• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Booooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!! GPA raises prices

239 posts in this topic

Also, to clarify, the new system allows you to login from two unique PCs (regardless of IP address) - when you try and login from a third it will let you know that you need to "de-authorize" the other PCs to continue - this will be allowed on a limited basis per month to see how we go. So for those who use it from home and office (or home and laptop, etc) will be fine. We will be monitoring concurrent connections more diligently now.

Are you guys sure sharing an account is as out of control as this? Groups of 3 or more? I check GPA from both my home and work computers. If you check my account, you'll see logins from 2 different IPs. Would you draw the conclusion I am sharing an account from that

I'm curious about this as well...being that it is a web service and all...I use it where-ever I need it...that is the purpose of the Internets and all. I've used it from many a shared Marriott guest computer while on the road, my family computer...I have 2-3 computers as it is...

Not sure where Bruce and company is getting this info from.

Keeping in mind that I'm not as technically knowledgeable as you... this is what I "understood" the situation to be when talking with George...

Aside from obvious Concurrent Logins (and attempts) from multiple IPs he can also make educated assumptions based on the gap in time (usually short) between logins and new IPs located farther apart than is feasible to travel, etc. He can generally determine a users home, work and/or laptop not with just an IP but with a computer ID too I believe. Anyway, I'm sure he can explain this much better than I... and I'm probably going to say something too "simplistically" that you'll want more technical answers on... so I'll let George comment further when he gets around to reviewing this thread.

It's no joke... account sharing is being abused and its not being confused with people with (usually) 2 different IPs (Home and Work). It goes much further than that.

Bruce,

I'm not disputing what you're saying. On the contrary, I'd be surprised if what you're saying isn't true, but I would like to add one bit.

I often times log into the boards from my home IP address when I'm sitting in my office at work. I have remote access software running on my home computer almost all the time that allows me to log into my home computer from any internet connection in the world. I've logged into the boards from my home computer while I was in Virginia on vacation. I could have (but didn't) logged onto the boards when I was in Belize and then five minutes later logged in from my home IP address, seemingly logging in from two places a 1,000 miles apart in a five minute time span.

I'm just saying this to point out that geography and access logging can be a moot point in some cases.

Where did you stay in Belize? Liz and I got engaged there in 2004. We stayed at Playa Blanca resort on Ambergris Caye and Lighthouse Reef Resort (one week each). Best diving trip ever for me. :cloud9:

I would not want to try to split a dinner tab with someone who complains about one price increase in six years.

There's only one way to split a dinner tab.

50-50

I won't eat out a 2nd time with someone that tries to itemize.

:pullhair:

I would not want to try to split a dinner tab with someone who complains about one price increase in six years.

50-50

Between Louise and I, we dropped about $300 for Greektown in Chicago. It was a $1500 bill with about 30 people there.

We shared one meal between us.

:eek:

I did not drink $270 in booze...at least not until we hit the hotel.

R.

50-50

:applause:

Where did you stay in Belize? Liz and I got engaged there in 2004. We stayed at Playa Blanca resort on Ambergris Caye and Lighthouse Reef Resort (one week each). Best diving trip ever for me. :cloud9:

I was there in May this year.

We stayed one night in Belize City (first night in country), two nights in El Ramate, Guatemala (seeing Tikal), two nights on Caye Calker (snorkeling) and six nights in Placencia, laying on an empty beach.

Pictures

The best vacation EVER. We're going back this winter.

50-50

Between Louise and I, we dropped about $300 for Greektown in Chicago. It was a $1500 bill with about 30 people there.

R.

Maybe my math is rusty, but a $1500 bill for 30 people is $50 per person. I think maybe you did have $270 worth of booze if you paid $300. lol

We stayed one night in Belize City (first night in country), two nights in El Ramate, Guatemala (seeing Tikal, two nights on Caye Calker (snorkeling) and six nights in Placencia, laying on an empty beach.

Pictures

I LOVE the sign at the pharmacy. lol

50-50

R.

Maybe my math is rusty, but a $1500 bill for 30 people is $50 per person. I think maybe you did have $270 worth of booze if you paid $300. lol

If I had $270 in booze then Timmay had $500 and the booze bill was only $400.

Come to think of it...where those $1's or $20's I was counting?

hm

Damng that Greek moonshine was sweet!

