then acryllic painting. I actually took an evening class at the local high school.

I still find it a great way to relax. And I credit the Boards with getting me to do the superhero work again. It gave me an outlet to share and have others appreciate in addition to my family. And I also get to see the amazing talent here on the Boards and learn some tips. As a kid, I did these superhero drawings all the time and still have some I did at age 12 - 15. (Just found some Micronauts drawings... lol)

:applause:

I got back into photography after many years of not doing anything with it.

I had been shooting photo essays for newspapers while I was still in high school and after. I upset the school yearbook staff photographers because the rest of the yearbook staff would come to me for all their shoot assignments. Of course they didn't credit me though, the bastards.

I think I spent more time in the high school darkroom than 10 years worth of student photographers combined. It wasn't all just meeting up with the yearbook staff girls either, which sometimes that was nice too. :shy:

I did several photojournalistic weddings and such before I was even old enough to drink. :P

The Dallas Art Institute offered me a half free ride which at the time was still a lot of money. What ended it all was when a "friend" stole all my equipment and sold it for drug money. :(

Life got in the way and it just took a lot for me to get back into it. Plus, my starter wife didn't like any of it because she was as jealous as they come and destroyed most of my photos and negatives. God bless understanding second wives! :cloud9:

Prior to photography I had been on art burnout because my mother started me off in art schools at an extremely young age because she figured out it was cheaper than day care.

I took art lessons at the Toledo Museum of Art when I was in first, second and third grade. That was followed by a year at the Toledo Artists Guild and then a year with a private instructor , Lynn Bloom Draper. Mix in junior high and high school....

Always loved to draw as a kid in the 1970's but I will freely admit there weren't as many distractions back then like DVDs, computer games, endless channels devoted to kids programming, movie rentals, etc. lol All I'd do s try and recreate pictures from comics plus my own ideas.

I took art lessons at the Toledo Museum of Art when I was in first, second and third grade. That was followed by a year at the Toledo Artists Guild and then a year with a private instructor , Lynn Bloom Draper. Mix in junior high and high school....

Always loved to draw as a kid in the 1970's but I will freely admit there weren't as many distractions back then like DVDs, computer games, endless channels devoted to kids programming, movie rentals, etc. lol All I'd do s try and recreate pictures from comics plus my own ideas.

I was in Canton at the time. (thumbs u