• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Action Comics

187 posts in this topic

Now I am not the expert on this but would it be possible to scan these comics in and post them online so we can read them? I am thinking the copyright has probably expired by now so we may be able to do this (I may be wrong though).

Yes but who's got them to scan in anyway ????

Especially if most of them are slabbed.

I don't believe this posting about Double Action 2 not being on sale. If it wasn't on sale, then there wouldn't be at least seven known copies (after all, there are LESS known copies of New Adventure 13) and it wouldn't have a colour cover. And I'm not so sure it came after Adventure 13. My theory is it was actually printed first, had limited newsstand distribution (a bit like Hawkman 33 in the nineties) and then they re-used the cover picture on a wider distributed comic.

All of which makes me even more determined to see what picture was on the cover of Double Action 1.

"A book called Double Action Comics #2 (dated Jan 1940), possibly intended as a giveaway, was also produced in 1939. It was a 64 page, black & white one-shot, whose contents consisted of pre-hero reprint material and whose cover was identical to Adventure #37. Issue #1 was an ashcan that was never distributed."

Source:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6703/jlcgoldn.html

I'll tell you what though, I'm looking at this site:

http://www.dcindexes.com/covers/index.htm

and I'm totally in love with those Detective covers from 1-30. I really enjoy that type of serious, non-cartoony "baloon-bubble" type artwork. Sans the #27, I take it you have all of those? I'm VERY jealous! I'd love to have them!

How are the stories? Crimson Avenger pretty good?

Here's what's inside Double Action Comics #2. "Contain B&W stories of D. Occult, Hanko, Brad Hardy, Magic Crystal, Hystory and others. Art by Siegel/Shuster, Creig Flessel, T. Hickey, W. Ellsworth, W. Ely, Leo E O'Mealia, Vin Sullivan and others."

Timely

Specifically, Double Action #2 contains the following material:

Two "Dr. Occult" stories by Simon & Schuster (entitled "Vampire Venom" and "The Spectral Killer"); a "Sandra of the Secret Service" story (by Will Ely); a "Sam the Porter" strip (by Alger); two "Hanko the Cowhand" strips (by Flessel); a story called "Pirate Gold"; a "Spike Spalding" strip (by Vin Sullivan); a "Woozy Watts" strip (by Alger); a "Bob Merritt" story (by Leo O'Maelia); two "Mark Marson of the Interplanetary Police" stories (by Hickey); two "Jest Jokes" strips (by Ellsworth); two "Johnnie Law" stories (by Will Ely); a "Jack Woods" story (by Will Ely); a "Little Linda" strip (by Ellsworth); a "Three Musketeers" story; a "Magic Crystal of History" strip; a "Brad Hardy" story (by Hickey); and two "Marty McCann" stories.

No pages are missing, The first and last pages are on the inside of the covers. The publisher's indicia is located on the inside of the front cover.

Here is some additional information on this interesting book: At least one copy has been located that was apparently bought off the newsstands and was not part of the original group that was discovered. That copy is in VG condition and was sold on ebay in 1999. I don't know what it sold for. Finally, it is rumored that of the original 6 books that were found, only two were complete books, while the others were just cover sheets. One book that was on the market a few years ago appeared to have have had its original cover replaced with a high grade cover sheet. I saw the book and it was apparent that the cover had been added because it did not fit the book properly.

Fantastic.

Where does your information come from ???

I know that all seven known copies are full comics, because I think five of them are CGC graded, and Metropolis had two others, and the low grade fair to poor copy was definitely complete.

I was really interested how much of what you listed as being inside came from early New Funs and More Funs, like Sandra Of The Secret Service, and Jack Woods.

I assume this is the same stuff that was repeated in The Big Book Of Fun Comics.

The Doctor Occult original strips were only one page long each issue. I wonder how many Doctor Occult pages ???

The original strip in New Fun 6 is just AWESOME - full of old fashioned mood and atmosphere.

Now do you also know what was in the Number One ashcan ???????

So, RareHighGrade, if you have a Double Action 2 yourself, where did you get it from, how much did you pay for it, is it hopefully not slabbed, and would you consider selling it to help me complete my almost complete DC collection ????

I've had it for many years. It's one of the original books found. I'm sorry, but it is not for sale because I could never replace it. How many DCs are left that you still need to complete your collection?

How much did you pay for it ??

What grade is it in ???

I need 185 as of today