• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jumbo 71

8 posts in this topic

How would you folk grade this Jumbo 71? The cover is flat, the corners are (mostly) sharp, the colors deep, and the spine is like a steel rod. The problems are:

1. An annoying chunk out of the front cover above the B in Jumbo.

2. The top left corner has a small tear as seen in the scan.

3. The bottom left corner is slightly blunted.

4. There's a small tear with some color loss at the bottom left near the native's elbow.

5. There's another, smaller tear at the bottom right, by the native's leg. Part of the paper came up as seen in the scan, but has been folded back down. No color loss.

6. On the back cover, a corner has been folded. It's hard to see in the scan, but the fold is about 2 inches long.

Front:

jumbo71f.jpg

Back:

jumbo71b.jpg

I would throw this around the 4.5 range. There is a accumulated list of defects, with more than one tear or chip in the book. I see that crease you mentioned in the back, which isn't that bad. There doesn't seem to be any color break as a result of the crease. The spine roll and low cover reflectivity are detractors as well.

Damn haters mad.gif

I'd say at least 5.5 maybe even fine (6.0)

Why:

-Perfect spine

-Chip missing is rather small

-Crease is on back cover (althought it seems to be way more than 2 inches???)

-Cover reflectivity might be low, but GA books never were as glossy as books today

-There is NO spine roll... slight miswrap yes...but CGC doesn't downgrade for that (in these mid grades)

-Its clean, no soiling or other "stuff" grin.gif

Damn haters mad.gif

I'd say at least 5.5 maybe even fine (6.0)

Why:

-Perfect spine

-Chip missing is rather small

-Crease is on back cover (althought it seems to be way more than 2 inches???)

-Cover reflectivity might be low, but GA books never were as glossy as books today

-There is NO spine roll... slight miswrap yes...but CGC doesn't downgrade for that (in these mid grades)

-Its clean, no soiling or other "stuff" grin.gif

Now, now...there is no need for name calling and foul language. tongue.gif It just looks like a spine roll to me because the staples are all the way in the back. I thought that was indicative of a spine roll. The chip missing is a bit small, but I downgraded because that is not the only piece missing from the cover. The bottom of the cover has tears that result in the small pieces being missing. I guess this just goes to show HOW subjective grading can really be. This IS a Golden Age book though, so that may automatically increase the book by half a grade or so. confused-smiley-013.gif

There's no spine roll on this book. It's as flat as the carpenter's dream. The cover was miswrapped, if anything. The color and reflectivity on this book is really high for a Fiction House book. There's lots of faded Jumbos out there in eBay land. As for the tears on the bottom being tape pulls, I'm not sure what they're from. I've owned this book for over 20 years and that chunk out of the top has been bugging me lately, making me wonder how it would affect the condition.

And you're right about that fold on the back being longer than two inches. I didn't measure when I first posted.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I'll put this bad girl in my database as a Fine.

Having seen some slabbed books with much larger (and many more) "chunks" outta the covers, that garnered high grades, I think the chip at the top of this Jumbo is relatively innocuous.

And I have to agree about the cover colors... the Fiction House books must have been printed with slightly lower quality inks, 'cause generally they have more faded colors. I think FN is a safe grade for sure.