50-50

R.

That's pure BS man, I hate that. It should have been $50 a person regardless of what anyone had. Cheep people pizz me off.

Hmmm....

I pay $160/month for a bundled cable tv, phone, and internet service. I probably use it less then 10% of the time its available to me.

I pay $80/month for service on two cell phones for my wife and myself. I always have 80% of my minutes left at the end of the month.

I pay GPA $10/month for a service where I can make back that money on one single purchase of a certified book. Not even an expensive book, mind you, say a 9.8 modern that I'd be willing to hit a $60 BIN on, only to realize that its been trending at $35-$40 over the last few months.

I'd say GPA is the ONLY monthly subscription I currently have that actually pays for itself, several times over in fact in many months.

Seriously, of all the whining and complaining on these Boards I've had the displeasure of reading in the five years I've been here, a $3 increase in GPA really stands out as the worst.

110% spot-on, nail-on-the-head post (all of it). (thumbs u

We stayed one night in Belize City (first night in country), two nights in El Ramate, Guatemala (seeing Tikal, two nights on Caye Calker (snorkeling) and six nights in Placencia, laying on an empty beach.

Pictures

Dude, the sign was great, but the selection inside was f*%*#&g FANTASTIC. :grin:

I really don't understand all the fuss. One will either pay the fee or not. If you don't like it, then don't pay it. Simply as that. Enough with the sissy fits. One could always use the other online service that tracks CGC graded books...

Hi guys - we've been busy making sure the new system was behaving itself last night as we rolled it out, so apologies on not coming here earlier - it's now Saturday morning, so finally some time to get on the boards lol I know, NO life!

So, what are the burning questions?

In a nutshell, we've been looking to implement the changes/features for more than a year now. We took a business decision that rather than build three different systems (as we have implemented now) and the overheads of running them, we would focus on delivering one universal system - this means we can offer additional services/features to everyone in the future and we can better manage our subscribers as they're all on the same level.

The $9.95 tier was by far our largest - so we've settled on that price point as our service charge. The service now offers what Gold level subscribers were paying for ($19.95/m) but with additional features, like portolio management.

I understand some of you are seeing the price jump from the $6.95/m to $9.95/m - I guess the new service will stand up based on its value to you personally. As some others have pointed out we're not an entertainment service - we are here to assist you in your buying and selling decisions. If this saves/makes you money then the service pays for itself.

I think the new features we have implemented (and those coming) will make it attractive to those of you who are trading in CGC books.

So, shoot :)

excuse any spelling errors... still waking up

Waking up? From what? Counting all your money?

:makepoint:

lol

I like the new site George. I find it very easy to use...especially with the "saved titles" which were always a pain to try and get into my auto-complete properly.

Are these programmed based on usage? Can they be changed?

Sorry I haven't had time to navigate the entire site yet...

R.

Pictures

Dude, the sign was great, but the selection inside was f*%*#&g FANTASTIC. :grin:

Those pictures really bring back memories, Brian. Did I see safety rails on the big pyramid at Tikal, those weren't there when we visited. :eek:

50-50

R.

That's pure BS man, I hate that. It should have been $50 a person regardless of what anyone had. Cheep people pizz me off.

Oh, and if the service and food were good it needs to be $60 a person to cover the tip. (thumbs u

Pictures

Those pictures really bring back memories, Brian. Did I see safety rails on the big pyramid at Tikal, those weren't there when we visited. :eek:

All of the "safety rails" we ran into were optional, you could walk around them if you wanted to. (thumbs u

I think we left a decent 20% tip. The food and drink was spectacular! You're coming next year...right?...was that a post I saw?

R.

50-50

R.

Oh, and if the service and food were good it needs to be $60 a person to cover the tip. (thumbs u

There is no way Roy should have paid that unless some people skipped out on paying altogether. I know what myself, greggy, nik, 1koko and Arex paid and it was above the $50 a piece. Any way, Ang has it all figured out for next year. He's great.

Waking up? From what? Counting all your money?

:makepoint:

lol

I like the new site George. I find it very easy to use...especially with the "saved titles" which were always a pain to try and get into my auto-complete properly.

Are these programmed based on usage? Can they be changed?

Sorry I haven't had time to navigate the entire site yet...

R.

Hey Roy, the saved titles section is under your control - you can add and delete titles from there as you like.