• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight disappoints with $66.4 million.

28 posts in this topic

Personally I'm more amazed at the staying power of Hancock.

With all the "funny book" crepe out there, it's not surprising that the public is looking for an anti-superhero movie, but just imagine if it had actually been any good. :o

Yeah, this is going to break some records.

Inflation breaks records, not movies.

Agreed, although recent numbers for movies like Spider-Man 3, Iron Man, etc are still impressive.

I think they should publish the number of admissions sold, instead of these millions of dollars --- the sheer number of "butts in the seats" is more meaningful.

I think they should publish the number of admissions sold, instead of these millions of dollars --- the sheer number of "butts in the seats" is more meaningful.

Not likely, as the HW hype machine only publishes stats that make them look good.

Thanks for the chart. I wonder how video sales revenue adjusts the listings?

Not much, as even the best-selling DVD wouldn't put a dent in those numbers, and virtually all of them have high VHS/DVD sales totals.

The only one that might move up appreciably is Titanic, which was by far the best-selling VHS and has done extremely well on DVD too.

But overall, it's probably a wash.

crazy how the sequel is gonna make WAY more money than batman begins.

Well, that's because the vast majority of money-grubbing sequels suck major hass, and if they actually are as good, or even better, than the original, the sky's the limit in terms of $$$.

Can you even imagine how much money The Phantom Menace could have made, had it been even remotely close to the quality of SW or ESB? It would have set every record in the book, maybe even adjusted too.

Thanks for posting that list, JC! I was thinking of Googling it but don't have to now. I assumed GWTW was #1 adjusted for inflation.

GWTW had the distinct advantage of 1)being a great film (of course), but also (2) being one of only 63 films released in 1939 (compared to 200+ for most recent years), (3) running in theaters constantly from 1939 to 1945, being a gigantic hit during WW2 both in America and especially in England.

Can you imagine one of today's blockbuster films running in first run theaters almost constantly for 6 years? Today's films are in and out of theaters in under 2 months to grease the wheels of cable and video rental/sales. In a world without TV, much less DVD or Cable you can see how a film this good, with this long of a theatrical run would make this much money adjusted.

I keep thinking of Star Wars. If the world had no TV, no Cable, No DVD or Home Video and less than 1/3 of the competition set it today's film world how much money it would make and how long it would have run in theaters.

C

Personally I'm more amazed at the staying power of Hancock.

With all the "funny book" crepe out there, it's not surprising that the public is looking for an anti-superhero movie, but just imagine if it had actually been any good. :o

What did the Superhero Movie spoof make? lol

I wonder if Parker will retract his doom and gloom predictions for the DC movie franchise?

(shrug)

He should!

The movie was fantastic and is making tons of money. I went this afternoon and there was not an empty seat in the theater.

I keep thinking of Star Wars. If the world had no TV, no Cable, No DVD or Home Video and less than 1/3 of the competition set it today's film world how much money it would make and how long it would have run in theaters.

C

If you're talking about A New Hope, then it could've shattered everything.

The Phantom Menace... that one belongs in the trash can.

C

If you're talking about A New Hope, then it could've shattered everything.

The Phantom Menace... that one belongs in the trash can.

Goes without saying... (thumbs u

C