• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MH Chuck is not happy with SDCC...

52 posts in this topic

What was with the reference to the "dead dog" party for volunteers? :shrug: Some elaboration would've been nice (the only reference to a dead dog and a party I know of--and a hilarious one--is from the GREAT movie "Wonder Boys" starring Michael Douglas, Robert Downey, Katie Holmes, and Tobey McGuire...)

As to ignoring the comic book aspect of San Diego, last summer I distinctly recall when IFC (Independent Film Channel) did a little 15-20 minute segment on the San Diego con. And although I realize they're in the film business--there was not one mention of comics at all. Once, the host (Matt Singer?) was in front of a table full of long boxes and I thought, "Okay, this is where they'll acknowledge the comics part of the Comic Con," but no dice. Ah well, like the biblical narrative, the handwriting has been on the wall on this one for a while.

The dead dog party is a traditional Science Fiction Convention wrap up party on the last night of the con attended by the volunteers and any fans still in town. Usually you are so partied out by that time you feel like a dead dog.

:hail: Many thanks. I consider myself enlightened now.

....and myself , ......disillusioned ................... :makepoint:

What was with the reference to the "dead dog" party for volunteers? :shrug: Some elaboration would've been nice (the only reference to a dead dog and a party I know of--and a hilarious one--is from the GREAT movie "Wonder Boys" starring Michael Douglas, Robert Downey, Katie Holmes, and Tobey McGuire...)

As to ignoring the comic book aspect of San Diego, last summer I distinctly recall when IFC (Independent Film Channel) did a little 15-20 minute segment on the San Diego con. And although I realize they're in the film business--there was not one mention of comics at all. Once, the host (Matt Singer?) was in front of a table full of long boxes and I thought, "Okay, this is where they'll acknowledge the comics part of the Comic Con," but no dice. Ah well, like the biblical narrative, the handwriting has been on the wall on this one for a while.

The dead dog party is a traditional Science Fiction Convention wrap up party on the last night of the con attended by the volunteers and any fans still in town. Usually you are so partied out by that time you feel like a dead dog.

:think: You know, maybe there's an argument to be made that enlightenment could lead to disillusion. I think I learned about that somewhere along the line, but would need to hire a publicist to articulate just what it is..........:whistle:

:think: You know, maybe there's an argument to be made that enlightenment could lead to disillusion. I think I learned about that somewhere along the line, but would need to hire a publicist to articulate just what it is..........:whistle:

Methinks a psychiatrist would be 1st on the list ...................................... :whistle:

Enlightenment takes all the mystery out of life.

Enlightenment takes all the mystery out of life.

:think:

Methinks a psychiatrist would be 1st on the list ...................................... :whistle:

Bah, they charge too much per hour. My inventory would suffer threefold. :kidaround:

Bah, they charge too much per hour. My inventory would suffer threefold. :kidaround:

:roflmao:...............................goodnight doofus ........................

You know, he has a partial gripe.

The guy doesn't even promote conventions in his own city. Talking about remembering when there were 1200 people in San Diego? I remember the paltry crowds that the last Denver Con brought.

And why doesn't he attend? Because it doesn't pull in enough cash to warrant attendance (supposedly). Here, he's the big fish that Nintendo is at San Diego Con.

He cares about the buck. Not the book. And for that, I could care less about how he feels.

Pat

You know, he has a partial gripe.

The guy doesn't even promote conventions in his own city. Talking about remembering when there were 1200 people in San Diego? I remember the paltry crowds that the last Denver Con brought.

And why doesn't he attend? Because it doesn't pull in enough cash to warrant attendance (supposedly). Here, he's the big fish that Nintendo is at San Diego Con.

He cares about the buck. Not the book. And for that, I could care less about how he feels.

Pat

:think:

He has a legitimate gripe.
Yep. So many parallels to another company we know and hate...eBay. Forsaking the "little guys" when their britches become too big.

That's the mantra of America's free enterprise today, like Wal-Mart. All the mom & pop operations are dying out. Even farming is no longer a suitable living for the 40-60 acre single-family farmer now.

