• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sex, Drugs, and Violence in Comic Books

91 posts in this topic

2880394024_542950899c_o.jpg

I think that splash would have made a good cover if she added the weight of her purse when hitting the back of his head.

It would be another GGA combined with "injury to eye cover". Wertham would be proud.

It does depend upon how you see the picture (if you know how to look).

bb

Here are some interiors from the Murder Morphine and Me story...not the entire story but just some scans of choice panels...

amazing art..and you can definitely see why it caused such a stir

Thanks for taking the time to post them - some crazy stuff!! :o

I think that splash would have made a good cover if she added the weight of her purse when hitting the back of his head.

It would be another GGA combined with "injury to eye cover". Wertham would be proud.

bb

2885222957_47887c4eba_o.jpg

Perhaps we need to stop thinking about sex and violence. It is almost Playoff times. Even Phantom Lady liked baseball.

bb

Here are some interiors from the Murder Morphine and Me story...not the entire story but just some scans of choice panels...

amazing art..and you can definitely see why it caused such a stir

Thanks for taking the time to post them - some crazy stuff!! :o

Not a problem I loved looking at them again too...BB is the one doing most of the footwork here though...great pics!

bb

Im surprised such a small purse could do such damage, maybe they couldn't take a punch back then...

hey BB are some of these from your own collection?

Here's a scary shot...here's where most of these books with sex and violence ended up I guess...I cringe when i see pics like this...a Chamber of Chills being tossed in I wonder how many crime books were thrown in before this picture was taken?

comicburning.jpg

Police Line Up had some nifty covers that reprinted some Avon paperback covers and the interior had a classic "Religious Murder Cult" story. The name of the Saint was change to Strong.

bb

2865796462_a74d84b7a3_b.jpg

2865796930_89b7fd9064_b.jpg

Art by ?? Could be Hollingsworth or Brewster?

Is that page from the avon above it? It does look somewhat familiar though, I'm trying to place it

Police Line Up had some nifty covers that reprinted some Avon paperback covers and the interior had a classic "Religious Murder Cult" story. The name of the Saint was change to Strong.

bb

Is that page from the avon above it? It does look somewhat familiar though, I'm trying to place it

From what I can tell all listed artists for that publication are Wood, Kubert, Kinstler, Mort Lawrence and Howard Larsen...

Here's a couple of my favourite Avons with covers by some of those mentioned above..I haven't really had a chance to look through the interiors however..I know alot of them contain reprints from Saint etc..

Kinstler cover...

MurderousG4.jpg

Wood cover...

MaskofFu.jpg

ParoleBrkrs1.jpg

Woodcover...

PrisonBrk.jpg

bb

Im surprised such a small purse could do such damage, maybe they couldn't take a punch back then...

hey BB are some of these from your own collection?

None of these Phantom Lady comics were from my collection. I have issue 18, a few All Top issues and some reprints but I don't have these.

The Outstanding Adventure is an imaginary cover. I noticed that someone had a Canadian issue with a Phantom Lady splash page as a cover and I tried to recreate the same thing.

You could probably tell but I thought I would make sure. The Outstanding Adventure original cover is an LB Cole cover featuring Young King Cole

and it is also a reprint of another cover.

Scans of All Top issues were recently posted on Goldenagecomics.Co.UK by someone else and I posted the splash panels here.

All postings are simply to supply information and entertainment and do not designate ownership of copyrighted material.

bb

PS I imagined that Phantom Lady had her purse filled with 8-10 rolls of quarters or a lead pipe.

bb

From what I can tell all listed artists for that publication are Wood, Kubert, Kinstler, Mort Lawrence and Howard Larsen...

I could believe Mort Lawrence did the story (or Brewster) but it is a reprint of a Saint story. They changed the name to Strong but used the same art.

bb

Someone posted this before but it reminds me of one of my favorite Web splash pages.

2888763380_aba1aed0b4_o.jpg

2702328048_0a6d478d9c_o.jpg

Definitely violent and not very sportsman-like.

bb

PS The Web scan was color touched a little with Photoshop.

I've been trying to get a nice copy of that Underworld 7 for a long time now...cant seem to find a reasonable copy...love that cover though...I like that splash as well...my dad once gave a talk at a media conference and mentioned the word "Japs" only in context and another prof. in the audience there made a big stink about it...I guess he never read old comics before....amazing how they used to be drawn with the fangs and everything....reminds me of some the depictions of other races in some CDNP covers by Biro...

2889387313_ee5185017a_o.jpg2889387245_85272d3c87_o.jpg

I like those Avon paperbacks from the fifties but the Big Four cover reminded of art from the Mask of Fu Manchu.

2889386861_4bef60e54b_b.jpg

Fu Manchu scan from Goldenagecomics.UK

My new scanner seems to work better on paperbacks. I will have to find another box and start a new thread.

bb

Twistty1,

I think the first story is by Wood and the second is Hollingsworth. It is a very nice job by Wood and a very collectible book. Later art by Wood was cleaner but not as creative I think. I think that his art was influenced by Foster at that early stage but in the sixties they wanted him to draw like Kirby.

bb

I always thought these were a bit over the top. Lynching is pretty violent and injecting dope is a pretty obvious example of drug abuse.

bb

2899458779_9a58f1c66a_o.jpg

2899458549_9501d99453_o.jpg

It looks like he has some jaundice too. Liver damage does that (and sometimes a scanner can do that for no reason).

bb