• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sex, Drugs, and Violence in Comic Books

91 posts in this topic

I noticed a pretty good center fold for this comic which is available on line. It also relates to the more recent story "V for Vandetta". I did find an interesting comment which might have been inspired by supporters of the opposite side. A common phrase is that Fawkes was "the only man to ever enter parliament with honest intentions".

bb

November 5th is the big day for fireworks in England to remember the day that Guy tried to blow up parliament.

2845632947_9ec91c5480_b.jpg

According to my sources, he was tortured, hanged, drawn and quartered, hopefully in that order and not burned at the stake. This belongs on the sex, torture and violence thread.

Twisted in Toronto,

I am not sure which hooded cover you are looking for. I have a scan of the snake bite cover and the death ray cover.

I am assuming you want the snake bite since there are hooded characters. I kind of like the mad scientist cover which I actually own.

I am looking for a copy of Fighting Yank 23 if you got one. Both covers fit into the bondage and torture categoy.

bb

2840800150_6c03d5f1d6_o.jpg

2839966459_211a5522cd_o.jpg

Sorry dont have a copy of that particular one, although I wish I had...

I love Wertham's reference to hidden pictures in comic books. Here's my copy of Jungle 98, book actually looks better than in the scan, I just wish the orange hadn't faded so much, the scan shows the tanning and stains quite a bit, ugh!. Looking to upgrade if anyone has a fresh copy.

Can you think of any other examples of hidden pictures? I think Wertham really stretched it here.

Jungle98.jpg

There are two different references used, one by Wertham in SOTI where he claims an interior panel has a picture within a picture, which I personally think is a far stretch. I scanned the picture from my copy of SOTI. The second is from Nicky Wrights' book "The Classic Era of American Comics" where he states that some of the pictures leave little to the imagination and references the cover of this comic and it's phallic use of the sword's sheath.

Hiddenpics.jpg

hiddenpics2.jpg

An undervalued comic in my opinion...

I did notice the sword sheath immediately thinking that's a stretch but did not think of it as a "hidden" picture. Not symbolic at all, just a sword sheath IMHO.

Also I really think (from the article above) that people "see" what they want to see.

That shoulder example is laughable and as far as drawing women to excite, well these artists could draw the female figure VERY well! Any person would consider the artwork attractive.

Murder, Incorporated started out with a bloody splash but since it was a Fox comic, the blood was Vulcan blue. I changed it back to red so you could count the gun shot wounds.

2860344455_6973bcc2d9_o.jpg

Treatment of the woman on page 12 was also rather harsh. Sex and violence. Just like a Hollywood movie (too many since the Godfather).

bb

2861173430_43297fa5a3_o.jpg

Not as bloody as the recent Grindhouse movies but certainly not what they wanted the kiddies to see in 1948.

Police Line Up had some nifty covers that reprinted some Avon paperback covers and the interior had a classic "Religious Murder Cult" story. The name of the Saint was change to Strong.

bb

2865796462_a74d84b7a3_b.jpg

2865796930_89b7fd9064_b.jpg

Art by ?? Could be Hollingsworth or Brewster?

Murder, Incorporated started out with a bloody splash but since it was a Fox comic, the blood was Vulcan blue. I changed it back to red so you could count the gun shot wounds.

2860344455_6973bcc2d9_o.jpg

Treatment of the woman on page 12 was also rather harsh. Sex and violence. Just like a Hollywood movie (too many since the Godfather).

bb

2861173430_43297fa5a3_o.jpg

Not as bloody as the recent Grindhouse movies but certainly not what they wanted the kiddies to see in 1948.

I have that issue, great books...I must open it again and look at that panel...

Probably one of the most famous pre-code stories was Murder, Morphine and Me by Jack Cole.

I don't have an original but it has been reprinted many times.

I thought about scanning to present an example of Cole's crime comic work but then I found this 3-D version.

So put on your special glasses and view this great effort by The 3-D Zone.

2873323070_2363c3ac40_b.jpg

Probably one of the most famous pre-code stories was Murder, Morphine and Me by Jack Cole. I don't have an original but it has been reprinted many times. I thought about scanning to present an example of Cole's crime comic work but then I found this 3-D version. So put on your special glasses and view this great effort by The 3-D Zone.

2873323070_2363c3ac40_b.jpg

I'll have to look for mine in one of my 3-D ec's...great book....I have that one...True Crime 2

I also have a nice reprint of the entire story in Jack Cole and Plastic Man...

sc003c84b1.jpg

Here are some interiors from the Murder Morphine and Me story...not the entire story but just some scans of choice panels...

TrueCrimeinterior1.jpgTrueCrimeinterior2.jpgTrueCrimeinterior3.jpgTrueCrimeinterior4.jpg

amazing art..and you can definitely see why it caused such a stir...I scanned these pages from the Jack Cole book, I didnt want to scan my True Crime 2..actually the printing in the comic doesn't seem as nice as the Jack Cole book...seemed like it was slightly off set...

Also some of my favourite sexy covers from my collection...and proud to say the girl on the Reform cover is a Canadian...Not sure what the interior to that book is like though, one day I may open it up....but for now I just love looking at the iconic cover...

ReformSchoolGirl.jpgPhantomLdy17.jpg