He cares about the buck.

Doesn't everyone? Should he run his business for free?

Don't get me wrong, SD is free to run their con as they see fit, and there is nothing wrong with maximizing profits by catering only to higher dollar clientele. At least there isn't when you haven't leaned on the "little guys" in the past. In my mind, that's the part that's important. The con asked for help in the past, got it, and now forgets it.

The complaint sounds legit to me, but if it's all that bad then I'm left wondering, why he is going? If any place I do business with pizzes me off that much I just stop doing business with them. Seems like a pretty simple way to get rid of the aggravation. (shrug)

I'm not setting up so I'm not privy to the load-in instructions... but is the problem specifically about this sentence?

Were we asked for our input before it was decided that only the guys who could afford to send palletized truckloads would be allowed to unload at the convention center?

So is the problem that Chuck's books are not on pallets? If a dealer's stock is on pallets, would he be allowed to unload at the convention center?

That's a big difference in my mind.

I have heard all these agruments before, and I do get what Chuck is saying, however I dont care what people say that the comic books have taken a back seat at SDCC, :blahblah:

Yes it has been that way for the past 5 years, but most of the same dealers keep going and still make money.

Weird stuff that dealers couldnt give away on the east coast sell at this show.

When they report the show on TV off course they talk about the movies because the casual watcher would prob change the channel if they started interviewing dealers or comic artists that most of the general public has not heard of.

I mean you know its a pop culture event now, not a comic con because my city has banners and all over the place advertising it!

Do you think they would do that if it was just comics, hm prob NOT.

I am working the con, but I really dont have any plans to buy anything just because its not a buying con like Chicago is. Yes there is alot of good stuff but the prices are so high.

There are so many conventions throughout the USA now, so who cares if SDCC is not a true comic con anymore.

The whole idea is backed with the comic mentality in mind, so that will keep the comic industry going in the future.

Its basically a con where you take all the aspects of pop-culture and dump them in the same room and converse with each other, which I think thats a good thing!

John

Remember it is the Hollywood or TV hype-machine that brings 130,000+ moneyed fans passed his booth.
Yep. They passed most comic dealer's booths. A vast majority of those 130,000 fans are there for something besides comics.

If the huge increase in attendance translated into an equal increase in revenue for comics dealers you would certainly not be hearing any griping. But that is not the case.

Attendance increases, expenses increase, hotel availability decreases, hassles and headaches increase...and sale stay flat.

Food for thought.

I'm not setting up so I'm not privy to the load-in instructions... but is the problem specifically about this sentence?

Were we asked for our input before it was decided that only the guys who could afford to send palletized truckloads would be allowed to unload at the convention center?

So is the problem that Chuck's books are not on pallets? If a dealer's stock is on pallets, would he be allowed to unload at the convention center?

In the past, exhibitors checked in at a marshalling yard and were then directed to the convention loading dock area to unload their trucks, trailers etc.

This year only large box trucks with pre -palleted loads can have access to the docks. Everyone else must unload and palletize their merchandise at the marshalling yard. That material will then be trucked by Convention Center union staff directly to the exhibitors booth with an arrival time over the next 24 hours. This requires exhibitors to be in San Diego a day earlier than previous years (extra hotel cost, which this year is exorbitant to begin with). It also requires that exhibitors have staff on call in preparation for a set-up time that is unknown and dependant on when the Convention Center staff is able to physically get product to the booth.

In the past, exhibitors checked in at a marshalling yard and were then directed to the convention loading dock area to unload their trucks, trailers etc.

This year only large box trucks with pre -palleted loads can have access to the docks. Everyone else must unload and palletize their merchandise at the marshalling yard. That material will then be trucked by Convention Center union staff directly to the exhibitors booth with an arrival time over the next 24 hours. This requires exhibitors to be in San Diego a day earlier than previous years (extra hotel cost, which this year is exorbitant to begin with). It also requires that exhibitors have staff on call in preparation for a set-up time that is unknown and dependant on when the Convention Center staff is able to physically get product to the booth.

Thanks for the clarification! (thumbs u