• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Special Marvel Edition 15

27 posts in this topic

ok suck was a harsh word I'll admit it. I did get a few good deals at one time but the last time I bought a few golden age books Hit 1, Shield Wizard 1, an issue of Top Notch I cant recall and some other lesser things. I bid at 60% of the guide for the 1/2 a grade less than what they assigned the books and when they arrived they were off by a minimum of 2 grades and the Hit 1 had amateur restoration anyone could spot yet was listed as unrestored. So after being thrilled for winning a key book on my wants for like 1/2 book I have to send it back because its not even close to the grade assigned. How can anyone miss rusty staples a huge stain all the way through the book and grade a book VF? I can understand them missing things when they sell a large run of comics but when its single issues and they book for $300+ a book its a little wacky. On the positive side to reiterate they are very friendly and do offer a refund less shipping though which is more than many of the dealers on Ebay.

the worst ebay transaction I had was with Dan and Showcase NE. I have dubbed him my EBAY nightmare. I bought several books including Showcase 4 and superman 6. hey grading was the worst I have ever seen. he called the superman Fine but it had over a dozen pieces of tapethe held the cover and centerfold inplace. But the Showcase was even worse. It had either been cleaned or trimmed as the book was almost 1/4 inch smaller than the cover. he had agreed to a refund including postage both ways. he withheld postage refund and did not pay mine. when i caqlled to complain he stopped payment on the refund check. only the threat of legal action and suspension from ebay caused him to reissue the check. I ended up with 2 negs and out over $25 dealing with that piece of $%^*

http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//69632-i-2_B.jpg

Just won this one at $39.99, which technicly not much more than the slabbing cost. Surely a crisp copy like this with a nearly imperceptable color touch must have a value of greater than zero. I mean lets face it, a purple label does not mean zero value, it certainly should not drop it more than a grade in this instance.

Opinions?

69632-i-2_B.jpg.4ed63b737b222edf674cea345e49b611.jpg

color touch is bad news on bronze age books, most collectors will avoid it like the plague. especially since there are plentifull copies of this particular book in high grade without it.

that's why you got the book for cheap.

OT:

Seems like there were only 4 MOKF covers done by P Gulacy b4 his current run on Marvel Max MOKF 1-6. Guess that's why 1 collector offered an astounding $1,500 for the rather staid looking orig art cvr to Gulacy MOKF #1 last week.

Count me as another victim of Showcase NE's poor grading. I purchased 4 silver age Superboys from him via eBay, including the first Ultra Boy appearance. Books were supposed to be VF+... plus or minus a quarter grade. So VF to VFNM. All came back FN+ to FN/VF.

I DID get a partial refund, but as I overpaid for the books in the first place - thinking I would be getting high grade - I still came out a loser. IMO, he's one of the worst "major" dealers when it comes to grading. Really, really inconsistent... almost never giving the benefit of the doubt to a buyer. I'll never buy a book from him again.

Back to topic... my copies of SME #15 kind of suck, but I did manage to pick up a cool Starlin fight page from this issue on eBay for $300. Sweet!