• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very small world: Tme Machine visit

56 posts in this topic

Sooooooooooooo.......I log off the boards, take a cab to 14th & 7th, find the Time Machine, ring the bell, and walk up to the windowless door. I open the door and think to myself "WOW! A real comic shop!". Old comics, toys, magazines, movie posters, books and such linning all the shelves and walls, even the counters and bins have stuff piled on them. Walk up to the owner, who looks very familier and tell him I am a friend Matteni's (sp?). He puts on a big smile and says "Great, btw, don't I know you?" I told him my name and he said "Oh, no wonder you look familier". We talk for awhile and figure out that we used to do all the same NYC shows in our younger and crazier days. We started trading funny stories about those small shows and the people we knew. Rodger is a real super nice guy!

I pick out a 1st year anniversary High Times mag and then ask to see the T.V. guide # 1. Rodger says he just got in a bunch of the and points to a long box. I start going through the books and after a few minutes, this father & son walk in. The kid has an AC/DC T-shirt on, and the father says to him what every kid who loves comics wants to hear "Take all the time you need, we are in no hurry."The kid starts looking at older books and I go back to minding my own business looking at the T.V. guides.I finish picking out what I wanted to buy and Rodger says it is going to take a while to price them. I said "no big deal, as I need to get lunch". I ask him where a restaurant close by is that has great food and where I can order a glass of wine. He really does not eat around that area, so I said "Hey, it's NYC, I will just walk down the street and find something. As I start to walk out, the kids dad is walking out and asks me where I am going, I tell him my plans and he decides to go with me for a beer. We go across the street to a little Italian place, we order and start to talk about his son collecting comic books. I tell him I just retired from CGC and the guy is ready to call his son over to meet me. I told him not to bother the kid because I am heading back to the shop when we leave anyway. Guys name is Bill and you can tell he really loves his kid and supports his comic collecting.We get back to the store and I meet his son; Conner. Bill tells me Conner told him he knew who I was when he walked into the store. Conner has a small stack of 50's comics and when I ask him where he does the grading tests his dad told me about, he say's "Your boards", I said that was cool and asked him his board name. He said CAPFREAK. Holy cow! I have spoken to him on the boards! Great kid!!!!! Really knows and love comics!

I finish up buying my books, Bill lends me $ so I don't have to walk 8 blocks back and forth to the Bank of America ATM, and then we all walk and talk all the way to 23rd & 8th, give Bill back his $, and we share a cab to both our destinations.

Made two new friends today!WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Steve,

Did you buy any comics, or just the mags you mentioned? Did they have a good selection of GA or SA in the store?

I bought a GN ("Stagger Lee" it is also one of the worlds greatest songs!) and a High Life mag #1 w/ Belushi on the cover.

I didn't look at comics because the tv guides took up soooo much time, but I will be back because he has a good selection of GA & SA books, but 90% is Bronze & up.

Cool story Steve...kinda makes me feel all tingly...my Dad always supported my comic "habit" and never rushed me or my brother in and out of stores (usually a drug store back then) ...thanks for sharin' ... ;)

Steve,

Did you buy any comics, or just the mags you mentioned? Did they have a good selection of GA or SA in the store?

I bought a GN ("Stagger Lee" it is also one of the worlds greatest songs!) and a High Life mag #1 w/ Belushi on the cover.

Stagger Lee is terrific! Have you read it already?

I didn't look at comics because the tv guides took up soooo much time,

Pre-nationals, I hope!

(I'll never forget that clip of Phil and Lenore Levine showing their stuff!)

but I will be back because he has a good selection of GA & SA books, but 90% is Bronze & up.

Must be a relief to be a "private citizen" again.

Jack